Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[The Province] Canucks could find ideal No. 2 in Islanders Al Montoya

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,497 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Canucks could find ideal No. 2 in Islanders’ Al Montoya:

In the 2005 world junior hockey tournament, Cory Schneider had a long look at how teammate and roommate Al Montoya handled expectation in backstopping the U.S. to within a win of a medal in Grand Forks, N.D.

It could be the other way around next NHL season.

When the Vancouver Canucks finally move Roberto Luongo in an offseason trade scenario, they will need to address various needs and also find more than just a capable backup for Schneider in his new role as the bona fide starter.

They’ll need someone who can step in and play a number of pre-determined games or more if Schneider succumbs to injury or indifferent play.

They’ll need someone who can support the starter and who won’t wilt under the glare of the media spotlight.

In time, that goalie will be Eddie Lack. For now, it could be Montoya.

The unrestricted free agent may provide what the Canucks are seeking because of what the Presidents’ Trophy winners and St. Louis Blues proved last season.

Only three goalies hit the 70-game mark — Pekka Rinne (73), Jonas Hiller (73) and Miikka Kiprusoff (70) — and the tandem of Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak were first and fifth respectively in goals-against average and first and sixth in saves percentage.

A lot of that has to do with the way Ken Hitchcock coaches, but being swept by the Los Angeles Kings in the second round of the playoffs had more to do with scoring just six goals — because through the regular season, Halak started 46 games and Elliott 36, and both were solid.

That’s certainly not the plan in Vancouver and there’s every reason to believe that Schneider, 26, will rise to the challenge of handling a significant workload after signing a three-year, $12-million US extension last week.

But making a play for Montoya might be a good move because the sixth overall pick in the 2004 draft went 9-11-5 last season for the struggling New York Islanders and is capable of better than a 3.11 goals-against average and .893 saves percentage on a better team.

After earning $601,000 last season, the 27-year-old won’t break the bank and would obviously relish improving his numbers and having a chance to win it all. That would up his stock, too.

“You’ve seen in the league how well two-goalie tandems work — maybe not 50-50 starts — but just having a very capable second guy who can come in to any building and give you a chance to win,” Schneider said Tuesday.

“I’m sure with the success we had last year with Roberto and myself playing that I’m sure the team would want to go in that direction and find someone they trust to win games.

“Whoever is there next year, I’m sure it will be fine and I’ll work with him.

“He [Montoya] played out of his mind in that [2005] tournament and it was the [NHL] lockout year so there was a ton of attention and a lot of pressure was still on him.

“He had to do a lot of media and he was the focus and thrust into the spotlight at a young age. He handled it remarkably well. Watching that tournament got me ready for the next year and to play on the big stage.”

Schneider has come a long way since that 2005 event. He was pulled in his only start by allowing three goals against Belarus in 22:41 of playing time, but was the starter for the U.S. the following year in Vancouver.

He went 2-3-1, with a 2.67 GAA and .912 saves percentage as the Americans lost 4-2 in the bronze-medal game with Finland.

Last season, Schneider was more than just comfortable in his relationship with Luongo and the heightened expectation when he took over the crease in Game 3 of a first-round playoff series against the Kings.

He compiled a 20-8-1 record and his 1.96 GAA was only behind Elliott (1.56) and Jonathan Quick (1.95) while his .937 saves percentage ranked second to Elliott (.940).

He also won five-straight games in November, including back-to-back shutouts in Colorado and Phoenix, before a 43-save win at San Jose.

“There have been stretches where I’ve played a lot of games in a short amount of time, but I honestly like playing more,” added Schneider.

“You get into a better rhythm and you don’t think about it as much. The few stretches don’t equate to a full schedule and it will definitely be a challenge but one I’m looking forward to.”

The other option for the Canucks is to bring a more seasoned stopper to fill the same role but on a one-year deal.

It would be a bridge until Lack arrives, yet there are risks involved with older players, too, who are more prone to injury and inconsistency.

But even those UFAs who have played in Vancouver and understand the market are being snapped up by richer offers overseas.

Curtis Sanford, 32, ($600,000) has gone to the KHL and Andrew Raycroft, 32, ($650,000) is off to Italy. Dan Ellis, 32, ($1.5 million) might be a better option and if Phoenix is willing to trade former Canuck backup Jason LaBarbera, 32, who has a year left on his deal at $1.25 million, that would be a more costly option.

The Canucks could also be asked to take back Jose Theodore, 35, and his $1.5-million salary in a trade with the Panthers. He is a UFA after next season.

“I honestly don’t know which direction they’re thinking of going or who they’re thinking about,” summed up Schneider.

“The team may want to go one direction or the other and I really don’t have a say in it.”

http://www.theprovin...9122/story.html

307mg00.jpg

#2 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Luongo definitely won't waive his NTC to go the island. We would have to trade another asset to get Montoya. I would really like Paranteau as well. He could be the 2nd line playmaker we have been missing.

Raymond + Ballard + 3nd round pick for Montoya + Paranteau + 2nd round pick

#3 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,355 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

1M/yr for 14 years

#4 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

Honestly, I wouldnt mind him as a #2.

