Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Parise is a Wild

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
262 replies to this topic

#241 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Willie Mitchell was their best D-man after Doughty. So instead of just one top-end D-man, they had two. That makes a big difference. The Wild D is better now that they've added Suter, but it's still not there and thanks to those hefty contracts I don't see it getting better in the foreseeable future.

but the poster had talked about "name" D-men. And Mitchell isn't a "name" D-man (not saying he "shouldn't" be one... but most fans don't consider him in the same discussion as other big names on the blue line.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that our D last year was very young and did "ok" at best... which for me, I'm fine with a young group doing "ok" because as they continue to play, their game should develop more and improve. The one guy I am still keeping my eye on is Scandella and his improvement as he gets older.

#242 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Plus the cap has risen every year since the lockout, bar one.

and after this season I think Backstrom and PM-Bouchard won't be back (re-signed) which opens up about 10 million in cap space (then you also have Cullen and a few others as well depending on how the prospects turn out.)

#243 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

first they can trade, it's not like their players all have NTC contracts , so they can always try to move one or two of them for some D

second you probably forgot about all the good young prospects they have : Jonas Brodin , Matthew Dumba and others

I know this year they won't solve the D unless they trade but in the future they will

Young prospects take time to develop, so for the next couple of years it makes no difference. As for the trade route, the Wild better be prepared to part with some of that new found depth at the forward position if they want to bolster their D that way.

Posted Image

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#244 USA HOCKEY

USA HOCKEY

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

Sweet, The dope thing is that they will still continue to miss the playoffs.

The Wild have been, and always will be, one of the worst examples of how to run a hockey club.

They've done alright. You know, I'm old enough to remember the days when the Canucks were the laughers of the NHL for many years. I also remember the Wild knocking the Canucks out of the playoffs after being down something like 3 games to 1? Just a couple of years after they expanded into the league.

And last year when the Wild was the best team in the NHL for the first 30 games until ravaged by injuries.

So they sign the best two free agents available. Parise and Suter have provided the Wild with contracts that will not hamstring the organization. The signing of these two marquee players will not affect the Wild's ability to sign and retain their large pool of arguably the best young talent of any team in the NHL.

The way the Suter and Parise contracts are set up, the Wild will take a minimal cap hit in each of the years of the contract. Well done Wild front office.

So eat that along with your sour grapes.

#245 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:35 AM

did you miss the playoffs this year? LA Kings D wasn't full of names either... yet who was holding the cup at the end?

And why would they sign here (MN)... well last I checked we had one of the best groups of prospects right now, and are about to get flooded with new talent. Even if only 2 of them match expectations, that's 2 players ringing up 70+ points a year (added to Parisie who should make others around him better as well.)

I agree Parise (and Suter, for that matter) makes others around him better. Both are perfect examples of players whose contributions far exceed what shows up on the scoresheet. Both are easily in the top 10 players at their positions. I think they're both good signings. And I agree the Wild have a good future to look forward to. But, I think you are dreaming if you think that any of the Wild's new talent other than Parise are going to sniff 70 points any time soon.

Their defence is still quite thin, and they don't have much scoring past their top 2 lines.

Parise for 7+ million is an absolute joke. 30 goal scorer, yeah, but he's around a 60-70 point producer. Compare this to the Sedins for 6.1 million and you're laughing. He cashed in big-time.

Serious noob.

Edited by Buttock, 06 July 2012 - 04:36 AM.

#246 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

I agree Parise (and Suter, for that matter) makes others around him better. Both are perfect examples of players whose contributions far exceed what shows up on the scoresheet. Both are easily in the top 10 players at their positions. I think they're both good signings. And I agree the Wild have a good future to look forward to. But, I think you are dreaming if you think that any of the Wild's new talent other than Parise are going to sniff 70 points any time soon.

oh I'll easily admit that it would be a dream that 2 out of the 6 prospects hit that mark. Imagine having 2 "rookies" hit 70+ points after landing Suter and Parisie. I'll go on a limb and say if that really did happen (and assuming nobody had major drop offs in points,) we'd be one of the better teams in the west (top 5.) But that's a major "IF" (because those rookies would find it hard to get the ice time if everyone was playing up to their abilities.)

