The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NW division -- Now one of the toughest

Peejay

Minnesota did get more offense but still have a few holes on 'D' and in net. Even then, if they can stay healthy they will make the playoffs IMO.

People are still over-rating Edmonton. This team has not developed its players very well, and will continue to struggle. Hall is also a disaster on skates, that kid won't last much longer the way he plays, someone is going to kill him. Edmonton's 'D' is still incredibly suspect, even with Schultz. Plus Schultz is not only a rookie, but a rookie with a target on his back; he better be ready to take a lot of punishment.

Colorado will do ok, I don't know if they will make the playoffs but they will be close. I think they will finish third behind us and the Wild.

Calgary will just have to rally around the Stamps because the Flames are going to get mangled this year. Normally I would pity a team for being weak, but since it's Calgary, all I can say is they deserve the inevitable misery (Karma slapping the trolls on Calgary Puck).

It's pretty hard to tell how teams will do, but goaltending is always the best way to judge a team.

Calgary, Vancouver and Minnesota have world-class goaltending (Kipper, Luongo/Schneids and Backstrom/Harding). These goalies guarantee their team about 30 wins a season and are consistently good all season long.

Colorado has inconsistent goaltending with Giguere and Varlamov and no true starter.

Edmonton has shoddy goaltending with Dubynk, but glimpses of great goaltending with Khabibulin.

In terms of offensive depth, I'd say Colorado is the 2nd best and have a very underated top-9. Edmonton follows after them (great top-6 but not much depth), then Minnesota (good top-6 again but no depth) and finally Calgary.

In terms of defensive depth, all 4 other teams are quite weak but Minny is now 2nd best in the NW, then Calgary, then Edmonton and then Colorado (the latter 2 really lack a top pairing at all).

Guest Dasein

Those who are writing off the Suter + Parise signings and saying that Minnesota is not a powerhouse, you are forgetting the pieces already in place for Minnesota:

Mikko Koivu - Legit two-way #1 center

Devin Setoguchi - top 6 winger

Dany Heatley - top 6 winger

Mikael Granlund - expected to be #2 center and is NHL-ready

and now Parise - that is a very solid top 6. With Ryan Suter, they have their elite defenseman and the rest aren't too bad either with the recent acquisition of Gilbert at the deadline and the rise of Scandella.

Goaltending should be pretty solid with Backstrom and Harding.

Minnesota will definitely be in playoff contention and looking to finish in the top 4. They will be our hardest division rival.

I don't understand why people are so scared of the Minnesota Wild all of a sudden?

Did they get a lot better and fast, sure but if we put it in perspective, they now have a top line that can rival any top line in the NHL but this is basically where it ends.

Do people realize that the Wild have only $1.3 million in cap space left and they only have two top four defensemen currently signed?

The NW division is a LITTLE bit tougher. Edmonton is still going no where. Sorry Oiler fans. Minnesota acquired two pretty good players that will make them more competitive. Calgary is a floundering team, same with Colorado.

I'm not buying ''the NW division is now one of the toughest''. Go look at other divisions in the league.

Aren't we forgetting about some of the free agents still out there? We could possibly sign Doan.

That would greatly improve our chances of keeping our NW division title.

Archived