The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongos contract doesn't look so bad anymore...

gdcanucks02

I honestly believe God or some higher force is punishing us with Luongo.

I believe a cult "the branch Luongians" carry out this punishment in these threads

Anyone that thinks 10 or 1 more years of this chokebag is a good deal is completely under the spell of the branch Luongians.

He is our backup to CS and should be paid 900k tops.

I would trade him for Scott Gomez or Wade Redden if it ment I would never have to see his starfish belly flop ever ever again. Or his look to the heavens when he lets in a bank shot from behind the net.

Worst contract by far in Canucks history.

his old contract one of the best, back then he did change the franchise

I can almost feel this spell is nearly broken, but I doubt it

we are not that lucky.

Saying he failed because he didn't get a shutout every game is a little harsh. He is only human. Yes Thomas played very good, but in my opinion our forwards didn't test him enough and barely got any scoring chances, in large part due to Chara and their great defense. Boston picked the Canucks apart and were better in pretty much every aspect of hockey.

I know were beating a dead horse with this argument but the point of it goes beyond Luongo, and really comes down to the unrealistic expectations of the fans in this city.

MG is doing it right. If rumors are true that he is asking for a high price in return, that is the way to go. if he can't significantly upgrade the team by trading one of his goalies, then why force a trade? Both lui and Cory get along well. See bos a few yrs back, rusk carried the team 3 yrs ago when Thomas had injury issues then Thomas won the cup the yr after, being a much older goalie. Now he doesn't want to play, and bos still got rusk.

Bobby only sucks relative to the goofy twelve year megabuck contract that Mike Gillis bestowed upon him. Bobby's agent got over huge on Gillis in that negotiation, rarely has an NHL GM been clowned like that in a contract negotiation in the cap era; the captaincy was the icing on the cake.

Bobby is a likeable enough guy, sure he has a big ego and a fragile psyche but he performs well enough in low pressure situations, it's the stress of high pressure situations like playoff tournaments that historically have given him the yips, but again, this is not something Bobby can change, it's just the way he is.. It was Gillis' job to do his homework and push back from the negotiations when things got goofy. It's ultimately Gillis who set this guy up to fail.

Gillis=fail.

I didn't say he failed because he didn't get us a shutout in every game. I said he failed to keep us in games. Something Thomas did in every one of his losses to us. Thomas at least gave his team a chance. We didn't lose the finals because of Luongo. We lost because of injuries.

Soooo, 5.3mil for a 12 year contract and you get an elite goalie. 7.5 mil for Parise and Suter for the next 13 years.....Hmmmmmm. With the cap at 70 mil, honestly Lu's contract is looking pretty darn good, no?

Especially with Suter...I wonder how he will play without Weber by his side...

You point out he lost all 3 games in the round robin tournament.So winning 4 playoff rounds in the QMJHL doesn't count as showing up when it counts? Especially on a team that wasn't expected to win. Selectively not including his first playoff year in the pro's to make his numbers look worse than they are. Not mentioning his 2 shut-outs in the finals (low pressure games... sure buddy)?!?!?!?! I get what your saying about letting in some momentum killer goals at times, however he is not the reason we lost every year. Contributor yes, but not all his fault by any means and it is ridiculous to say so. (8 goals for in 7 games says hi). Not to mention our defense taking entire periods off and letting guys walk around them with ease.To our last point about taking another chance with him... yes I would be happy to take another chance with him in net over at least almost any other starting NHL goaltender. Perhaps I would take Rinne, Lundquist or Quick over him (currently) but I don't see any other goalie that I would much feel any more comfortable with than Luu. There are goalies I would feel close to equal about, but thats it.

Looks like a meeting of the Branch Luongians

Looks like He has always been a awesome goalie when in low pressure, but when the heat gets turned up, a big game loser.

Some wiki highlights

Jr days

Luongo went on to win 14 of 17 playoff appearances in the QMJHL playoffs to lead Val-d'Or to aPresident's Cup championship and a Memorial Cup appearance. The Foreurs failed to win a game in the 1998 Memorial Cup tournament, however, and finished in last place.

He went on to lead the Titan to his second consecutive President's Cup championship with a 2.74 GAA in 23 games. He finished his QMJHL playoff career with the all-time league record in games played (56), minutes played (3,264:22), wins (38) and shots faced (1,808).[4] His and Memorial Cup appearance in 1999. The Titan finished in last place, failing to win a game during the tournament.

