The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Raymond Re Define Himself?

Angry Goose

Columbus%252BBlue%252BJackets%252Bv%252BVancouver%252BCanucks%252BUCPdTGCncI2l.jpg

Part of me hopes Raymond makes a serious effort on working on his passing game. Chances are he is going to be in a Canucks uniform next year, and after a very tough season he knows he needs to contribute or his ass is gas. As a play maker he could be a much better all around player. Doesn't have to be Sedin-esque fancy but just a solid passer- always looking to distribute the puck.

He defines himself as points type player, so I see a real chance here for him to develop this part of his game. He could really have a turn around season if this part of his game improved significantly next season. And we all know the 2nd line needs that type of player.

They say you can't teach an old goose new tricks. But Raymond is not an old goose, and he in a lot of ways he is still a young developing goose. I think he has tried the "north south" route and we all know how that ends up- with him on his butt. Ideally I would like to see Raymond develop into a versatile type player, passer/scorer/defender. He doesn't need to be phenomenal in any category, just solid in all. Sort of like Higgins but with less grit and more top end skill.

Here's hoping anyways. Could be the feel good story of the year next year.

I would be happy to see him get that opportunity as long as it isn't here.

And I still completely don't forgive him for falling down on that wrap around in OT, if he could have stayed on his feet a few seconds longer he would have tucked it in and the series would have been prolonged. Oh well.

Raymond you frustrate me to no end...

If Raymond could get rid of his tunnel vision and look for plays to make, he'd become so much more valuable to the team.

Raymond has the same type of tools to work with as Andy McDonald in St.Louis, and he should watch tapes of McDonald and work on doing things like he does. When he races into the zone at high speed, backing defenders in, he will often curl back sharply so he gets into perfect passing position to feed his linemate for a good scoring chance. Raymond races in and stays as close to the boards as he can, then weakly lobs the puck at the goalies crest...

I don't believe he can. He is on this team for his back checking abilities, which combined with his speed is excellent for the penalty kill.

Raymond can't seem to muster enough strength to stay on his feet or give himself enough space to make a pass. He has been a 2nd line LW lock for a majority of the last 2 seasons, a position beside Kesler that many players would kill for.

If I recall correctly even in the locker clean up he said he wouldn't become a physical player. Keeping Raymond is a hindrance.

Is it just me or does it seem like mayray is always falling down... he is very skilled and has soft hands but as the LA Kings proved you need to have that grit and strength to be sucessful when it counts. I just don't think Raymond has that grit and strength in him so when he is not producing he is practically useless. I think that MG will keep him though because he is really good friends with Garrison.

With a full off-season to train I believe he can get to 40+, maybe even 50 point form.

However, there is obvious risk and uncertainty to his inconsistent play this year.

I think Gillis is signing him to give him 1 more try. I will be okay with that.

It would just be a better option to trade him/part ways and find someone who has less risk and more size

He was coming off a broken back last year.. there is a chance with a full offseason of training and reflection on his play that he will turn it around this year. He has some huge physical and mental hurdles to overcome though.... I'm still glad he's being given the chance.

no

it doesnt matter what you say....i will always hate him and wish he was gone

the raymond you saw last season was the exact player we cant risk relying on....its too risky, bring in a fresh face who can do more then just "skate like the wind....then fall down"

Archived