Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Proposal]Ballard Cap Dump -St Louis.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

To STL
Ballard
5th

To Van:
3rd

I like Keith Ballard as a person but the team can not be paying 4.2M for a 3rd pairing D man who will likely see less than 18 minutes a game. I read around on boards, forums, blogs, etc. and one of the main things I see a lot of St. Louis fans saying is that they need a left sided partner for Pietrangelo. I believe that Ballard could be that player in a new city.

He would get the opportunity to play with a budding NHL star on a defensively sound team that has a hard time finding offense, if Ballard can find his game again like he had in Florida this could actually turn out to be a steal for ST as he was sought after being known as an excellent puck-moving D man with a killer hip check (anyone who has watched STL games know he would fit right in with that gritty no room on the ice style of play)

This is obviously a plan B move for St louis if they miss out (very likely) on Carle, Suter, etc. They have the cap space for Ballard and would still have room to re-sign Perron and Oshie. Vancouver opens up some cap space and can work on signing some 5-7th D men at reasonable cap hit while moving up in the draft.

BUT those are just my thoughts.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#2 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

Ballard is worth more than that...

zackass.png

#3 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Ballard is worth more than that...

I agree, but i think Gillis would be hard pressed to make any other GM's see that.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#4 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

I agree, but i think Gillis would be hard pressed to make any other GM's see that.

How? There are teams interested in a puck mover like him, at that price alot of teams would jump all over it.

We could probably get a 2nd, but I would rather have another roster player.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 02 July 2012 - 08:49 PM.

zackass.png

#5 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

I'm all for trading Ballard as a cap dump, but even I think we don't do well here.
I'd trade him straight up for a low 3rd rounder, but with a 5th for a high 3rd isn't enough.
Posted Image

#6 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

I would love to get Sobotka or Berglund out of St louis for a 3rd line center, but obviously more than Ballard would have to go the other way.
-Edgar Allen Poe

#7 Jordan Subban

Jordan Subban

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Ballard +Raymond+ Schreoder for Berglund and a 2nd round pick?
Posted ImageCredit to _-_ -_

#8 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

I would love to get Sobotka or Berglund out of St louis for a 3rd line center, but obviously more than Ballard would have to go the other way.

I dont know, Ballard for Sobotka would probably be fair, they might do it especially since they have Tarasenko and Schwartz who are likely to crack there roster next year.

They might want one more thing for Berglund though, but who knows I think there are some teams who have interest in Ballard so maybe the would do it.

zackass.png

#9 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

I dont know, Ballard for Sobotka would probably be fair, they might do it especially since they have Tarasenko and Schwartz who are likely to crack there roster next year.

They might want one more thing for Berglund though, but who knows I think there are some teams who have interest in Ballard so maybe the would do it.

I like you, you think analytically and don't bash ever proposal you read, +1 to you good sir.
-Edgar Allen Poe

#10 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

I like you, you think analytically and don't bash ever proposal you read, +1 to you good sir.

Thank you :)

I appreciate that. ::D

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 02 July 2012 - 09:07 PM.

zackass.png

#11 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

Ballard +Raymond+ Schreoder for Berglund and a 2nd round pick?

I know there is the whole CDC cliche of Ballard, Raymond+ for _____

But a puck moving D and a left winger (something they lack) are exactly what St. louis needs.
-Edgar Allen Poe

#12 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

I believe we could pry a 2nd rounder from then considering how well they finished last year.

I really like the proposal though. Next year is going to be a very deep draft - comparable to the 08' draft and the 10' draft. But we also get some cap space to sign Carle maybe? - I can only dream...

Posted Image

#13 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

That would be a good deal.
Not 100% sold on Sobotka being a legit 3rd liner, but he could certainly handle the burden while Kesler is out, and would be a great 4th liner once he is back.

Edited by Jagermeister, 02 July 2012 - 10:21 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Not 100% sold on Sobotka being a legit 3rd liner, but he could certainly handle the burden while Kesler is out, and would be a great 4th liner once he is back.

Yeah I dont know a ton about him but he does seem like a versitle player, maybe he could be a good fit, and a good trade, addresses needs for both teams.

zackass.png

#15 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

If Sobotka can't handle 3rd line duties I believe Lapierre is every bit capable leaving Sobotka to man the 4th line. I personally believe this year will be a coming out for Lapierre and he will be a fix for the 3rd early in the season.
-Edgar Allen Poe

#16 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

I can see St. Louis interested in Ballard. http://www.stltoday....1a4bcf6878.html

But I think you are really selling Ballard short. I know most VAN fans have convinced themselves that Ballard is not worth anything. But he is a quality Dman on the wrong team (unable to give him special teams time or RHD partner) and STL is the one with the need.

Aim high. Crazy high.

STL: Ballard
VAN: Perron or Oshie or Polak

Here's a rumour from before the Ballard to VAN trade - http://blogs.sun-sen...e-from-l-a.html

***Word is the St. Louis Blues are interested in trading for Keith Ballard. I’m hearing center Patrik Berglund would potentially be available in return.

