The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Florida lite

Ballisticsports.

I recall Gilles saying he was modelling our Team after the Detroit Red Wings

With all the ex Panthers on the Team, I hope he hasnt changed his mind,and decided on Poor Panther Teams as His new model :)

These players may yet all work out for the Best.

I am somewhat concerned about our lack of Prospects for the Future with poor drafting and low picks though

Wondering what others opinions are on these acquistions are?

Sound like you've been listening to Botchford and Gallagher.

Let's look at our deals with Florida

Remaining pieces in Vancouver:

Luongo

Booth

Ballard

Remaining pieces in Florida:

Howden

Matthias (via Bertuzzi trade after Bert played 7 games in Florida)

Add Garrison via free agency and the balance is extremely lopsided in favour of Vancouver.

And your comment that these players may yet work out is ironic, particularly where Luongo is concerned, and even more ironic is the fact the Panthers have only two prospects remaiining from those deals.

Sound like you've been listening to Botchford and Gallagher.

Let's look at our deals with Florida

Remaining pieces in Vancouver:

Luongo

Booth

Ballard

Remaining pieces in Florida:

Howden

Matthias (via Bertuzzi trade after Bert played 7 games in Florida)

With all the ex Panthers on the Team, I hope he hasnt changed his mind,and decided on Poor Panther Teams as His new model :)

I am somewhat concerned about our lack of Prospects for the Future with poor drafting and low picks though

How is that?

His response didnt even make sense to my post !

I wasnt comparing how we came out against Florida.

I was talking in jest about how we seem to have acquired many Panthers (and maybe even more with a goalie trade)?

Unlike most people I think our trades with Florida have worked out quite well. We may have picked up some bad contracts, but in terms of the on ice product I still say we won.

-The Luongo and Higgins trades were steals.

-The Ballard trade was probably a mistake, although it's hard to say since Grabner is no longer a Panther and may not have made our team even if we kept him. Having Howden or another prospect would come in handy though.

-I know people complain about the Booth trade, but I don't think it was that bad. Samuelsson is no longer a Panther and will likely be retired in a few years, and we were lucky we managed to trade Sturm before his value went down the toilet completely. 5 points in 42 games for the Panthers, if MG hadn't traded him CDC would be calling for his head. For this season that trade probably had a neutral impact, but for future seasons I think it works out well for our team.

As a have not team, Florida needs to get rid of expensive contracts, so our series of trades fills their needs. As one of the richest teams in the league, we can spend right up to the cap and we do, so we need better players who will improve our team. Florida wins the trades financially, but the Canucks win on the ice, and that's what I care about most.

yes - that may be the best point of all /user/58426-niloc009/">Niloc009. Thanks.

Sorry Higgy - absolutely no one in their right mind complains about that deal.

Higgins

Luongo

Booth

Ballard

(Garrison)

Howden

Matthias

3rd in 2013

That 3rd is really going to have to pan out to tip the scales back.

Anyhow - Gallagher and Botchford have said things like Mike Gillis should not answer the phone if it rings and Florida is calling.... and we wonder why Canucks fans...

It didn't necessarily come across as jesting - not as obvious as perhaps you intended it.

Regarding "poor drafting" and lack of prospects, that too is probably eithera little over-stated, or hopefully a joke.

Although drafting very late, the Canucks have still managed to generate a very solid lineup of prospects...

Jensen Schroeder Rodin

Connauton Tanev

Lack

Gaunce is not exactly a disappointig pick either.

Unlike most people I think our trades with Florida have worked out quite well. We may have picked up some bad contracts, but in terms of the on ice product I still say we won.

-The Luongo and Higgins trades were steals.

-The Ballard trade was probably a mistake, although it's hard to say since Grabner is no longer a Panther and may not have made our team even if we kept him. Having Howden or another prospect would come in handy though.

-I know people complain about the Booth trade, but I don't think it was that bad. Samuelsson is no longer a Panther and will likely be retired in a few years, and we were lucky we managed to trade Sturm before his value went down the toilet completely. 5 points in 42 games for the Panthers, if MG hadn't traded him CDC would be calling for his head. For this season that trade probably had a neutral impact, but for future seasons I think it works out well for our team.

As a have not team, Florida needs to get rid of expensive contracts, so our series of trades fills their needs. As one of the richest teams in the league, we can spend right up to the cap and we do, so we need better players who will improve our team. Florida wins the trades financially, but the Canucks win on the ice, and that's what I care about most.

Notwithstanding the big contracts for Ballard and Booth, who needs prospects or a minor league system when the Panthers are our farm team? Good on the Panthers to have developed our 'prospects' for us. Hopefully, there is more to come.

Archived