The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Raymond Re Define Himself?

Angry Goose

How is it bullocks? Raymond is clearly underachieving to anyone who has watched him or can look up stats re: for a 'top 6' player, and Jester pointed out a player that has similar traits but is actually successful.

I know there are many whom are frustrated with Raymond. Given the financial climate , his 2mil for what he brings is pretty good with the upside he has.

Sure, he hasnt shown it. Sure he has insisted that he stays on the outside so he wont break a nail. Sure he goes down the wing and shoots it wide or right at the goalies crest.

But when his game is on, hes worth double the 2mil. When his game is on, he cuts to the middle. When he does this he can create chances out of thin air, he creates havoc for even top pairing defenders.

We know he gets lazy and he also broke his back. I think we give him this year to get his act together. The skill is there but the spirit may not be willing. Lets find out. Its worth the look for one year at 2mil.

I know there are many whom are frustrated with Raymond. Given the financial climate , his 2mil for what he brings is pretty good with the upside he has.

Sure, he hasnt shown it. Sure he has insisted that he stays on the outside so he wont break a nail. Sure he goes down the wing and shoots it wide or right at the goalies crest.

But when his game is on, hes worth double the 2mil. When his game is on, he cuts to the middle. When he does this he can create chances out of thin air, he creates havoc for even top pairing defenders.

We know he gets lazy and he also broke his back. I think we give him this year to get his act together. The skill is there but the spirit may not be willing. Lets find out. Its worth the look for one year at 2mil.

I think Raymond has what it takes to be an effective 3rd-line checking/pk guy, his speed gives him a big edge there. It's when the expectations of top-six point production are on him and he's getting the minutes but not getting the points that he looks lost out there and frustrated. Bump him down to the third line with Hansen and Lapierre and you've got a speedy, irritating checking line that can chip in with some offence now and then too.

Anyone notice how in every video in this thread, Raymond never looks happy when he scores? He looks like he's always moping. And the other players come over and they pretty much just congratulate him as a formality. No one seems particularly excited if he scores a goal and why should they if he isn't excited? Doesn't really look like he's a part of the team.

I remember when Booth had a scoring slump last year, then when he scored he was so relieved and the other players were so happy for him. Or when Ebbett came back from his injury and scored, he got absolutely mobbed. And everyone was hoping Manny would be alright and back on the team. Raymond? The guy had a spine injury and you'd expect someone would be happy to see him come back. But he just seems to bring them down. Not sure if its an attitude problem or his confidence has been crushed along with a vertebra but something is up.

Anyone notice how in every video in this thread, Raymond never looks happy when he scores? He looks like he's always moping. And the other players come over and they pretty much just congratulate him as a formality. No one seems particularly excited if he scores a goal and why should they if he isn't excited? Doesn't really look like he's a part of the team.

He would make an excellent Centre Ice man on the 2nd or 3rd line...has all the skills necessary...no good along the boards...too light.... but as a playmaking centre iceman he could be very good. The club actually tried him out in this position for a couple of games a season or two ago and he aquitted himself quite well. Even did quite well on the draw. I would give him a shot at it in training camp. This guy has all the speed and skills necessary to be an excellent player - dont give up on him yet!! (Management think outside the box for a change)

I'm no big fan of Raymond anymore either but if he could improve his passing and start feeding Kesler then he would have some value again. I'd be more than happy to see him put up 15 goals and say roughly 30-40 assists.

Raymond needs his line mates to be big, players that make room for him to function so he can play his game. That said Raymond will have to go to the holes created by those players to be effective.

Did Raymond have those types of line mates last season? I like Raymond but I think he lacks enough nasty.

I think that May Ray needs to work on three things and if he can, he could be that 20 goal scorer we once knew.

1. Not falling - duh

2. Improve shot - He shoots fairly often, but unfortunately his shots are often weak and not accurate. If he can get some more power and accuracy into his wrist/snap shot, he will score many more goals.

3. Seeing the Ice - Raymond seems to have lost a lot of his old vision for the ice. He was never an amazing playmaker or anything, but he seems to have lost all understanding of 'creating a play'. He needs to start thinking ahead of "I have the puck. I can shoot it." and more towards "what are all of my options in this situation?"

How to improve Raymond:

1) Train like a fiend and pack on 10-20 lbs. of muscle. Especially his core. Raymond meet pasta. Pasta meet Raymond.

2) Sacrifice some of that top end speed for control. I'm not sure if it's his skates, or learning a more better stride, or keeping his centre of gravity low. He needs to improve his ability to keep on his skates.

3) Train with Kesler or the Twins. Learn how to take a hit, how to avoid a hit, learn how to better skate through traffic, and look for openings.

4) Work on timing and his release. When he gets the puck don't hold onto it for too long. Work on quick thinking, quick reactions, and either making a pass, or get a shot on net.

I think what we have here is a guy who's used to using his speed to burn the opposition. However, in the NHL everyone is fast so D-men know just take away time and space and you nullify him. It might take some time but I think his flaws are correctable.

Just depends if we're the ones who are going to help him, or he'll be traded to a team for a fresh start?

I think he can score 20 goals, but Hansen is improving a lot and will steal the limelight of that 3rd line. He really gelled with the Sedins too, so might see some time with them.

Injuries will play a big factor of where he slots into the lineup, but for the majority it'll be on the 3rd line with Lapierre and Hansen, or the 4th line if he plays badly and Kassian plays well.

Archived