The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Raymond Re Define Himself?

Angry Goose

He has the skill to score but not a hard enough shot to score from the perimeter.....he has to start going to the net. He is not strong enough or big enough to be effective battling along the boards and usually goes down.

I don't see him as a top 6 forward and might be okay on the 3rd line using his speed to chase down pucks and put pressure on the opposition defense. If he can't do that, then I would far sooner see Jensen or Kassian getting the ice time to develop their game.

I agree that Raymond will be back next year, and that it will be a make or break year. I just had to ask though. Where did you learn your sayings?

"His ass is gas"???? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be "his ass is grass". (And I'm the lawnmower).

"Can't teach and old Goose New Tricks"???? Definitely supposed to be a dog. (I see your username - play on words?)

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but it just seemed strange.

Mixed feeling on this. I don't mind giving him another crack at it. He has a lot of upside, he has proven that. I don't see him coming back next year ('13-14 season) anyway for some reason. If he gets his game back close to where it was, I think we'll trade him at the deadline. Now he's close to worthless in the trade market.

I dunno, the real question is, can he put on 20 lbs. The can't cut into the middle of the ice, that's why a guy with so much speed plays on the perimeter. If that doesn't change than my answer is a pretty obvious no.

I agree that Raymond will be back next year, and that it will be a make or break year. I just had to ask though. Where did you learn your sayings?

"His ass is gas"???? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be "his ass is grass". (And I'm the lawnmower).

"Can't teach and old Goose New Tricks"???? Definitely supposed to be a dog. (I see your username - play on words?)

Still one of the better playoff performers this year. Yes he got owned by Kopitar, but so what, atleast he did it only once and in the 1 game that we actually won. Almost EVERYBODY ELSE did the exact same thing over and over and it cost us the other 4 games. Raymond could have easily had a couple goals and assists if it wasn't for Quick being sharp and the lack of finish on this team, he set up Higgins, Booth and Burr a few times with great chances and they missed the damn net.

When Raymonds screws up, it's infront of the other teams net, much preferable than infront of our own........ he's a solid penalty killer, fast skater and good checker. Deserves another year without injury issues.

That wrap around that he gaffed, he rushed and didn't quite get it, but where was his backup?? no one was waiting in the crease for a rebound. Everyone just stood around and watched like they had all series, OT shouldn't have even gotten that far as Willie missed a wide open net which should have burried us.

Raymond has known that he needs to get stronger and improve his balance since the 10-11 season. Unfortunately, he had no offseason with which to work because Boychuck cheapshotted him and he broke his back.

Garrison takes the off-season very seriously, which is one of the reasons he is such a good fit for our team. Since they are friends, Jason and Mason will be working hard to be in top form this training camp. Garrison is pretty big. Raymond will be following his lead in the weight room.

I think we're going to see an extremely motivated player in Mason Raymond right from pre-season. I can't wait until he shows everyone what type of player he has turned himself into.

He was coming off a broken back last year.. there is a chance with a full offseason of training and reflection on his play that he will turn it around this year. He has some huge physical and mental hurdles to overcome though.... I'm still glad he's being given the chance.

i have never been an avid supporter of Raymond, anyone who's read my many posts knows this. But the best thing Gillis could've done for this guy was not resign him, not even arbitration. He will continue to take heat in this town and will continue to receive undeserved ice-time as a top 6 forward. Even if he were to reinvent himself as a bottom 6 checking type player, we have other players in the system I'd much rather give a spot to.

I really do wish him all the best because he is truly a good person, but as a fan I just can't stand to watch him play anymore. He needs to grow on a team where he'll have to earn his ice time, after his one "breakout" season it's like he no longer thought he needed to improve in certain areas and stopped doing what made him successful in the first place. And hey, the coach kept playing him in a top line role so if it ain't broke don't fix it right?

Anyway, I wish Raymond the best of luck, just somewhere else.

If he can develop his passing skills and become a playmaker I think he could be successful on the second line. His puck handling is actually very good, it's just his lack of size and propensity for falling down that detract from his game. If he can put on some size this offseason (5-10 pounds should be reasonable) I could see him succeeding.

Columbus%252BBlue%252BJackets%252Bv%252BVancouver%252BCanucks%252BUCPdTGCncI2l.jpg

Part of me hopes Raymond makes a serious effort on working on his passing game. Chances are he is going to be in a Canucks uniform next year, and after a very tough season he knows he needs to contribute or his ass is gas. As a play maker he could be a much better all around player. Doesn't have to be Sedin-esque fancy but just a solid passer- always looking to distribute the puck.

He defines himself as points type player, so I see a real chance here for him to develop this part of his game. He could really have a turn around season if this part of his game improved significantly next season. And we all know the 2nd line needs that type of player.

They say you can't teach an old goose new tricks. But Raymond is not an old goose, and he in a lot of ways he is still a young developing goose. I think he has tried the "north south" route and we all know how that ends up- with him on his butt. Ideally I would like to see Raymond develop into a versatile type player, passer/scorer/defender. He doesn't need to be phenomenal in any category, just solid in all. Sort of like Higgins but with less grit and more top end skill.

Here's hoping anyways. Could be the feel good story of the year next year.

Yeah but Booth was way more of a factor in that series than Raymond, Booth was a physical presence in the series and was actually decent, Idk what your talking about.

Raymond wasn't a factor at all, infact I think he was more of a negative factor, he hurt us more than he helped us imo.

Yeah but Booth was way more of a factor in that series than Raymond, Booth was a physical presence in the series and was actually decent, Idk what your talking about.

Raymond wasn't a factor at all, infact I think he was more of a negative factor, he hurt us more than he helped us imo.

Archived