The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UFC 148 - Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen - Saturday, July. 7

Anderson gets better every fight he's in. I think in the past he's been a bit guilty of getting bored and complacent, which is what happened in the first Sonnen fight. Honestly, the worst thing Sonnen could have done is get Anderson emotionally involved in the fight, and he did that x10.

Silva will kill Sonnen. Last fight Sonnen showed and gave Silva his best and all he could handle, but he still failed.

Now we know what Sonnen is going to do, what more can he do or change from last fight after dominating Silva and still lose?

Sonnen has not seen the real Anderson Silva and the best he got, now he will.

What? Don't make it seem as if Chael was moving away from Anderson and didn't want to lose - he dominated the whole match! I don't know what you were watching if you think Sonnen was

Sonnen kicked his @ss and gave him the whooping of his life! He put Silva on the ground longer than all the fighters combined that fought Anderson. And again, to think Sonnen was "trying to hold on", that's just ridiculous....he never gave back and was ontop of him even during the last seconds of the fight....don't make bs excuses...

Well it looks like nobody really knows what to expect from this fight. Reading through the comments there seems to be about a 50/50 split in terms of who people are cheering for and/or who they think will win.

I honestly have no idea how anyone can cheer for Chael, other than him being a great wrestler. He is an arrogant prick who has yet to achieve anything significant in his career (yet) and he trash talks the Champ, a man who has defended the belt 9 straight times? Did anyone see Chael's last fight with Bisping? He looked awful and barely won. Or his fight with Maia? Or any of his other losses, 8 or which have come by either triangle or armbar? Yah, he's in a great position to call someone out the way he has. But, that's fine. It's all of the crap he talked about Brazilians that took it too far. I know he is trying to sell a fight, but, he just gives himself and other Americans a terrible name.

I can see this fight going one of two ways. And, it all hinges on whether Anderson can defend the intial few take downs. Last fight, Chael caught Anderson with a good, but somewhat fortunate shot which allowed Chael to secure that critical first takedown. Once Anderson had been on his back for a round and been beaten the way he was, it was damn near impossible to defend future

TDs. Make no mistake, Chael dominated 95% of that fight, but, he still lost. If he cannot secure that first takedown and keep him down, Anderson will likely destroy him on the feet. Either way, I think it'll be a beatdown, but, I've got to go with Silva on this one. Second round TKO.

Recent outburst aside (keeping in mind the outburst was provoked numerous times and topped off with personal insults from Sonnen towards Silva and all of Brazil), Silva is one of the classiest fighters to ever step into the octagon. He's accomplished as much if not more than any MMA fighter ever has in the sport thus far. He's literally cleaned out his entire weight division while Sonned was compiling an unimpressive 8-6 in the UFC.

Since this is a hockey site first and foremost I'll make an analogy if I may: Silva is like Yzerman or Sakic - done it all and won it all with class and will surely end up in the hall of fame. Sonnen is like a Domi, Avery or Carcillo - not much to add to the sport except their mouths and will be forgotten immediately upon leaving the sport.

I look forward to seeing how Sonnen will get his foot out of his mouth when he loses - that alone would be worth the price of PPV .

Chael Sonnen is a great wrestler. Anderson Silva is a world class MM artist. There's a big difference, you need diversity to excel at that business, and Chael is a 1 trick pony that has already shown all his cards.

Vegas is giving Sonnen a 35% shot right now, and that's generous as hell. THis isn't just going to be a win for Silva, he's going to end Sonnen's career.

Chael is an incredibly arrogant prick, yet he's the only arrogant prick that I respect despite not being impressed with that mouth of his. He talks a lot of trash but at the end of the day he actually backs it up. I'm tired of these 'tough guys' in all walks of life that run their mouth but don't back it up at all or do a poor job of it.

Archived