Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

NW division -- Now one of the toughest

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#61 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Parise and Suter are the "lipstick on the pig" in Minny. The Wild are better but they will still struggle mightily to make the playoffs. These signings do not make Minny a powerhouse.

I think you may be underestimating Minny somewhat. Their top six is now includes Parise, Heatley, Koivu, and Setoguchi. Granlund could very well make the team this year and Bouchard is a good player when healthy.

Their defense is a little thin after Suter and Gilbert but they did draft Dumba. They have a good goaltending tandem.

It's too early to call them a powerhouse but they have the makings of a pretty darn good team.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#62 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

The Wild certainly just got a lot better, but I don't see how Colorado, Edmonton, or Calgary did. At least not significantly.

People keep telling me that Edmonton is going to have this big, explosive breakout year because of all of their young talent. Problem is that they don't and probably won't, not enough experience on the team for the rookies to improve, their defense is a crapshoot and their goaltending is middle of the road at best. Once those Entry level contracts start running out, those players are going to jump ship like crazy, because they will be tired of being dead last in the league year after year.

#63 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

We been saying that since their last cup run of 04.

Wait, what? Edmoton's last run was in '06; Calgary's was in '04.

And people have been saying that the Oilers are going to get really good, really soon, for a while now. But they are, I mean, they've had three consecutive first overall draft picks, they're bound to be good.

#64 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

We been saying that since their last cup run of 04.

Wait, what? Edmoton's last run was in '06; Calgary's was in '04.

And people have been saying that the Oilers are going to get really good, really soon, for a while now. But they are, I mean, they've had three consecutive first overall draft picks, they're bound to be good.

#65 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Yes, the Northwest should be better than in recent years.
Minny will be good. They were a decent team to start last year before tanking. They just signed two lynch-pin type players.
Edmonton is bound to improve... I was sure they'd break out last year, now it is just getting ridiculous.
Calgary is moving sideways
Colorado is still pretty weak

Vancouver... I honestly don't know where our team will end up. Before the offseason moves began I figured Vancouver could end up anywhere between first in the Division and missing the playoffs. I figured a slightly less dominant Vancouver could pull a Florida and slide into that top Divisional spot.
With the changes being made it seems that first will be more hotly contested. We will still have to wait and see what happens with the Luongo saga to really get a feeling for what this team will look like.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#66 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Lol oh man, seeing all the posts on the Wild message boards saying how winning the NW division is going to be a breeze for them now....cannot wait for us to dominate them yet again. Parise and Suter aren't going to turn the Wild into champs over night.
Posted Image

#67 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

There was no chance that the teams in our division did anything other than close the gap on us. I don't think that the signings of Suter and Parise makes the Wild that much more dangerous. Instead, it made Nashville and NJ weaker. Suter benefited from playing with a perennial Norris level Dman in Weber. Parise was the captain and leader of NJ, now he takes the wheel behind their current captain and probably Heatley...

Calgary has done nothing, Colorado really nothing and Edmonton has a good young team coming but will not be able to pay all those first overall picks when it is said and done and they still cannot get a goaltender.

I don't know about that. I think Minny, while they won't win the division, is a lot better. Suter and Hamhuis, when in Nashville, were Trotz's go-to guys for defensive assignments. Shea is just the flashier dman (though I want him in Van sooo badly). Suter is also capable of making everyone around him that much better. I wouldn't be surprised to see Minny squeak in to a #7 or #8 spot and play Vancouver in round 1.

I think the NW next year goes like this:

1. Van
2. Minny
3. Colorado
4. Edmonton (no depth anywhere)
5. Calgary
Posted Image

#68 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,079 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

It's one of the toughest after the Canucks. The Wild just got a lot better but they didn't get 30 points in the standings better.

aXmDa9t.gif

#69 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

The Canucks should still win the division, but it'll come down to maybe the last month, and it won't be by much. I say at least 2 other NW teams make the playoffs.

Colorado really beefed up, not only will their young guns get better every year but they added Parenteau, Zanon and McClement.
Edmonton's young stars are only getting better as well, and they add 2 likely superstars in Yakupov and Schultz.
Calgary loses Jokinen but gains Hudler and Wideman so overall, they gain more offence and defensive depth and will be better.
Minnesota lose Latendresse and Lundin (didn't play much anyway) but gain Parise, Suter, Torrey Mitchell and Konopka. Wow.

Right now I see the division coming down to goaltending, because each team has considerable firepower up front now. Probably one of the most exciting divisions now.

Canucks
Colorado
Minnesota
Edmonton
Calgary
Posted Image

#70 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,859 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Minny's D is thinner than my uncle's hair.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#71 nlife

nlife

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

How tough it ends up being depends on how the re-alignment of the divisions goes. We may not see much of the wild next year
Posted Image

The Benchwarmers

-------
Raj: The only thing I've learned in the last two hours is that American men love drinking beer, pee too often, and have trouble getting erections.

Leonard: Focus on the game, not the commercials, Raj.

Raj: I'm just saying, maybe if you people cut back on the beer, you could get out of the bathroom and satisfy your women without pharmaceutical help.

#72 87Crosby

87Crosby

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

Watch Suter bust. :lol:

Cant wait and he goes to deteroit and minny gets ripped and the Canucks win the nw
But I'd rather be the 8 th seed because if we lose in the 1st 2 rounds 15th pick isnt bet
Posted Image

#73 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Minny's D is thinner than my uncle's hair.

Grass does'nt grow on busy highways. Enjoy your lifetime supply of thick hair.

#74 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

The Wild were fairly banged up last season....I expect that they will make the playoffs.Edmonton will be the most improved team this season..Tom Renney was a nagging coach (I think the players tuned him out pretty early on)...a new attitude will propel this team to the next level.You can only keep that amount of talent down for so long.

