The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 year old eats grandmas "pot cookies"

Grandma's pot cookies land 3-year-old Southern California boy in hospital

by Associated Press

KREM.com

Posted on July 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Updated today at 11:17 AM

(AP) MURRIETA, Calif. - Police say a 3-year-old Southern California boy ended up in the hospital after eating his grandmother's marijuana-laced cookies.

Murietta police Sgt. Phil Gomez told the Riverside Press-Enterprise Monday that the grandmother, a cancer patient, had a doctor's recommendation to use marijuana to ease her pain.

Gomez says she had baked a batch of drug-laced cookies and stored them in a garage refrigerator.

The toddler's father had seen cookie crumbs in the garage but the family grew concerned only when they couldn't wake the toddler after more than 16 hours of sleep and realized he had consumed the cookies.

The child was observed at a hospital and released.

Investigators are awaiting toxicology tests. If marijuana is found in the child's system, family members could face child endangerment charges.

Not very smart putting them in a fridge accessible to a 3 year old.

Grandma's pot cookies land 3-year-old Southern California boy in hospital

by Associated Press

KREM.com

Posted on July 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Updated today at 11:17 AM

(AP) MURRIETA, Calif. - Police say a 3-year-old Southern California boy ended up in the hospital after eating his grandmother's marijuana-laced cookies.

Murietta police Sgt. Phil Gomez told the Riverside Press-Enterprise Monday that the grandmother, a cancer patient, had a doctor's recommendation to use marijuana to ease her pain.

Gomez says she had baked a batch of drug-laced cookies and stored them in a garage refrigerator.

The toddler's father had seen cookie crumbs in the garage but the family grew concerned only when they couldn't wake the toddler after more than 16 hours of sleep and realized he had consumed the cookies.

The child was observed at a hospital and released.

Investigators are awaiting toxicology tests. If marijuana is found in the child's system, family members could face child endangerment charges.

Not very smart putting them in a fridge accessible to a 3 year old.

Poor boy. I feel bad for the family too. I get that they should have been aware that the kid could have gotten to them but it wasn't done on purpose. That is exactly why we had all of our cupboards and even our fridge doors locked up when my younger sister was around the same age.... also because she loved to play with flour -.-

If maruijuana really is a gateway drug that kid is screwed. He'll be hitting the hard stuff by age 5!

Very irresponsible to leave them where he could find them. Maybe they assumed he'd never go into the garage fridge but one thing I've learned being a pee wee hockey coach: never underestimate the wit of a kid :)

You have to just laugh at this. It helps that the kid was fine obviously.

I can just imagine the vicious cycle of the kid eating pot cookies, getting the munchies, and wanting more cookies.

Poor boy. I feel bad for the family too. I get that they should have been aware that the kid could have gotten to them but it wasn't done on purpose. That is exactly why we had all of our cupboards and even our fridge doors locked up when my younger sister was around the same age.... also because she loved to play with flour -.-

Archived