#247 InTo ThE WiLD

InTo ThE WiLD

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

oh I'll easily admit that it would be a dream that 2 out of the 6 prospects hit that mark. Imagine having 2 "rookies" hit 70+ points after landing Suter and Parisie. I'll go on a limb and say if that really did happen (and assuming nobody had major drop offs in points,) we'd be one of the better teams in the west (top 5.) But that's a major "IF" (because those rookies would find it hard to get the ice time if everyone was playing up to their abilities.)

You guys put words in people's mouths though , the original poster never said the great prospects of Minnesota would hit 70 points as Rookies, he meant some of the wild prospects are people that could turn into 70 point scorers once they develop not in their Rookie season .... even though he did not say it clearly , it is obvious none of the prospects are going to hit 70 points on their first nhl season.

PS : I know you're only quoting so technically it is not really you lol

Edited by InTo ThE WiLD, 06 July 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#248 #1MinnWildFan

#1MinnWildFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Sweet, The dope thing is that they will still continue to miss the playoffs.

The Wild have been, and always will be, one of the worst examples of how to run a hockey club.

You mean like when we took you out of the Playoffs in 2003? That's what you mean by "worst examples"?

#249 #1MinnWildFan

#1MinnWildFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

The Suter signing looks like a GROSS overpayment. The Parise signing is just an overpayment. I like the Wild's forward group more than their D. Still, as scary as the Wild look now I don't expect them to be a powerhouse in the sense of being a dynasty.

They just signed up for a pair of stinky deals long term, and in the near future I just don't see them surpassing the mighty Canucks :canucks:

Since they both supposedly "left money on the table" because other teams offered more $, why do you think they're overpaid? Do you think that about Luongo?

#250 KSniper88

KSniper88

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

nothing against parise cuz he wanted to go to his hometown...

#251 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

Since they both supposedly "left money on the table" because other teams offered more $, why do you think they're overpaid? Do you think that about Luongo?

Definitely, but certainly not as bad either contract. We're not eating up two 13 year 7.538 M contracts with Luongo, just a single contract for dozen years (at the time) @ 5.33 M per.

So not only does Luongo have a lower cap hit, but Mike Gillis's argument that goalies tend perform better than players in other positions heading into old age actually seems quite plausible. I don't like Luongo's contract, but I can live with it as Luongo can be dealt fairly easily. With Parise and Suter, if I had those massive contracts on my team then I wouldn't be able to say the same.

Edited by Bieksa's Quote, 06 July 2012 - 11:33 PM.

Posted Image

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#252 InTo ThE WiLD

InTo ThE WiLD

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Definitely, but certainly not as bad either contract. We're not eating up two 13 year 7.538 M contracts with Luongo, just a single contract for dozen years (at the time) @ 5.33 M per.

So not only does Luongo have a lower cap hit, but Mike Gillis's argument that goalies tend perform better than players in other positions heading into old age actually seems quite plausible. I don't like Luongo's contract, but I can live with it as Luongo can be dealt fairly easily. With Parise and Suter, if I had those massive contracts on my team then I wouldn't be able to say the same.

lol that's funny cause you keep trash talking these contracts but it seems that alot of teams if not all were willing to sign these players at these amounts !

So apparently every team wants to get themselves in pretty big sh*t with stinky contracts ....

Seriously guys , these contracts are really not that bad, sure would have been better to sign them for like 8 years but you gotta negotiate, I mean if they had offered 8 years they prolly wouldn't have signed, and you all make a big deal of it, but soon the Wild will have some UFAs they prolly won't resign or sign for way less money, including , Backstrom, Heatley, Bouchard.

They would never have signed these contracts if they felt they could not handle them and still have to cap space. There are plenty of ways to clear to cap space.

If these deals were such a bad move why did every team want to sign them

Edited by InTo ThE WiLD, 07 July 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#253 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

There's not much point questioning Parise's cap hit, when the Wild have Heatley at 7.5 - he makes Parise's 7.6 a relative no-brainer.

