The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Jordan Schroeder Have Parise Potential?

Pasific Coluseum

In almost every trade proposal I see Canucks fans including him in. Have we given up on him already?

Is he too small for your liking? Are you tired of him not proving his worth by making the Canucks roster?

Could it be like the Sedins in that Jordan become a late bloomer and eventually tear it up. As a comparable maybe Zach Parise. Both smaller centers, american, both 1st round draft picks etc...

How about like Cliff Ronning?

I'd be happy with that (and its not a bad comparison...)!

:)

With all the talk about his lack of heart and determination, I think people are forgetting that Schroeder was the captain of the US World Junior team that won gold, and became the highest scoring American in the World Juniors in the process. He's also shown a lot of class in the AHL and has improved his defensive game.

Having said all that, he was drafted for his passing and playmaking ability, not as a future superstar. He could definitely be a second line center, maybe even start this coming year before Kesler comes back, but he'll never be anything like Parise. Maybe... like a Koivu, or Gomez when he was good.

Everyone should remember that Schroeder only played on the 2nd line. While he hasn't exactly produced outstanding numbers in the AHL, you should never write a player off until you can see what they do at the NHL level with better line mates.

I think we may under rate Schroeder. The kid has unusual speed. Hes fast by NHL standards. They key with him he is so physically strong he reminds me of Martin St Louis in that regard. He wins more puck battles than you would think for a smaller man.

I know we have our doubts, but this kid was rated very highly and McTavish really did a number on his head. I always thought Jordan's weakness was his mental focus and his skill would allow him to get away with it. When he got to Chicago it was no longer going to carry him and he completely changed his attitude to work hard on every shift.

If Schroeder can do this, he could end up being a 25 goal 70 point player by time he is 28 years old.

Maybe he should go a year in the NHL before we try to ask that question............afterall we don't even know if he has what it takes for the NHL never mind be a potential Parise.

Everyone should remember that Schroeder only played on the 2nd line. While he hasn't exactly produced outstanding numbers in the AHL, you should never write a player off until you can see what they do at the NHL level with better line mates.

No.

Last tree Stanley Cup winners say size is quite important. Again, per Ray Ferraro: when you're "that small you have to absolutely dominate the previous level" to get a serious consideration. Dude hasn't come close.

MG struck out it with this pick as I can't see him becoming a regular NHLer with us, though he may get a prolonged look at some point. On a more positive note, I like our last two drafts and can conceive of up to 4 players (Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce, Mallet) eventually making the show.

Interesting draft in 2009.

Schroeder was chosen 22nd overall, so part of the question becomes "who should we have got", or "who did we miss"?

No one. He was a good pick.

Of players drafted after him, Ryan O'Reilly is the only name to stand out as playing any NHL ice time yet, and that is largely in part due to Colorado being a budget team.

Of players before him, Nick Leddy (16th) and Dimitri Kulikov (14th) are the next closest to having played any amount of NHL ice time. in 13th is Zack Kassian, who has also started to log NHL ice time.

Schroeder was a good pick, but he is still only 21. Keslers first full season was when he was 21, and this is what was said about his draft year.

Many analysts have pegged this draft as one of the most talented groups, some even say better than the 1979 NHL Draft, ever selected in a single draft.

Archived