The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Raymond Re Define Himself?

Angry Goose

Sentimentality is the domain of losers. You put the best players on the ice or you do not win.

I never broke my back, but I have permanent lower back damage and disruption to my quality of life and still go in day in and out in my job and not get over 2 mill a year to do it.

Save the sympathy for people that are truly downtrodden, not for poor rich MayRay.

Sympathy?? Nobody is putting him on the team out of sympathy. He is a proven 20 goal scorer that is yet to reach his potential and had a career threatening injury stunt his development. Somebody compared him to Andy MacDonald and I think that is a very fair comparison. Undersized but defensively responsible, super fast but hands that haven't caught up the legs, at least not yet. Sometimes he controls the puck for his entire shift and creates 3-4 good chances. He has a 25 goal season and hasn't even reached his peek. Sympathy signing?? Hardly. Only thing worse than a simpathy signing is giving up on a player because of an injury plagued year and then watching said player go and light it up on another team after a full off season to recover.

Man, the people on CDC are such tools. Have any of you losers been on a sports team? Work ethic is everything. And production isn't all that counts. People need to rely on each other and work harder for the sake of the team and the coach. If your players won't work hard for you, the team will rot from the inside.

You get them to work for you by rewarding them for sacrificing for the team. That means practicing hard, bringing all they have to games and powering through production slumps. That's why AV puts guys on the ice on any given game not solely for their production but depending on how hard they work (both on game day and in practice). Behind the scenes, Mayray outworked a hell of a lot of other players to get back in the game after the SCF. Manny did the same. If AV didn't play them, this team would have barely showed up for games, let alone gotten another presidents trophy. I can only assume the reason you all forget this and talk relentlessly out of your asses is because you think that your experiences as "fans" (aka TV-watching, beer-to-piss factories) is in any way an analog to the experience of being in an NHL game. What a joke.

Sentimentality is the domain of losers. You put the best players on the ice or you do not win.

I never broke my back, but I have permanent lower back damage and disruption to my quality of life and still go in day in and out in my job and not get over 2 mill a year to do it.

Save the sympathy for people that are truly downtrodden, not for poor rich MayRay.

I didn't say it was a sympathy signing, I am saying that those that have sympathy and think we should sign based off that are out to lunch.

To answer the rest, I fear Raymond coming back to haunt us about as much as Wellwood. If he proves me wrong, power to him, but his whole time here, all I have seen is where a scoring chance goes to die.

The discussion isn't over. It's just that the thread is titled "Can Raymond redefine himself?" not "Should Raymond be paid more because of his injury?". Something you seem to have missed out when you started complaining about your own job.

This is (it should be!) his last chance to prove he can be a Canuck, and I hope he has a stellar year. Raymond was one of my favorite Canucks the past couple of years and I hope he can get you guys back on the bandwagon as well haha.

That being said, if he does have a great year, he better take a discount to play here after, because we've given him so many chances, and more money than he's worth.

This is (it should be!) his last chance to prove he can be a Canuck, and I hope he has a stellar year. Raymond was one of my favorite Canucks the past couple of years and I hope he can get you guys back on the bandwagon as well haha.

I was responding to someone that tried to play the "I'd like to see you do better" card, like they used to do with Cloutier. I didn't buy it then, and I don't now.

Your post was just a bunch of trash about how you are an elite fan compared to everyone else mixed with a bunch of swearing and assorted insults and E-thugging. If you believe that is contribution to a debate, you are mistaken.

Cool story. But I think you forgot about the part where you completely diverted the conversation away from "Mayray was injured and that affected his play" to saying how downtrodden you are yet still go to work. Because those two things are complete analogs of one another. So you stop using a hockey player's injury as a lead in for how you deserve sympathy, and I'll stop saying how you're self-aggrandizing by associating your situation with that of said player. K?

Hah, I am not looking for any sympathy, nor tried to divert to conversation. My point is that MayRay is a Pro athlete and paid well to be so. Weather or not any poster on here could come back from the same injury in their respective lives is a non issue as I responded.

For the record, no one on here should care about my back in any way shape or form, sorry if anyone thought that was what I was going for, because it certainly was not.

For the final time, I am pointing out that you should care about my back injury about as much as his, RE: NOT AT ALL. Only should care if he can do the job. Not saying not to sympathize with him as a human, but you want the best product on the ice, period. If his injury holds the Canucks back, then he must be replaced.

For the final time, I am pointing out that you should care about my back injury about as much as his, RE: NOT AT ALL. Only should care if he can do the job. Not saying not to sympathize with him as a human, but you want the best product on the ice, period. If his injury holds the Canucks back, then he must be replaced.

Archived