I also find it kind of amusing that people think MG all of a sudden has to go out and do something big and dramatic (goldfish memory syndrome anyone?) to match these moves...

It is nice to see the Wild land these players however - rival or not, they are my favorite hockey market south of the border.

#254 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

I was really really hoping that Parise wouldn't go home. The NW division is going to be insane...
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#255 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,962 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

Parise/Suter presser about to begin. You can watch here ... http://video.wild.nh...=183765&lang=en

307mg00.jpg

#256 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

lol that's funny cause you keep trash talking these contracts but it seems that alot of teams if not all were willing to sign these players at these amounts !

So apparently every team wants to get themselves in pretty big sh*t with stinky contracts ....

Seriously guys , these contracts are really not that bad, sure would have been better to sign them for like 8 years but you gotta negotiate, I mean if they had offered 8 years they prolly wouldn't have signed, and you all make a big deal of it, but soon the Wild will have some UFAs they prolly won't resign or sign for way less money, including , Backstrom, Heatley, Bouchard.

They would never have signed these contracts if they felt they could not handle them and still have to cap space. There are plenty of ways to clear to cap space.

If these deals were such a bad move why did every team want to sign them

Popularity fallacy. Just because other people like to do something, doesn't justify it. To say that on the simple basis that everyone wanted to do something, that something is justified or reasonable - would be a flat out illogical line of reasoning. If everyone jumped off a bridge, but you were the first to do it, you win? OK, if that logic suits you be my guest.

Once again. Horrible contracts. Maybe not so bad in the short term, but the Wild most definitely will regret it eventually (assuming nothing drastically changes in terms of how cap structures are run - it's beyond me how that would work out but we'll see).

Posted Image

#257 lorentjd

lorentjd

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Once again. Horrible contracts. Maybe not so bad in the short term, but the Wild most definitely will regret it eventually....

Well, if the Wild win a Cup (or two) in the next five or six years, I don't think anyone in Minnesota will regret it, short- or long-term.

#258 InTo ThE WiLD

InTo ThE WiLD

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:38 AM

Well, if the Wild win a Cup (or two) in the next five or six years, I don't think anyone in Minnesota will regret it, short- or long-term.

Even if they don't win any cup, they still bring their experience to the team and the young prospects, they bring fame to the team, more TV viewers, they increase considerably our market and revenue, with jersey sales, better TV rights, season tickets sold , and are going to keep the Wild selling out every game for a very long time as well as getting the team in the playoffs on a more regular basis which also brings more revenue and playoffs experience !

They will also make the Wild more famous and might make it a big name in the NHL which will help to sign other players in the future as they will see the Wild as a better team with better image, and with a more competitive roster ...

I mean sure what we all want is to start building a cup winning team, and that was a huge step even though we miss a couple of other parts but even at worst if we happened not to win any cup in the next decade, nobody would regret these signings.

#259 InTo ThE WiLD

InTo ThE WiLD

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

Popularity fallacy. Just because other people like to do something, doesn't justify it. To say that on the simple basis that everyone wanted to do something, that something is justified or reasonable - would be a flat out illogical line of reasoning. If everyone jumped off a bridge, but you were the first to do it, you win? OK, if that logic suits you be my guest.

Once again. Horrible contracts. Maybe not so bad in the short term, but the Wild most definitely will regret it eventually (assuming nothing drastically changes in terms of how cap structures are run - it's beyond me how that would work out but we'll see).

yeah except we are not talking about idiots who all wanted to jump off a bridge...

nor were we talking about idiots who don't know anything about hockey or noobs at scouting and managing ...

According to you, you are the most knowledgeable person about hockey and Detroit Red wings staff who are experts about hockey and had their team get 21 straight playoff appearances and win 11 stanley cups are noobs who want to jump off a bridge ....

I'm sorry but I do believe any NHL team's staff is way more qualified than us to know what player to sign or not to sign and to what contract etc ...

