The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Parise is a Wild

I'm pretty happy about this. Good to see what we'll have some meaning games in the northwest again, it feels like it's been a while.

Also happy they didn't goto Flyers or the Penguins.

Personally I don't feel like this is going to be enough to make the Wild an elite team. When you have that many holes to fill bringing in 2 guys like that can probably be considered more of a starting point. If I could make one loose comparison it'd be the Blue Jackets bringing in Carter and Wiesnewski. Obviously Parise and Suter are better players but the point is you need more than 2 players to improve a lousy team.

A few points:

1. This defence is not the defence of a top 8 team, even with Suter.

Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Tom Gilbert ($4.000m)

Clayton Stoner ($1.050m) / Steven Kampfer ($0.850m)

Marco Scandella ($0.846m) / Nate Prosser ($0.825m)

2. An improved NW division will keep gillis on his toes. Last year down the stretch the canucks had a cake walk and an inaccurate measure of how good the team actually was.

3. Its better that these guys went to a really weak team rather than Detroit or Chicago. Canucks window of opportunity is now: Preds, Detroit just got weaker, Minnesota still not good enough to knock them off the top of division.

A few points:

1. This defence is not the defence of a top 8 team, even with Suter.

Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Tom Gilbert ($4.000m)

Clayton Stoner ($1.050m) / Steven Kampfer ($0.850m)

Marco Scandella ($0.846m) / Nate Prosser ($0.825m)

2. An improved NW division will keep gillis on his toes. Last year down the stretch the canucks had a cake walk and an inaccurate measure of how good the team actually was.

3. Its better that these guys went to a really weak team rather than Detroit or Chicago. Canucks window of opportunity is now: Preds, Detroit just got weaker, Minnesota still not good enough to knock them off the top of division.

They added a top pairing D and a top line forward. I'd say those additions should push them over the hump and put them in the playoffs. But you're right that they need to improve the blueline further.

Suter and Parise going to the Wild is both good and bad for the Canucks.

The Bad - Obviously the Wild and Northwest got a whole lot tougher.

The Good - GMMG now has to make a move to keep pace and stay ahead in terms of improving the team.

Exciting things to come I'm sure.

This is why we don't engage in bidding wars. It just doesn't fit our model.

That said, my first thought was "Yes, no Detroit for Suter, and no Parise to Pittsburgh."

Our division could use this boost. It was sad that our toughest competition was essentially a kid team from Edmonton.

Archived