The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Raymond Re Define Himself?

Angry Goose

He's going to have to

The Canucks have shown him a lot of loyalty by continuing to give him so many opportunities to stay in the lineup and to stay here in Van.

I don't buy into the idea that his play has dropped off because of the injury. He was always a perimeter player and he had one good year where he benefitted from having good linemates, but he himself has always been an average player. The injury is almost a blessing in disguise for him because it earned him some extra leeway with management. Any other player would have been gone or at least been repeatedly healthy scratched by now.

He needs to reward the team for their loyalty by working harder and not looking for everyone else to tee him up for easy tap in goals. He needs to create chances for himself and his linemates too.

Atleast Booth had a hit, Raymond tried to make a hit on Kopitar and look ho well that turned out. Both had one assist, but Raymond was a -3 and Booth was only -1.

I know your a Raymond lover but face the fact that he sucks, he may have gotten more shots then Booth but that's the only thing he did better, and all of Raymond shot's were probably either Quick's chest, hit him somewhere else or else they missed the net. just like they have been all year.

Booth > Raymond.

Raymond would be great as a 13th forward. In our lineup with all the players we have, he will need to have a great training camp to make it back in the lineup without being given a handout.

The problem is, a 13th forward shouldn't be getting paid $3+ million per year to sit in the press box. I don't really see where he fits in the lineup. Any line he is on seems to fall to pieces. He isn't physical enough to play in the bottom 6 without detracting from the overall line dynamic and he isn't skilled enough to play in the top-6. Anywhere we put him we have better options.

I say sign him, trade him, and good riddance. Problem is, I don't think anyone wants him bad enough to trade for him.

It was everyone else that missed the net...... Raymond was the only one testing Quick, and from quality shooting areas, something he was criticized for not doing in the season. He set up rebounds and big chances shift after shift yet no one could bury. He played hard, more than you can say for the majority of the team who lacked effort and production.

Schnieds, Hansen, Hank, Raymond, Booth were our best players, in that order probably. Honorable mention to Dank and Weise, they played well in the little time they had.

Raymond is all about speed. It is what has given him his offence. I always thought his real potential was as a 3rd liner with PK time. Again his speed gets him to his check and he is great at stripping pucks. Raymond has dropped down the depth chart as Higgins has established himself in Van. The LW on the 2nd line is still open with Kesler at C and Booth on RW. That said I do not consider either Raymond or Higgins 2nd line wingers. Higgins is the better of the two.

I think the Canuck org screwed up this kid's development and he will be gone in a trade. I am assuming a Lou deal brings back a bona fide 2nd line LW. Raymond still has trade value.

Raymond was shooting the puck at Quick, he wasn't testing him.

He was bad, his speed created chances for him but he had no finish whatsoever, and the only reason he is marginally valuable is because of his speed, he's okay defensively but I think people give him too much credit for that, he had some good shifts in the playoffs but he really didnt do anything with those chances was really a negative factor in the end.

I agree that Raymond will be back next year, and that it will be a make or break year. I just had to ask though. Where did you learn your sayings?

"His ass is gas"???? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be "his ass is grass". (And I'm the lawnmower).

"Can't teach and old Goose New Tricks"???? Definitely supposed to be a dog. (I see your username - play on words?)

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but it just seemed strange.

Can't call his chances a negative, negative is the other team's chances. The ones that our entire defence, Kes, Higgy and Manny set up nicely for the Kings. Raymond doesn't have a bullet shot, and yes, he hit Quick when close, but they bounced off and created second and third chances rather than getting absorbed from the perimeter. Everyone who was on the ice with Raymond was gifted with quality chances thanks to his efforts, guys that get payed as much or more and have higher expectations were the ones that failed to finish.

So many players should be on the *****list after LA before Raymonds even argued.

Theres a thread about jason garrison a few posts down, and in there is an article, in the article it says that mason raymond is one of garrisons better friends, garrison seems like the type of player that is always hard working and trying to improve himself, perhaps raymond will grow some pride playing with one of his friends and find a way to not suck anymore.

Either way i hope when raymond gets traded that garrison doesn't get pissed lol

Atleast Booth had a hit, Raymond tried to make a hit on Kopitar and look ho well that turned out. Both had one assist, but Raymond was a -3 and Booth was only -1.

I know your a Raymond lover but face the fact that he sucks, he may have gotten more shots then Booth but that's the only thing he did better, and all of Raymond shot's were probably either Quick's chest, hit him somewhere else or else they missed the net. just like they have been all year.

Booth > Raymond.

Nope...small, weak, playoff choker, speed but no acceleration. Has always gotten by "looking good" but does nothing. It's always his speed will put pressure on the defense! Or, he had a lot of shots on net! Yawn.

He's going to have to

The Canucks have shown him a lot of loyalty by continuing to give him so many opportunities to stay in the lineup and to stay here in Van.

I don't buy into the idea that his play has dropped off because of the injury. He was always a perimeter player and he had one good year where he benefitted from having good linemates, but he himself has always been an average player. The injury is almost a blessing in disguise for him because it earned him some extra leeway with management. Any other player would have been gone or at least been repeatedly healthy scratched by now.

He needs to reward the team for their loyalty by working harder and not looking for everyone else to tee him up for easy tap in goals. He needs to create chances for himself and his linemates too.

Archived