As a matter of fact, almost every team in the NHL wanted to sign Suter and Parisé, including the Detroit Red wings who were very very active in trying to sign them and some teams offered more money than the Wild which means they were ready to pay bigger contracts for these 2 guys without hesitating one second.

I don't think the Wild will ever regret these as like I said up, even if at worst we did not win a cup in the next 13 years , at least they will bring :

- experience to the prospects and the entire organization

- playoffs experience on a more regular basis

- better entertainment for the fans

and let's be honest Hockey is a business and they will bring :

- huge revenue boost, through way more season tickets sold ( they are going to make the Wild sell out every game for a long time) , jersey sales, better TV rights, more TV viewers , playoffs appearance and therefore better revenue, better brand image for the Wild, bigger name in the NHL , more chances to sign other free agents or to convince other players to sign with the Wild through trades, basically huge huge boost to our market in general.

As a company I don't think you can regret any of that, we just got bigger and improved our market wether we win the cup or not , we just became a bigger company with bigger revenues !

#260 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

yeah except we are not talking about idiots who all wanted to jump off a bridge...

nor were we talking about idiots who don't know anything about hockey or noobs at scouting and managing ...

According to you, you are the most knowledgeable person about hockey and Detroit Red wings staff who are experts about hockey and had their team get 21 straight playoff appearances and win 11 stanley cups are noobs who want to jump off a bridge ....

I'm sorry but I do believe any NHL team's staff is way more qualified than us to know what player to sign or not to sign and to what contract etc ...

As a matter of fact, almost every team in the NHL wanted to sign Suter and Parisé, including the Detroit Red wings who were very very active in trying to sign them and some teams offered more money than the Wild which means they were ready to pay bigger contracts for these 2 guys without hesitating one second.

I don't think the Wild will ever regret these as like I said up, even if at worst we did not win a cup in the next 13 years , at least they will bring :

- experience to the prospects and the entire organization

- playoffs experience on a more regular basis

- better entertainment for the fans

and let's be honest Hockey is a business and they will bring :

- huge revenue boost, through way more season tickets sold ( they are going to make the Wild sell out every game for a long time) , jersey sales, better TV rights, more TV viewers , playoffs appearance and therefore better revenue, better brand image for the Wild, bigger name in the NHL , more chances to sign other free agents or to convince other players to sign with the Wild through trades, basically huge huge boost to our market in general.

As a company I don't think you can regret any of that, we just got bigger and improved our market wether we win the cup or not , we just became a bigger company with bigger revenues !

"According to you, you are the most knowledgeable person about hockey "

Straw person fallacy. Please don't put words in my mouth - I don't appreciate it. I'm not infallible myself and I'll be the first to admit it. I also readily point out obvious logical errors, as you've just noticed lol

In any event, my point stands. Just b/c the Detroit staff are knowledgeable doesn't make them immune from making potentially regrettable mistakes. GMs do it all the time. I think our GM (Gillis) has made some great strides - and yet I still feel that trading a total stud in young Cody Hodgson for Zach Kassian was a fairly bad move.

Bad decisions happen. If the Canucks did this, I would be very disappointed. I realize this is obviously a move that'd be more suited to Minny than to us, but even then you're just hallucinating if you think this is a good long term deal.

Edited by Bieksa's Quote, 10 July 2012 - 07:50 PM.

Posted Image

#261 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Next 1-2 years, fat chance. That leaves them with 3-4 years to salvage this deal. Anything beyond establishing that is pure speculation - whether they can, time will tell. Not much time, but I suppose for the Wild fans this is better than another fruitless off-season.

Posted Image

#262 #1MinnWildFan

#1MinnWildFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Next 1-2 years, fat chance. That leaves them with 3-4 years to salvage this deal. Anything beyond establishing that is pure speculation - whether they can, time will tell. Not much time, but I suppose for the Wild fans this is better than another fruitless off-season.

Wild's NHL odds jump after signing Parise, Suter

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=279996

#263 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Wild's NHL odds jump after signing Parise, Suter

http://www.covers.co...x?theArt=279996

I would hope their odds jumped, otherwise those would be some terrible signings.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.