Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

France: Mandatory breathalyzer test in ALL vehicles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#31 ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:36 AM

Give it a few years and I am sure Russia will have a law for breathalyzers in their vehicles to make sure they have drank enough.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#32 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

Do we wait till after the fact that someone has been run over and nail the culprit for it, or would we rather prevent it in the first place?

Endanger your own life all you want, but putting others at risk is something you have no right to do!

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” (Thomas Jefferson, To Archibald Stuart in Philadelphia 1791.) Posted Image
so the majority has to give up another freedom because of the mistakes of very small minority , where do we draw the line ? i do not drink and i believe that if you kill someone while driving under the influence you should be charged with murder , but this is a ridiculous idea with so many ways to circumvent it .

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#33 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

This law makes so much sense; watch the big government fear mongerers eat this one up.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#34 dank.

dank.

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:43 AM

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Benjamin Franklin

Place me not with those who are weak of mind and willingly give up the rights of others, for these poor ignorant souls know not that the rights they give up are their own!

Warren Friton

The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated in the name of the noblest causes

Thomas Paine

The trade-off between freedom and security, so often proposed so seductively, very often leads to the loss of both

Christopher Hitchens

When your response to everything that is wrong with the world is to say, 'there ought to be a law', you are saying that you hold freedom very cheap

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Posted Image

#35 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

From here on out, every time a French citizen takes the test, freedom will cry out in pain.

#36 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

I'd be ok with it, provided the government who passed the law pays for the installation and maintainence of said device, otherwise it reeks of a cash grab, I'd rather we put some teeth into laws banning multi-time offenders from ever driving again.

oh wait, that might violate the criminals rights, this is Canada we wouldn't want to do that would we?

mqdefault.jpg

#37 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

It will be once it breaks on me and I have to repair it, lest I go without an auto.

Yeah, but you could say the same thing about any accessory part on a car.

#38 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbv5BGeXzcY

I always thought this was in Serbia?
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#39 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

All my life I've  heard how alcoholism is not a problem in Europe. Everyone has a glass of wine with their meals and people learn from a young age to treat it the same as any other beverage. Everytime someone wants to change the laws to make it more accessible they point to Europe. I've always said this is not Europe and simply making alcohol more accessible isn't going to magically transform social norms. Recently theatres here lobbied to serve alcohol and used the Europe arguement. One third is a staggering number. Clearly alcohol is a larger problem now than in the past in France. It is not your fathers' Europe any more.

Edit: For the record I strongly oppose this law. It is frigthening how people jump up in support, just frightening. Do you know that in the UK there are government cameras in the homes of "problem families" to assure Big Brother that the children are properly cared for and other problems are under control??? And the people there feel this is acceptable!?!?! We are lining up pleading for our rights to be seized.

Edited by nucklehead, 03 July 2012 - 06:50 AM.

#40 mrawfull

mrawfull

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

I'd be ok with it, provided the government who passed the law pays for the installation and maintainence of said device

And where does the government get their money from? It wouldn't be the taxpayer (meaning you) by any chance would it?

#41 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

Give it a few years and I am sure Russia will have a law for breathalyzers in their vehicles to make sure they have drank enough.

They should invent a car engine that runs on the alcohol from their breaths as fuel.

#42 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

And where does the government get their money from? It wouldn't be the taxpayer (meaning you) by any chance would it?

You might want to try reading the entire post rather than just half of it. Since you seem to have missed it:

I'd rather we put some teeth into laws banning multi-time offenders from ever driving again

mqdefault.jpg

#43 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Personally, I would like the french law a lot better if it was slightly tweaked:

All new cars should be forced to have one come pre-installed, but old cars would not be required to have them, unless the primary driver of said older car has been previously convicted of a DUI.

Would that please those that are against this law?

Thats much better. I would not want to fork out the money personally to install something on my car considering I am always DD anyways.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#44 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” (Thomas Jefferson, To Archibald Stuart in Philadelphia 1791.) Posted Image
so the majority has to give up another freedom because of the mistakes of very small minority , where do we draw the line ? i do not drink and i believe that if you kill someone while driving under the influence you should be charged with murder , but this is a ridiculous idea with so many ways to circumvent it .

You're sounding like a right wing libertarian now. Are you sure you're alright? I think you should be looked at by a doctor. :)

#45 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Benjamin Franklin

Warren Friton

Thomas Paine

Christopher Hitchens

Dr. Thomas Sowell

I'm sure when they said those words, they were talking about a piece of equipment that tells you if you're too intoxicated to operate heavy machinery on public roads. Is there a camera that comes with the device? Does it transmit the results of your breath test to the government? Does the government prohibit you from doing anything you were legally allowed to do previously? Government isn't some boogeyman out to steal your freedoms and money.

This isn't an example of government tyranny, to say so is laughable. Now please, amuse me with more quotes about fighting tyranny in under your dad's steering wheel.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#46 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,808 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

your family friend dying is a tragedy... However it should not be used as an excuse to punish/harrass millions of innocent people with....Tougher sentences on drunk drivers, automatic lifetim driving bans... anything as long as it punishes the guilty.. i will never accept uniform laws that punishes millions of innocent people for the sins of a few...

