The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Suter to Minnesota Wild

Guest AriGold

Minnesota still has a pretty crappy defense even though it is underrated.

Suter-Gilbert

Stoner-Scandella

Prosser-Spurgeon

Should not scare anyone.

Suter is a solid defenseman, but I think his success was derived from playing in Trotz's system as well as playing with Weber.

Suter-Gilbert

Stoner-Scandella

Prosser-Spurgeon

Should not scare anyone.

Suter is a solid defenseman, but I think his success was derived from playing in Trotz's system as well as playing with Weber.

Last I checked, Minnesota's perennial problem is goal-scoring. Do either of these signings address that issue, really?

I think the completely unheralded Torrey Mitchell signing will be good for Setoguchi. They're old Worcester Shark roommates and they could combine for a good 60-75 points from the second or third line. I've never thought much of Parise, even as a big Team USA fan, and Suter was great with Weber, but who do they pair him with in Minnesota?

Bottom line, I hate super-long-term contracts, I think they're way too risky, so I don't think this is going to be a great day for Minnesota hockey, long-term, but it should certainly make the Northwest Division competitive next season than it was the last two seasons in a row.

Suter-Gilbert

Stoner-Scandella

Prosser-Spurgeon

Should not scare anyone.

haha, Seabrook, Chara, Weber, Karlsson, Doughty... Hamhuis.

If he weren't a member of the Canucks, he wouldn't even be considered for such a list. Top 20 MAYBE. Top 10? Hell naw

He's not as good as everyone thinks. Been playing behind Weber his whole career. Now the second best D on his team is Glibert. We'll see how bad this contract turns out. Ballard's contract keeps on looking better and better.

Some people really don't have a clue. Suter is elite. He wasn't playing "behind" Weber at all. Suter did more for Weber's game than vice versa. Suter can play with anybody, and though he may not put up gaudy point totals, this is not a bad signing at all when you account for salary cap inflation. It's a fantastic signing. Remember the Olympics, when Suter played with Rafalski and the latter was named the tournament's best defenseman? Funny how the guy Suter has been partnered with for the last few years has also been considered one of the game's best defensemen. This is what playing with Ryan Suter does. I still think Weber is one of the game's best, and Nashville will find a good partner for him for sure, but he will have a bigger time adjusting to life without Suter than the other way around.

The Parise signing is also great for them. One of the best two-way LW's in the league and one of the better goal-scorers too. He can and will do everything for the Wild.

Archived