Not great stats, but he played for the Islanders, so not many goalies there are going to have good numbers

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#5 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,355 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Luongo definitely won't waive his NTC to go the island. We would have to trade another asset to get Montoya. I would really like Paranteau as well. He could be the 2nd line playmaker we have been missing.

paranteau plays for the Colorado Avalanche now.

#6 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

montoya is a free agent

Posted Image

#7 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Montoya is a FA guys
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#8 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Still hoping for Theodore if we are dealing Luongo to Florida. He had a good season with Florida and he's experienced. With him, give Schneider 50 games or 60 max. This team would still have a good chance at winning with Theodore.

I don't know about Montoya. I have watched him play a few times and i can't really say he has impressed me. Even though he's pretty big he looks so small in the net

#9 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

Are you stuck in last week or something?

PA Parenteau signed with the Colorado Avelanche and Al Montoya is a free agent.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

12 years 5.3 Million cap hit.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#11 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 72,497 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Posted Image

307mg00.jpg

#12 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

he wont accept that. 12m signing bonus minimum at least? be realistic here.

Posted Image

#13 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

I'd do it.
2 year, $2 mil per.
Posted Image

#14 ErnieVan

ErnieVan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Wait until it gets closer to the start of the season and there will be lots of guys available to be a backup and you'll be able to get them for for close to the minimum.

#15 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Montoya is a FA guys

Ya we should sign him.. perfect signing to back up schnieds

3 yrs/ $1.2 M per

Edited by CanucksFanMike, 03 July 2012 - 06:49 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#16 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,564 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Yeah okay. Let's be sure that we're needing him first. A plethora of backups is available at any time. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#17 'NucK™

'NucK™

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

he's a FA..

personally, i wouldn't sign him without a 2-way. 1.5 per for 2 years, 500k in minors max

dunno.. we don't really need another young backup. especially with theodore likely coming from florida

Edited by 'NucK™, 03 July 2012 - 06:57 PM.

Posted Image

#18 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,232 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'd love to see the Canucks nab Montoya to back up Schneider next season. He played well (or as well as can be expected) for the Isles and as a backup who could potentially start more games should Schneider get hurt, he's more capable of carrying the load than Lack is at this point.

CDCGML Commissioner/Winnipeg Jets <---Click For Roster!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Support Canuck Place Childrens Hospice - http://www.canuckplace.org/

This is what hockey should be. A lot of chances, a lot of hitting, no cheap shots, no chirping after whistles."

#19 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,487 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

This makes me question why even read these forums.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#20 SAnuck

SAnuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Meh not that interested tbh. Not a bad goalie and his stats will always be bad at the Islanders but I'd prefer theodore.

#21 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

This makes me question why even read these forums.

HAHA

I don't know where to start, it's too easy.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#22 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

I find Kuzma to be by far the best writer at that paper, and feel bad for him having to work with those peers at the Province, but I don't see why the Canucks would have more trust in Montoya than they would in Lack. Montoya has less NHL experience than Schneider - I could see signing him to a two-way contract to fill the space left by Lack when he comes to the Canucks, but I think with the likelihood of a Florida deal, Theodore is probably a better option, and regardless, I want to see what Lack can do. He has earned a shot as much as Schneider had. If the Canucks were to turn a deal relatively quickly with someone else, Montoya might be more of a possibility (as the third option imo), but if that doesn't happen, I don't see the Canucks adding another goalie in that age range. It would have to be a two-way deal, or it simply wouldn't be appropriate, imo, to assume he is more capable than Lack.

Edited by oldnews, 03 July 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#23 EDLER.IS.BEAST

EDLER.IS.BEAST

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Still hoping for Theodore if we are dealing Luongo to Florida. He had a good season with Florida and he's experienced. With him, give Schneider 50 games or 60 max. This team would still have a good chance at winning with Theodore.

I don't know about Montoya. I have watched him play a few times and i can't really say he has impressed me. Even though he's pretty big he looks so small in the net

Heard on OTR that Theodore has a limited NTC and Vancouver isn't on his list.

#24 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Personally I'd rather go with Lack or Theodore, but he is a viable 3rd option.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#25 NucksBruins

NucksBruins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

No way this deal works unless they throw in Mike Bossy.
Posted Image

#26 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,091 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Heard on OTR that Theodore has a limited NTC and Vancouver isn't on his list.

usually a limited NTC involves a small list of teams a player won't go to.......I believe Ballard has one.

#27 Smyl ( :

Smyl ( :

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Give Lack a shot

#28 canucks411

canucks411

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

Haha wow......
-Montoya is a FA (don't need to trade for him)
- Paranteau plays for Colorado and just signed a 4yr contract

Nucks 4 life hey? Well at least u didn't say you are a clever hockey fan

Edited by canucks411, 03 July 2012 - 09:53 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks Ballard_4 for the sig!

#29 CmdrAdama

CmdrAdama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

The best option is still Luongo... why not wait until the deadline? This way management will know if Schneider's truly ready, or not

#30 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,674 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

So much for that

RT @nhlupdate: Jets sign Al Montoya. He will back-up Pavelec.

Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.