World Jr,

I remember him being awesome in 1999, still a silver isn't 1st place is it?

Luongo made his international debut at the 1995 World U-17 Hockey Challenge in Moncton, New Brunswick, with Team Québec, winning bronze.[39] Three years later, he was named to the Canadian national junior team for the 1998 World Junior Championshipsin Finland. He played backup to Victoriaville Tigres goaltender Mathieu Garon,[144] going winless in three appearances with a 3.70 GAA, as Canada finished in eighth place. Luongo became the starting goaltender the following year at the 1999 World Junior Championships in Winnipeg, Manitoba, appearing in seven of Canada's eight games.[145] He recorded a shutout in the first game of the tournament against the Czech Republic, making 36 saves in a 0–0 tie.[146] He went on to help Team Canada to the gold medal game against Russia, but lost in overtime, surrendering a goal to Artem Chubarov.[147] With a 1.92 GAA and two shutouts, Luongo was given Best Goaltender and All-Star Team honours.[148]

Playoffs in Pro

2006-2007                            CANUCKS                            12                            5                            7                            -                            0                            0                            25                            427                            .941                            1.77                            847                                            2008-2009                            CANUCKS                            10                            6                            4                            -                            0                            1                            26                            304                            .914                            2.52                            618                                            2009-2010                            CANUCKS                            12                            6                            6                            -                            0                            0                            38                            362                            .895                            3.22                            707                                            2010-2011                            CANUCKS                            25                            15                            10                            -                            0                            4                            61                            711                            .914                            2.56                            1,427                                            2011-2012                            CANUCKS                            2                            0                            2                            -                            0                            0                            7                            64                            .891                            3.59                            117                                                                         NHL TOTALS                            61                            32                            29                            0                            0                            5                            157                            1,868                            .916                            2.53                            3,717            

Outstanding the first year of the playoffs, he did carry that team with low expectations

That was also 5 years ago, lets subtract that year and see what we get

08-12 Save % = 903.5 (Avg) GAA = 2.97

Career Reg Season

919% and 2.52

You think we should gamble the chance we have with this stacked team for a 5th year in a row? or do you think its time to walk away from the table.

If he stayed on FLA and never played a playoff game in his life he would have more value today.

The contract isn't the worst part of Luongo's value its his performance the last 4 playoffs.

And don't bring up the world cup and gold medals, pretty small body of his work.

the gold medal didn't silence his critics for a reason.

Every one of these threads seems exactly like the last one because no one ever says anything new. The people who don't like Luo continue to not. They'll continue to say he chokes in big games, and then find ways to explain away SCF shutouts and a gold medal on the world's biggest stage. The people who do like Luo will continue to point to everything he's accomplished and the amazing amount of stress (so much of it unnecessary, thanks fans!) that he's been put under and use that as an excuse for the times when he hasn't played well. No one's opinion ever changes. We're all just p*ssing into the wind as they say.

And the worst part is, as others have hinted at, we will never get off this merry-go-round ride. If Luo stays, it continues with him as the poster boy for the divide among fans. If he goes, we just change the paint and rename the ride but the same arguments will continue to go round and round because Schneider is good but he's not perfect. We've already seen him have a bad game (Calgary, anyone?) and be outplayed (but come on, Quick was awesome!)

The problem isn't the goalies, it's the fans. We think we have the right to expect perfection, even though it's not even possible. We think we have the right to demand our goalie is the best in the league at any given time, during any given game and that's just not going to happen. We're spoiled brats complaining every time we think another kid has a better plaything and never appreciate what we have. Sadly, that will never change and that is why fans here will never be happy with any team or any goalie. Even a SC will only silence the constant whine for a few weeks (if that long!) Some will complain the team could have won it "better," comparing our run to teams like LA, and others will go home from the parade and start posting about how they know we can't repeat the very next year because our team sucks.

The truth is, it doesn't matter what they do because the players will always fail to be more than human and the oh-so-human fans will continue to vilify them for that "sin."

The Canucks lost against Boston because they couldn't score goals.

The Canucks lost against LA because they couldn't score goals.

Yeah, a good goalie can win you games if you can score goals.

You can have the best goalie in the world and lose if you can't score any damn goals. It is NOT (always) Luo's fault.

Archived