The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongos contract doesn't look so bad anymore...

gdcanucks02

With all the money being thrown at players these days, I dont see what the big deal is about Luongo's contract. These big money, long term deals are given on the belief that these players are elite and are a good piece to have if you want to win a couple cups over the next decade. (see crosby, kovalchuk, ovechkin, staal quick, parise, suter, rinne, and the always humourous dipietro).

Luongos annual cap hit is 5.3 million dollars, barely above dennis widemans. I know everyone is dying to win a cup and are very critical with every year that passes, but its coming. Last years run was awesome and unfortunately ended badly, but it should have instilled in this fan base that we had a team that was capable of winning not one, but at least 2 over the course of the next couple years.

Luongo is a very, very good goalie and I am so disgusted with how some people have treated him. If last year was an off year (.919 S% and 2.41 GA, 5 SO) then It blows my mind that people can doubt his ability. Yes he has had some bad games in the playoffs, but he has also had some pretty phenomonal games (2 SO in stanley cup final). The team did not play very well in the final and yet all the blame goes to 1 man. Since coming to Vancouver, he has 32 PLAYOFF WINS!!!!!!

Luongo basically getting pushed out by the media and the fans further shows that the goalie graveyard in Vancouver is in full effect. we had a chance to win a cup with Luongo and are essentially starting over with a rookie goalie who has yet to prove he can carry a team. Im not knocking his ability because i do believe he is an excellent goalie, but it is still somewhat of a gamble.

Fans need to ask themselves if they are willing to wait with schneider because i can guarantee, if we dont win in the next 3 years, we will be back in the exact same position as we are in right now, with Lack outperforming our starter under no pressure and we will have another unproven rookie goalie.

the bottom line is, im not the craziest about the length of these contracts, but at 5.3 million we should be so lucky to have one of the best goalies in the league.

Please leave open and discuss, I dont want this getting barried under a massive thread.

He has the 9th highest caphit.

Not bad for a top 10 goalie.

Sure he has a long contract but in the end his caphit will always be $5.333 but teams will have to pay him less as he ages, good for a team that needs to reach the cap floor but want to pay little.

With the ways things are going, most goalies will be making +$7-8M in 5 years by that time Luongo's contract will look like a steal.

Brodeur just signed a $4.5M contract... 4 years ago a goalie like him would have gotten half that at the age of 40.

With the ways things are going, most goalies will be making +$7-8M in 5 years by that time Luongo's contract will look like a steal.

Brodeur just signed a $4.5M contract... 4 years ago a goalie like him would have gotten half that at the age of 40.

Thank you for this thread. I enjoyed reading it.

I believe Luongo is the best goalie we have ever had. His dedication to our city and his stellar play have improved our franchise in ways we may not even realize yet.

I am perfectly happy keeping him. I think 9.3 cap hit is steep but not insurmountable. If we tweak our lineup to find a savings or two, then we are fine from the perspective of the cap hit.

I think both Lui and Schneids will be ok playing 41 games each but not beyond this year. I think Lui will be traded within the year. It is possible Cory could be traded but it would have to be a pretty darn good offer.

I wish we could keep them both.

For a team like Toronto who really has no future in the goaltending post, I don't see why they wouldn't want a franchise goaltender..

If not for Schneider, we would of had Lu for the next 6 years as a starter and that wouldn't have been a bad thing at all.

They aren't going to just luck out and get another goaltender that can give them a chance to win the cup for the next long while, they'd have to be stupid not to see the opportunity in a trade like this. Florida on the other hand (Having Markstrom) I'm not so sure.

EDIT: The only viable option left to them, is to-- A.) Pursue Bernier or B.) Pursue Luongo, the later sounding like the more beneficial route. ^_^ As Luongo is a proven starter, where as Bernier is a rookie tender.

Let's face it, Lu is an excellent goalie, and the 5.3 cap hit gets proportionally smaller and smaller each year compared to other goalie contracts. Soon it won't be unusual to have 8-9 mil wrapped up in a goalie tandem.

If I were MG, I'd be slow to trade either of a Jennings winning pair, just have Schnieds play more.

Archived