The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Raymond Re Define Himself?

Angry Goose

It was everyone else that missed the net...... Raymond was the only one testing Quick, and from quality shooting areas, something he was criticized for not doing in the season. He set up rebounds and big chances shift after shift yet no one could bury. He played hard, more than you can say for the majority of the team who lacked effort and production.

Schnieds, Hansen, Hank, Raymond, Booth were our best players, in that order probably. Honorable mention to Dank and Weise, they played well in the little time they had.

Everybody loves Raymond... Except Canucks fans. :bigblush: Yeah, I'm bringing that joke back.. lol

But in all seriousness my guess is he needs to be traded, if not? Then he is probably going to be playing on the 3rd/2nd line when he sparks, we could then look at getting a 3rd line center like Jason Arnott instead of trying to acquire a 2nd line winger to play with Kes. :unsure:

Is it just me or does it seem like mayray is always falling down... he is very skilled and has soft hands but as the LA Kings proved you need to have that grit and strength to be sucessful when it counts. I just don't think Raymond has that grit and strength in him so when he is not producing he is practically useless. I think that MG will keep him though because he is really good friends with Garrison.

This team is suppose to be a Cup contender. Raymond has had two seasons to get his game together and hasn't really come close to what we saw in his career high. We can't afford to keep pissing around by keeping him around all season long hoping he finds his performance from two years ago. I think we could find a similar offensive performing player with more to often overall than Raymond; position flexibility, physicality, agitation, penalty killing, and consistency.

I think Raymond has what it takes to be an effective 3rd-line checking/pk guy, his speed gives him a big edge there. It's when the expectations of top-six point production are on him and he's getting the minutes but not getting the points that he looks lost out there and frustrated. Bump him down to the third line with Hansen and Lapierre and you've got a speedy, irritating checking line that can chip in with some offence now and then too.

If Raymond could get rid of his tunnel vision and look for plays to make, he'd become so much more valuable to the team.

Raymond has the same type of tools to work with as Andy McDonald in St.Louis, and he should watch tapes of McDonald and work on doing things like he does. When he races into the zone at high speed, backing defenders in, he will often curl back sharply so he gets into perfect passing position to feed his linemate for a good scoring chance. Raymond races in and stays as close to the boards as he can, then weakly lobs the puck at the goalies crest...

o u mean this one...

it was the last straw for me as well....honestly, i dont think i have ever been so unbelievably agitated with a player on the canucks....i get pissed off just talking about it

Honestly, I've never liked Raymond but there are a few things he can change to get the Canuck's back on the band wagon.

The main thing, is to be able to pass the puck and use his teammates. He did that, when he had his breakout year, but somehow it stopped. Perhaps, he was over confident, maybe Kesler and him both stopped passing because they were betting on who would get more goals? Who knows, but he did expect himself to score more, despite having 25 goals the previous year. Stop being selfish and pass the damn puck.

Of course, then there's his speed that is undeniably useful. Continue being used on the PK, and be smarter defensively.

Do those little things, and he can be a serviceable NHL. Hopefully, on the 3rd/4th lines.

I think that May Ray needs to work on three things and if he can, he could be that 20 goal scorer we once knew.

1. Not falling - duh

2. Improve shot - He shoots fairly often, but unfortunately his shots are often weak and not accurate. If he can get some more power and accuracy into his wrist/snap shot, he will score many more goals.

3. Seeing the Ice - Raymond seems to have lost a lot of his old vision for the ice. He was never an amazing playmaker or anything, but he seems to have lost all understanding of 'creating a play'. He needs to start thinking ahead of "I have the puck. I can shoot it." and more towards "what are all of my options in this situation?"

I think Raymond has what it takes to be an effective 3rd-line checking/pk guy, his speed gives him a big edge there. It's when the expectations of top-six point production are on him and he's getting the minutes but not getting the points that he looks lost out there and frustrated. Bump him down to the third line with Hansen and Lapierre and you've got a speedy, irritating checking line that can chip in with some offence now and then too.

If Raymond could get rid of his tunnel vision and look for plays to make, he'd become so much more valuable to the team.

Raymond has the same type of tools to work with as Andy McDonald in St.Louis, and he should watch tapes of McDonald and work on doing things like he does. When he races into the zone at high speed, backing defenders in, he will often curl back sharply so he gets into perfect passing position to feed his linemate for a good scoring chance. Raymond races in and stays as close to the boards as he can, then weakly lobs the puck at the goalies crest...

Archived