The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Parise is a Wild

Anyone else just think Parise and Suter have become so grossly overrated this free agency season?

From what I remember, we all wanted him on our 2nd line a year back (before he made it to the finals)... Since when do 2nd liners make 7.5 mill? He's a 70 point scorer. I really don't think he's worth anything close to a 13 year or 7.5 mill cap hit.

Suter as well. I always believed he was a product of Weber. I guess we'll find out, but one things for certain.. When 2 guys like this get contracts this big, it really scares me at what we'll have to throw at players in the future just to sign any big names,

Lamoriello:

"Our offer was competitive. We did not have a phone call that we had to change it or needed to go up."

"There was never a talk about money after our initial meeting in Toronto."

"I'm never surprised with some of the decision that are made in the game today. Disappointed would be the word I'd use."

"You don't replace a Zach Parise. You just don't do that. But we will not turn out heads. We'll go forward."

Lamoriello:

"Our offer was competitive. We did not have a phone call that we had to change it or needed to go up."

"I'm never surprised with some of the decision that are made in the game today. Disappointed would be the word I'd use."

Lamoriello:

I think this is the best possible outcome for the Canucks. While the Wild will know doubt be a better team in the coming years they still dont have the depth to be considered a real force, at least for the years that are considered the canucks window. We no longer will have to sit through six painful games a year and will actually get some entertainment value and the revitalization of competition in our division.

At the same time, already great teams like Pittsburgh and Detroit dont get the huge boost of having these guys, making our bid for the cup a lot more difficult. This also makes a scenario where Shea Weber leaves Nashville next offseason a lot more likely, were our chances to land him are looking good. Finally while this is great for Minnesota now, when the CBA changes and cap starts decreasing they are going to be stuck with these massive contracts.

Suter, Parise, Koivu, Backstrom, Heatley combine for a shocking $35,326,924

Twelve years from now, I wonder how 39 year old Zach Parise and his $7.5 are going to look. Good day for the Minnesota Wild, but better day for the Vancouver Canucks.

Oh man, a happy day for Wild fans!

Parise alone would have been a huge thing, but Suter as well.

Never thought Minnesota could lure both of them to sign there.

With Granlund getting a shot as well, Minnesota is a big time challenger now! This could boost and elevate Mikko Koivu's game to an even higher level. The only thing negative about this is the amount of cash put into these signings. Crazy, absolutely crazy amounts!

Minny is now nicely snug up to the cap ceiling:

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Pierre-Marc Bouchard ($4.080m)

Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Matt Cullen ($3.500m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.000m)

Darroll Powe ($1.067m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($1.400m)

Jason Zucker ($0.833m) / Mikael Granlund ($2.100m) /

Stephane Veilleux ($0.600m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.900m) /

Matt Kassian ($0.575m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.925m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Tom Gilbert ($4.000m)

Clayton Stoner ($1.050m) / Steven Kampfer ($0.850m)

Marco Scandella ($0.846m) / Nate Prosser ($0.825m)

Jared Spurgeon ($0.527m) /

GOALTENDERS

Niklas Backstrom ($6.000m)

Josh Harding ($1.900m)

BUYOUTS

Mark Parrish ($0.928m) / Cam Barker ($0.542m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,607,200; BONUSES: $1,705,000

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $592,800

Nice to see a hockey market land their home born guys, but the Wild also have, in addition to these latest overpayments, Heatley at a 7.5 million cap hit and Koivu at 6.8 - I like Koivu, but those four contracts are not the kind of bang for your buck that makes you a contender...

Archived