The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongos contract doesn't look so bad anymore...

gdcanucks02

That's why these long term contracts keep getting signed. yeah, it looks crazy at first. But EVERY year the contract gets better as salaries sky rocket.

And, it's important to look at the free agent market and ask yourself: "If we offload this player and contract, what is it going to cost to get that position filled?"

If you had to sign Luongo on the free agent market today, what do you think he'd make?

Bank, baby, bank.

Anyway, I've always said his contract is not a bad one. Franchise goalies, or franchise players at any position, cost big money.

Every one of these threads seems exactly like the last one because no one ever says anything new. The people who don't like Luo continue to not. They'll continue to say he chokes in big games, and then find ways to explain away SCF shutouts and a gold medal on the world's biggest stage. The people who do like Luo will continue to point to everything he's accomplished and the amazing amount of stress (so much of it unnecessary, thanks fans!) that he's been put under and use that as an excuse for the times when he hasn't played well. No one's opinion ever changes. We're all just p*ssing into the wind as they say.

And the worst part is, as others have hinted at, we will never get off this merry-go-round ride. If Luo stays, it continues with him as the poster boy for the divide among fans. If he goes, we just change the paint and rename the ride but the same arguments will continue to go round and round because Schneider is good but he's not perfect. We've already seen him have a bad game (Calgary, anyone?) and be outplayed (but come on, Quick was awesome!)

The problem isn't the goalies, it's the fans. We think we have the right to expect perfection, even though it's not even possible. We think we have the right to demand our goalie is the best in the league at any given time, during any given game and that's just not going to happen. We're spoiled brats complaining every time we think another kid has a better plaything and never appreciate what we have. Sadly, that will never change and that is why fans here will never be happy with any team or any goalie. Even a SC will only silence the constant whine for a few weeks (if that long!) Some will complain the team could have won it "better," comparing our run to teams like LA, and others will go home from the parade and start posting about how they know we can't repeat the very next year because our team sucks.

The truth is, it doesn't matter what they do because the players will always fail to be more than human and the oh-so-human fans will continue to vilify them for that "sin."

With all the money being thrown at players these days, I dont see what the big deal is about Luongo's contract. These big money, long term deals are given on the belief that these players are elite and are a good piece to have if you want to win a couple cups over the next decade. (see crosby, kovalchuk, ovechkin, staal quick, parise, suter, rinne, and the always humourous dipietro).

Luongos annual cap hit is 5.3 million dollars, barely above dennis widemans. I know everyone is dying to win a cup and are very critical with every year that passes, but its coming. Last years run was awesome and unfortunately ended badly, but it should have instilled in this fan base that we had a team that was capable of winning not one, but at least 2 over the course of the next couple years.

Luongo is a very, very good goalie and I am so disgusted with how some people have treated him. If last year was an off year (.919 S% and 2.41 GA, 5 SO) then It blows my mind that people can doubt his ability. Yes he has had some bad games in the playoffs, but he has also had some pretty phenomonal games (2 SO in stanley cup final). The team did not play very well in the final and yet all the blame goes to 1 man. Since coming to Vancouver, he has 32 PLAYOFF WINS!!!!!!

Luongo basically getting pushed out by the media and the fans further shows that the goalie graveyard in Vancouver is in full effect. we had a chance to win a cup with Luongo and are essentially starting over with a rookie goalie who has yet to prove he can carry a team. Im not knocking his ability because i do believe he is an excellent goalie, but it is still somewhat of a gamble.

Fans need to ask themselves if they are willing to wait with schneider because i can guarantee, if we dont win in the next 3 years, we will be back in the exact same position as we are in right now, with Lack outperforming our starter under no pressure and we will have another unproven rookie goalie.

the bottom line is, im not the craziest about the length of these contracts, but at 5.3 million we should be so lucky to have one of the best goalies in the league.

Please leave open and discuss, I dont want this getting barried under a massive thread.

He has the 9th highest caphit.

Not bad for a top 10 goalie.

Sure he has a long contract but in the end his caphit will always be $5.333 but teams will have to pay him less as he ages, good for a team that needs to reach the cap floor but want to pay little.

The length is the issue as well as the fact that contract was designed to get around the cap with Lou not playing the last few years.

He's been paid more than any other goalie in recent years so if you look at what is expected of him I think we can call it 9 years at 6.7 million per which is still near the tops and preceded everyone else. As of this minute he's number 3 in goalies for 2012/13 for salary. Not bad for someone who didn't do so well last year stats wise.

Every one of these threads seems exactly like the last one because no one ever says anything new. The people who don't like Luo continue to not. They'll continue to say he chokes in big games, and then find ways to explain away SCF shutouts and a gold medal on the world's biggest stage. The people who do like Luo will continue to point to everything he's accomplished and the amazing amount of stress (so much of it unnecessary, thanks fans!) that he's been put under and use that as an excuse for the times when he hasn't played well. No one's opinion ever changes. We're all just p*ssing into the wind as they say.