:picard:

So, you're in favour of removing security check points at airports and other travel infrastructures?

Lifetime driving bans? There are people who drive out there without a license so that's not going to stop some.

Maybe we should just do away with getting licenses in the first place - just because someone can't pass a test doesn't mean they can't drive a 2 ton vehicle in a safe manner.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#47 dank.

dank.

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

I'm sure when they said those words, they were talking about a piece of equipment that tells you if you're too intoxicated to operate heavy machinery on public roads. Is there a camera that comes with the device? Does it transmit the results of your breath test to the government? Does the government prohibit you from doing anything you were legally allowed to do previously?

No they were not, but clearly their point still stands. To say otherwise is ignorant.

Government isn't some boogeyman out to steal your freedoms and money.

Oh really?

The Patriot Act
Free Speech Zones (whatever those are)
SOPA/PIPA whatever its being called these days.
The Espionage Act
No more Habeas Corpus
FEMA Camps
TSA

Income Tax is a fraud
Property Tax is a fraud
Carbon Tax is a fraud
Interest is a fraud

I dunno, sounds like a lot of stealing freedoms and money is going on to me.

Edited by dank., 03 July 2012 - 11:13 AM.

Posted Image

#48 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,808 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

No they were not, but clearly their point still stands. To say otherwise is ignorant.

Oh really?

The Patriot Act
Free Speech Zones (whatever those are)
SOPA/PIPA whatever its being called these days.
The Espionage Act
No more Habeas Corpus
FEMA Camps
TSA

Income Tax is a fraud
Property Tax is a fraud
Carbon Tax is a fraud
Interest is a fraud

I dunno, sounds like a lot of stealing freedoms and money is going on to me.

How are any of those fraud?

"In criminal law, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and also a civil law violation. Defrauding people or entities of money or valuables is a common purpose of fraud, but there have also been fraudulent "discoveries", e.g., in science, to gain prestige rather than immediate monetary gain."

The governments need money to run the country, provinces, municipalities, cites, etc.
How is the government supposed to provide all the services if there's no taxes?

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#49 dank.

dank.

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

How are any of those fraud?

"In criminal law, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and also a civil law violation. Defrauding people or entities of money or valuables is a common purpose of fraud, but there have also been fraudulent "discoveries", e.g., in science, to gain prestige rather than immediate monetary gain."

The governments need money to run the country, provinces, municipalities, cites, etc.
How is the government supposed to provide all the services if there's no taxes?

Because they're not legal, yet they're enforced as if they are.

Your helpful post of the definition confirms the fact. Intentional Deception, indeed.

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#50 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, but you could say the same thing about any accessory part on a car.

Is the radio, speakers, power windows, or air conditioning absolutely vital to a car?

If those break down, c'est la vie. You bought lemon parts; too bad. If my blower breaks, I'll pay for the towing fee (can't drive the the mechanic), the parts, and the repair costs, not to mention the cost of renting an auto if my job requires me to travel distances.

#51 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

I like it. If you've been drinking, blow into your device. If under legal limit do what you want; if over legal limit and get caught driving, jail time should be sentenced for neglecting the safety of others. sounds good to me.

Posted Image

#52 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

guilty until proven innocent come to mind...

Not really. Driving is a privilege, not a right. If want to drive on public roads, you'll have to follow the rules.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#53 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Not really. Driving is a privilege, not a right. If want to drive on public roads, you'll have to follow the rules.

Is it a privilege when your taxes pay for the infrastructure?

---

I see both sides of the argument here actually, its tough. I see the point of preventing D&D'ing, but I also understand the point the other side is making about gov't encroachment.

If its for people WHO HAVE D&D'ed then it makes sense (like we have now here), punish the offenders not everyone.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#54 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,808 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Because they're not legal, yet they're enforced as if they are.

Your helpful post of the definition confirms the fact. Intentional Deception, indeed.

Thomas Jefferson

I disagree - for example, Income Tax in Canada is legal:

http://taxpayer.com/...e-taxes-illegal

"The power of the federal government to impose income tax for federal purposes is firmly grounded in Clause 3 of Section 91 of the Constitution referred to above. It does not depend on any interdelegation of legislative power from the provinces. It matters not a wit legally that the federal government chose not to exercise the power until 1917, nor does it matter that what was to be merely a First World War revenue source continues to be with us today."

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#55 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

lol @ libertarians

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#56 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

lol @ libertarians

Oh those kooks!

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#57 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

You're sounding like a right wing libertarian now. Are you sure you're alright? I think you should be looked at by a doctor. :)

so rather than present an argument as to why you disagree with me you insult me and call into question my mental health .
i will tell you what i am , i am a person who takes responsibility for his actions and does not want/need people telling me how to live my life .

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#58 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

The people test themselves before they drive so the car will still start up if you're drunk.

Edited by hsedin33, 03 July 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#59 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,311 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

The people test themselves before they drive so the car will still start up if you're drunk.

What a silly system to integrate into a car..

Introducing the new "Breathalyser Start System" for the new Honda Civic.

No.. Doesn't appeal to me.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#60 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Wait, it will start up?
That doesn't seem like the best idea.

Jagermeister.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.