The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remaining Free Agents?

Ewok

There's a caveat on any of these suggestions, which is that there may still be guys coming here from the assumed goalie trade. Look for additional players in the 2C-3C area, right wing, defense and possibly back-up goalie.

For what's out there:

Centers - Arnott (for 1 year). He did fairly well for St. Louis last season, and he could probably be had for a reasonable cap hit $2.5ish million?). He could fill in at 2C until Kesler is back up and running, and after that he could be the 3C.

Left Wing - I don't think the Canucks need any help on the left side (Sedin, Booth, Higgins and perhaps Volpatti).

Right Wing - Doan could fill in the missing top-6 right winger which the team needs. After him, there's not much left except guys who could fill a bottom-6 role. With the re-signing of Pinizzotto any great needs in this area are diminished somewhat.

Defense - There's guys like Kubina, Carle, as well as others who could fill the Canucks' need for a big d-man but at what cost, what length of term, and at what drop-off in ability (if any) from the guys who are currently here looking to fill the bottom pairings (Alberts, Ballard, Connauton, Sauve, Tanev plus anyone coming here in the assumed trade).

Back-up - Lack could possibly do the job. I suspect that if the Canucks do trade a goalie they will get a guy back who could serve as this year's back-up. Otherwise, I might look at Ellis.

regards,

G.

Players that would come for relatively cheap and Canucks should sign them:

Peter Mueller- 1million, 1.5 max.

Wojtek Wolski- 1.5 million, 1.75 max.

Jason Arnott- 1.525 million, 1.95 max.

Gilbert Brule- 1.25 million, 1.5 max.

Kurtis Foster- 1.25 million, 1.5 max.

Trade Luongo and Raymond to FLA for Goc, Howden, Ellerby, Theodore, 1st Round (2013)

Then sign Ellerby for 925k over 3 years.

I think we would have a decent chance at Doan, if not then maybe Mueller. I certainly wouldn't mind Jason Arnott taking the 3rd line center role, he might be able to take on the second line while Kesler's gone, but either or Schroeder, Lappy, or Ebbett could probably do it too. But I really like Arnott on the 3rd line. He's got grit, is sound defensively, and has two Cups. I'm still mad we didn't get in on McClement though

LOL - your making fun of him for that - I agree with you but your post is just as stupid your putting 2 of our best checking forwards on line 4? LOL they are always our most consistent in the reg season and play-offs and you demote them to the 4th line to get 5 minutes a game .. give your head a shake.

and then you decide to put a couple of defensive liabilities on line 3 which is suppose to be a checking line?

he might have not thought before posting what he did but you definitely took your time in being stupid.

you put hansen n higgins on the fourth.. wow.

I would like a depth defenceman to replace Tanev, someone with experience and who is big and physically strong.

Pavel Kubina for 3.5 million, leaving us 2.5 million to sign a cheap rental center until Kesler gets better

On the flipside we could dish out 3.5 million to a guy like Mueller and sign a cheap depth defenceman like Vandemeer or Colaiacovo at 2 million. Either way, we still have 2 needs to be filled - depth defencemen and depth at center.

Kurtis Foster would be a nice one to pick up for sure.

Peter Mueller although I would like to a bigger hitter here for center.

I love Brule and think he has shown signs of improvement but I dont know where we would slot him.

What happened to Wolski,he used to be awesome!

Archived