Calgary will finally tank and realise that they will have to rebuild...Colorado will be around the middle of the WC pack again,whilst the Canucks have neither gotten worse,or improved...just moved sideways

#75 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

It may be more difficult this year but I still see us grabbing 8+ points from Colorado and at least 6+ points from both Albertan teams. Those 20pts plus hopefully 6 from Minnesota and we are laughing as far as divisional play goes...

We had an incredible 18-5-1 record in the NW last season, I can't see the team falling too far from this record in the immediate future and I would predict somewhere in the area of 14-7-3 next season, I may be wrong but I still think for at least a season we will have the NW title.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#76 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

This is I think this will look like by the end of the 2012/2013 season

Northwest Division

1. Vancouver Canucks
2. Minnesota Wild
3. Edmonton Oilers
4. Colorado Avalanche
5. Calgary Flames

#77 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,729 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

Two players don't a powerhouse make. Even including the marginal step up by Edmonton.
Divisions don't go from worst to first with the addition of a couple players to the mix.

#78 erbiy74

erbiy74

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

idk...cuz the year before heatley and setoguchi went to the wild they were great players...look at them now..

#79 van19

van19

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

Personally I think Parise is a bit overrated. They'll definitely make them better but I think the NW title will still be pretty easily won.

Think it'll probably go like

1.Canucks
2.Wilds
3. Colorado
4. Calgary
5. Edmonton

Battle of Alberta for last place :lol:

Posted Image

#80 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

My Rankings:

1) Vancouver – Slightly better and younger D, same group of forwards just one year older. Still enough talent and overall depth to win the division comfortably.

2) Minnesota – non playoff team that got themselves some high priced talent to go along with their highly regarded prospects. Will likely make the playoffs.

3) Edmonton – We all know what is coming—4 forwards who will one day hit for PPG and beyond and a D man with high offensive potential—we just don’t know when. Still need a checking line, more experienced and better D, and goaltending, though Dubnyk may be the one. May make the playoffs as early as next year.

4) Calgary – I get what Feaster is doing—injecting skill—but he is sacrificing size and defensive acumen. In come Cervenka, Bartchi, Hudler, and Wideman. The first two are rookies and the second two are slow and defensively suspect. If Kipper gets hurt or falters they are a lottery team. Unlikely to make the playoffs.

5) Colorado – Have some talented forwards and very big D men (maybe the biggest D in the NHL). Alas, the same D men are quite limited skill wise. SOB is in their top 4, enough said. Unlikely to make the playoffs.

#81 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

Minnesota did get more offense but still have a few holes on 'D' and in net. Even then, if they can stay healthy they will make the playoffs IMO.

People are still over-rating Edmonton. This team has not developed its players very well, and will continue to struggle. Hall is also a disaster on skates, that kid won't last much longer the way he plays, someone is going to kill him. Edmonton's 'D' is still incredibly suspect, even with Schultz. Plus Schultz is not only a rookie, but a rookie with a target on his back; he better be ready to take a lot of punishment.

Colorado will do ok, I don't know if they will make the playoffs but they will be close. I think they will finish third behind us and the Wild.

Calgary will just have to rally around the Stamps because the Flames are going to get mangled this year. Normally I would pity a team for being weak, but since it's Calgary, all I can say is they deserve the inevitable misery (Karma slapping the trolls on Calgary Puck).
Posted Image

#82 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

It's pretty hard to tell how teams will do, but goaltending is always the best way to judge a team.

Calgary, Vancouver and Minnesota have world-class goaltending (Kipper, Luongo/Schneids and Backstrom/Harding). These goalies guarantee their team about 30 wins a season and are consistently good all season long.

Colorado has inconsistent goaltending with Giguere and Varlamov and no true starter.

Edmonton has shoddy goaltending with Dubynk, but glimpses of great goaltending with Khabibulin.

In terms of offensive depth, I'd say Colorado is the 2nd best and have a very underated top-9. Edmonton follows after them (great top-6 but not much depth), then Minnesota (good top-6 again but no depth) and finally Calgary.

In terms of defensive depth, all 4 other teams are quite weak but Minny is now 2nd best in the NW, then Calgary, then Edmonton and then Colorado (the latter 2 really lack a top pairing at all).
Posted Image

#83 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Those who are writing off the Suter + Parise signings and saying that Minnesota is not a powerhouse, you are forgetting the pieces already in place for Minnesota:

Mikko Koivu - Legit two-way #1 center
Devin Setoguchi - top 6 winger
Dany Heatley - top 6 winger
Mikael Granlund - expected to be #2 center and is NHL-ready

and now Parise - that is a very solid top 6. With Ryan Suter, they have their elite defenseman and the rest aren't too bad either with the recent acquisition of Gilbert at the deadline and the rise of Scandella.

Goaltending should be pretty solid with Backstrom and Harding.

Minnesota will definitely be in playoff contention and looking to finish in the top 4. They will be our hardest division rival.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#84 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,768 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

I don't understand why people are so scared of the Minnesota Wild all of a sudden?

Did they get a lot better and fast, sure but if we put it in perspective, they now have a top line that can rival any top line in the NHL but this is basically where it ends.

Do people realize that the Wild have only $1.3 million in cap space left and they only have two top four defensemen currently signed?

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#85 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

The NW division is a LITTLE bit tougher. Edmonton is still going no where. Sorry Oiler fans. Minnesota acquired two pretty good players that will make them more competitive. Calgary is a floundering team, same with Colorado.

I'm not buying ''the NW division is now one of the toughest''. Go look at other divisions in the league.
Posted Image

#86 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Aren't we forgetting about some of the free agents still out there? We could possibly sign Doan.

That would greatly improve our chances of keeping our NW division title.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.