And comments from FLA fans:

How can Tallon even consider trading Ballard… Ballard has been the only defenseman all season that is willing to make contact and make the hits that the opposing team will never forget. He is quick and plays with heart. I can’t say the same thing about Allen

------------------

I agree Ballard is one of the best D, I wouldn’t trade him unless you bring back a Bobby Ryan. You get Ellerby for Patrik Berglund.

^ It's like the polar extreme of opinons about Keith Ballard. LOL.

Point is, there's no reason to give Ballard away. Cap situation is fine. D injuries happen. If space is needed to re-up Edler & Burrows next season, then move him then. $4.2 mil/year will look pretty decent.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#17 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Visnovsky yielded a 2nd rounder, right?

Ballard is worth about a 3rd or 4th straight up if we're just looking for a cap dump. Then with that 4 million, sign Kubina or Carle.

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Kubina/Carle - Alberts
Tanev

That's a cup-winning defence right there with physicality straight through the pairings. Ballard-Tanev is just not built for the playoffs, Kubina-Alberts is.
Posted Image

#18 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

But I think you are really selling Ballard short. I know most VAN fans have convinced themselves that Ballard is not worth anything. But he is a quality Dman on the wrong team (unable to give him special teams time or RHD partner) and STL is the one with the need.

Aim high. Crazy high.

STL: Ballard
VAN: Perron or Oshie or *Berglund*

Point is, there's no reason to give Ballard away. Cap situation is fine. D injuries happen. If space is needed to re-up Edler & Burrows next season, then move him then. $4.2 mil/year will look pretty decent.

This, to the tenth power.

We do not HAVE to move Ballard especially if he'll get us nothing in return, rather keep him as a roster player and incase injuries occur, he can get a bigger role. MG's motto is exactly "Buy low, sell high", so no way he just 'dumps' Ballard. He is a top 3 dman locked up, puck moving, gritty - just is on the wrong team with no to little opportunities given to succeed.

If your gonna trade him, make sure the other GM knows that your not just gonna dump him; he is a top 3 dman and will do better with the other team than what we'll get, a 3rd lol. MG for sure will cement into the other GM what they are getting with Ballard and we better get a good return otherwise we're gonna keep him, simple as that.

"Aim high. Crazy high." - words of a truly intelligent person.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#19 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

Our D would take a hit if we trade Ballard, we need to add a D more than anything.

Carle would not sign. He wants a top 4 role, not a bottom pairing.

Remember it's his choice, he's a FA. Unlike Ballard, who got traded.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#20 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

I know there is the whole CDC cliche of Ballard, Raymond+ for _____

Ballard + Raymond + first*******

#21 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

I would try and do Ballard for one of Berglund, Oshie or Perron. I doubt they move Perron, but he'd be great with Kesler and Booth. Berglund and Oshie could be available, although we might have to add a bit to pry one of them out. There's been rumours that they'd like to move Oshie ever since the incident where he was suspended by the organization. Berglund would be great as a 3rd line centre here and would provide great depth. And he's Swedish!

Ballard + 2nd for Oshie or Berglund? Not sure this gets it done, but if St. Louis is truly desperate for D they might do it. They do have a need to free up spots for Schwartz and Tarasenko. We'd definitely need to add another dman or two in this case from a Luongo deal since it's pretty slim pickings in FA. Gunnarsson or Kulikov would be great.

To STL:
Ballard
2nd round pick

To VAN:
Oshie

To FLA:
Luongo

To VAN:
Kulikov
Theodore
2nd Round Pick

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Oshie
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Raymond-Malhora-Pinizotto

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Kulikov-Tanev

Schneider
Theodore

Pretty solid lineup.

Edited by Mack Attack, 03 July 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#22 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Visnovsky yielded a 2nd rounder, right?

Ballard is worth about a 3rd or 4th straight up if we're just looking for a cap dump. Then with that 4 million, sign Kubina or Carle.

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Kubina/Carle - Alberts
Tanev

That's a cup-winning defence right there with physicality straight through the pairings. Ballard-Tanev is just not built for the playoffs, Kubina-Alberts is.

Most offensive comment ever. Andrew Alberts could not even carry Keith Ballards jock strap. Alberts skates like dog crap gets out worked on the boards and is a fringe Nhler at best. I know Ballard has his faults, but to say Ballard Tanev would not be better then Alberts Kubina is downright retarded. A cinder block with a dildo strapped to it, is better then Alberts. Then your even more disillusion to think Carle will sign for 4 million? then you want to give Kubina the same money Ballard would make. Kubina is not a large upgrade over Ballard, hell he isnt an upgrade. I want Zach Parise for 5.5 million over 5 years and I want a puppy and a new bike, but it aint gonna happen.

Edited by LanghorneslimRules, 03 July 2012 - 03:51 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.