The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

France: Mandatory breathalyzer test in ALL vehicles

key2thecup

I see both sides of the argument here actually, its tough. I see the point of preventing D&D'ing, but I also understand the point the other side is making about gov't encroachment.

If its for people WHO HAVE D&D'ed then it makes sense (like we have now here), punish the offenders not everyone.

Judging from the posts in this thread, it seems a lot of you did not read the article.

Its for a mandatory breathalyzer but NOT the immobilizer you see in people convicted of DUIs. Its just any old breathalyzer test. The driver is not forced to use it before starting his or her car. Its not going to do a whole lot for stopping drunk driving and its not overly intrusive.

I personally think its pointless because I doubt its going to have a lot of people use it and change their mind about driving. Also, its government heading one step in the direction of Big Brother.

so rather than present an argument as to why you disagree with me you insult me and call into question my mental health .

i will tell you what i am , i am a person who takes responsibility for his actions and does not want/need people telling me how to live my life .

Judging from the posts in this thread, it seems a lot of you did not read the article.

Its for a mandatory breathalyzer but NOT the immobilizer you see in people convicted of DUIs. Its just any old breathalyzer test. The driver is not forced to use it before starting his or her car. Its not going to do a whole lot for stopping drunk driving and its not overly intrusive.

I personally think its pointless because I doubt its going to have a lot of people use it and change their mind about driving. Also, its government heading one step in the direction of Big Brother.

No they were not, but clearly their point still stands. To say otherwise is ignorant.

Oh really?

The Patriot Act

Free Speech Zones (whatever those are)

SOPA/PIPA whatever its being called these days.

The Espionage Act

No more Habeas Corpus

FEMA Camps

TSA

Income Tax is a fraud

Property Tax is a fraud

Carbon Tax is a fraud

Interest is a fraud

I dunno, sounds like a lot of stealing freedoms and money is going on to me.

Clearly the point stands? It's not so clear to me, care to explain how this encroaches onto your rights and freedoms? Go ahead, I'll wait.

Can I use other laws that benefit the people to contradict the point you think you are making by pointing out freedom-encroaching laws?

And let's not pretend that I see the government as representative of the people's wishes as it stands today.

Clearly the point stands? It's not so clear to me, care to explain how this encroaches onto your rights and freedoms? Go ahead, I'll wait.

Can I use other laws that benefit the people to contradict the point you think you are making by pointing out freedom-encroaching laws?

And let's not pretend that I see the government as representative of the people's wishes as it stands today.

Their point. Not the point. The points of men much wiser than either of us. If you fail to comprehend their simple meanings, that's really too bad for you, but don't expect me to explain them to you when none is needed. So wait all you want.

So you admit there's laws that encroach on our freedom? Right after saying the government doesn't do that? Good Game.

Point out all of the other laws for all I care. Freedom isn't a game of balance, there isn't any amount of "contradictory" laws that will make up for the ones that strip us of our rights and freedoms. Your thought process on this subject is frightening.

And your last sentence makes no sense.

All my life I've heard how alcoholism is not a problem in Europe. Everyone has a glass of wine with their meals and people learn from a young age to treat it the same as any other beverage. Everytime someone wants to change the laws to make it more accessible they point to Europe. I've always said this is not Europe and simply making alcohol more accessible isn't going to magically transform social norms. Recently theatres here lobbied to serve alcohol and used the Europe arguement. One third is a staggering number. Clearly alcohol is a larger problem now than in the past in France. It is not your fathers' Europe any more.

Edit: For the record I strongly oppose this law. It is frigthening how people jump up in support, just frightening. Do you know that in the UK there are government cameras in the homes of "problem families" to assure Big Brother that the children are properly cared for and other problems are under control??? And the people there feel this is acceptable!?!?! We are lining up pleading for our rights to be seized.

Somebody does not have a sense of humour.

Anyways, are you okay with people's right to bear firearms? I've never heard anything from you about it and don't know your position on it, but if you're of the belief that it's not guns that kill people and a few criminals shouldn't ruin it for the rest, then at least you're consistent and I can respect you for it.

That's ironic considering your whole argument stems from a post in which I only used words of famous people.

I'm really not going to bother. Why should I? I can listen to Butthead here, trying to tell me what Freedom is all about...

Butthead

or a Founding Father.

Thomas Jefferson

I choose the latter. So continue your argument for a tyrannical big brother, nanny state if you'd like, I'm tuning out.

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” (Thomas Jefferson, To Archibald Stuart in Philadelphia 1791.) details.gif

so the majority has to give up another freedom because of the mistakes of very small minority , where do we draw the line ? i do not drink and i believe that if you kill someone while driving under the influence you should be charged with murder , but this is a ridiculous idea with so many ways to circumvent it .

Archived