And the worst part is, as others have hinted at, we will never get off this merry-go-round ride. If Luo stays, it continues with him as the poster boy for the divide among fans. If he goes, we just change the paint and rename the ride but the same arguments will continue to go round and round because Schneider is good but he's not perfect. We've already seen him have a bad game (Calgary, anyone?) and be outplayed (but come on, Quick was awesome!)

The problem isn't the goalies, it's the fans. We think we have the right to expect perfection, even though it's not even possible. We think we have the right to demand our goalie is the best in the league at any given time, during any given game and that's just not going to happen. We're spoiled brats complaining every time we think another kid has a better plaything and never appreciate what we have. Sadly, that will never change and that is why fans here will never be happy with any team or any goalie. Even a SC will only silence the constant whine for a few weeks (if that long!) Some will complain the team could have won it "better," comparing our run to teams like LA, and others will go home from the parade and start posting about how they know we can't repeat the very next year because our team sucks.

The truth is, it no matter what they do the players will always fail to be more than human and the oh-so-human fans will continue to vilify them for that "sin."

I agree that Luongo's contract is a bargain but Schneider has moved up the ladder and now appears ready to carry the load. The big thing is that this team needs some changes to the forwards and trading Luongo can get those players or at least one more solid forward who can score clutch goals. We aren't going to win unless we can get the type of gritty forward who can score in tight checking games.

It is Luongo who said that he would waive his NTC, then said that he wanted to be traded and then later said he was only willing to go to Florida. MG has treated Luongo fairly, paid him well and has heaped praise upon him. AV has been patient with him and kept him in net on some nights when he should have been pulled. What more could a player ask for?

Change is inevitable because there is someone always ready to challenge you. We should be happy that Schneider has excelled in his development and is ready to be #1 instead of worrying about Luongo. He knows that it is Schneiders time...that's why he said he would waive his NTC. If he gets traded to Florida, he is closer to his family and still on a contending team. What's so tough about that? I am sure that it will take a lot of pressure of him not having to field the 'When are you coming home' calls.

I am happy to see Schneider ready to step in and happy to see Luongo have a chance to go home. He has played well here and has led the team out of the NHL basement.

I don't see why people see the change in goal as a bad thing....is the glass half full or half empty?

Getting back on topic. Compared to Price in Montreal, 6 years at 6.5m/yr ... Luongo is an awesome deal! Assuming Luongo retires in 6 years, which the contract is designed to reflect.

As I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong, if Luongo retires, then cap hit is off the team for the remaining years, is that right? I suppose there is no gurarantee that Luongo will retire in 6 but once the salary hits $3.3 in year 7 (2018-19) or $1.6m in year 8 (2019-20), I'm sure he will be playing in poker tournaments instead of stopping pucks.

It isn't about negativity towards Lou from my POV. Van had to make a choice and they went with Schneider because of his potential and his new contract which is less money and shorter term. I like the move because SChneider's game IMO his fundamentally stronger than Lou's. Might be wrong but time will tell.

Suggesting Van owes Lou more is stretching it a bit. He got a league leading contract in its time. This is a business and I am happy that Van is not prepared to maintain status quo but are actively looking for ways to get the CUP. A Lou trade will hopefully bring back that piece that takes Van over the top.

I've never blamed Lou for losing the cup. I have said he was our only hope of winning it though. The difference being in every loss, where Boston struggled to score, Thomas kept his team in it within striking distance to the bitter end. Lou failed to do that for our beat up guys.

Ok, so Luongo didn't play a playoff game yet when he signed the 27 million deal over 4 years (6.7 million cap hit) but he had accomplished A LOT more than Schneider.

Over 342 NHL games he had 115 wins, 168 losses, 33 ties, 9 OT losses, and 27 shutouts. His record doesn't look amazing but you have to take into consideration that he played for some very average (maybe even below average) Islanders and Panthers teams. He even had a season where he played 72 games and had a sv% of .931 on the Panthers!

I'd say that Luongo was more proven than Schneider when he signed his first deal with Vancouver and definitely deserved the money (not saying Schneider didn't)

Don't hate lu am good with either tender but the lovers gotta stop talking about the gold medal.Lu did not shine then,everyone knows and the sports stations also said Canada won the gold in spite of having lu in net.The rest of the team won that Medal anyone could have been in net.Letting in a so-so goal with 24 seconds left

I have seen lu be a awesome goalie at times but the Olympics was not one of them.

Saying he failed because he didn't get a shutout every game is a little harsh. He is only human. Yes Thomas played very good, but in my opinion our forwards didn't test him enough and barely got any scoring chances, in large part due to Chara and their great defense. Boston picked the Canucks apart and were better in pretty much every aspect of hockey.

I know were beating a dead horse with this argument but the point of it goes beyond Luongo, and really comes down to the unrealistic expectations of the fans in this city.

I don't buy it. The Canucks had several great scoring chances. Thomas played great every game. Lou played great in 3 games. Still, as I said, I'm not blaming Lou for the loss. He could have been better but the crazy number of injuries is what ultimately cost us.

Archived