The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Ballard Cap Dump -St Louis.

To STL

Ballard

5th

To Van:

3rd

I like Keith Ballard as a person but the team can not be paying 4.2M for a 3rd pairing D man who will likely see less than 18 minutes a game. I read around on boards, forums, blogs, etc. and one of the main things I see a lot of St. Louis fans saying is that they need a left sided partner for Pietrangelo. I believe that Ballard could be that player in a new city.

He would get the opportunity to play with a budding NHL star on a defensively sound team that has a hard time finding offense, if Ballard can find his game again like he had in Florida this could actually turn out to be a steal for ST as he was sought after being known as an excellent puck-moving D man with a killer hip check (anyone who has watched STL games know he would fit right in with that gritty no room on the ice style of play)

This is obviously a plan B move for St louis if they miss out (very likely) on Carle, Suter, etc. They have the cap space for Ballard and would still have room to re-sign Perron and Oshie. Vancouver opens up some cap space and can work on signing some 5-7th D men at reasonable cap hit while moving up in the draft.

BUT those are just my thoughts.

I dont know, Ballard for Sobotka would probably be fair, they might do it especially since they have Tarasenko and Schwartz who are likely to crack there roster next year.

They might want one more thing for Berglund though, but who knows I think there are some teams who have interest in Ballard so maybe the would do it.

I believe we could pry a 2nd rounder from then considering how well they finished last year.

I really like the proposal though. Next year is going to be a very deep draft - comparable to the 08' draft and the 10' draft. But we also get some cap space to sign Carle maybe? - I can only dream...

I can see St. Louis interested in Ballard. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/morning-skate/if-free-agency-fails-blues-may-have-to-swap-offense/article_cdcbb938-c44a-11e1-b4e6-001a4bcf6878.html

But I think you are really selling Ballard short. I know most VAN fans have convinced themselves that Ballard is not worth anything. But he is a quality Dman on the wrong team (unable to give him special teams time or RHD partner) and STL is the one with the need.

Aim high. Crazy high.

STL: Ballard

VAN: Perron or Oshie or Polak

Here's a rumour from before the Ballard to VAN trade - http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/2010/06/florida-panthers-more-from-l-a.html

***Word is the St. Louis Blues are interested in trading for Keith Ballard. I’m hearing center Patrik Berglund would potentially be available in return.

Visnovsky yielded a 2nd rounder, right?

Ballard is worth about a 3rd or 4th straight up if we're just looking for a cap dump. Then with that 4 million, sign Kubina or Carle.

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Kubina/Carle - Alberts

Tanev

That's a cup-winning defence right there with physicality straight through the pairings. Ballard-Tanev is just not built for the playoffs, Kubina-Alberts is.

But I think you are really selling Ballard short. I know most VAN fans have convinced themselves that Ballard is not worth anything. But he is a quality Dman on the wrong team (unable to give him special teams time or RHD partner) and STL is the one with the need.

Aim high. Crazy high.

STL: Ballard

VAN: Perron or Oshie or *Berglund*

Point is, there's no reason to give Ballard away. Cap situation is fine. D injuries happen. If space is needed to re-up Edler & Burrows next season, then move him then. $4.2 mil/year will look pretty decent.

Archived