The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Suter offered 13 year deal by detroit

If you were Suter or Parise, would you want to play in the same team for the next 12-13 years? Why won't these guys sign a 6-7 yr contract and then have another crack at free agency later, they are pups, if they are as good as people say they are, they will have no problems signing another contract then. That and plus inflation, in 7 years, it will be 10 mill / yr as the standard.

He's 27 now, which means the contract expires when he's 40 which is reasonable for a life-term contract.

As for 7 million a year, Suter is worth about 5 or 6 million. His numbers are far from fascinating and he's playing in a defensive-minded coaching system with the best defenceman in the league to back him up, and the 2nd best guy in the world as a goalie.

I see Suter is very similar to Beauchemin when he played alongside Pronger and won a Cup together. Together, the duo were fantastic but alone Beauchemin is (still great) only a shell of his former self.

13 years is absolutely absurd. Why should teams have to put themselves into great jeopardy just to land a good free agent? There has to be a limit. 6-7 years.

I hope he goes to Detroit just so we have a better chance at landing Weber next year..

I hope he signs in Minnesota. Condidering he and Parise were born there, and it probably produces more NHL: players than any other state in the US, it would be nice to see one of their marquis guys go back. Detroit - you've had your share of UFA jackpots.

Archived