Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Do you guys think we go hard after Weber now?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
155 replies to this topic

#31 {nhl}

{nhl}

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

With all these crazy contracts, doesn't Ballard look some what appealing now? I'm almost don't mind keeping him. I'd rather trade Booth and edler in a package to get Webber. We have Jensen who could possibly step up and play in the big leagues. Plus whatever we get out of this painfully long Luongo deal.

Ballard's contract doesn't look that bad now however his 2 seasons here have not been impressive at all. I wouldn't completely blame him either since the way AV handled his ice time was probably the largest factor in him under performing.

Also if we got weber, I think our top 4 on defence would be very solid and we should focus on getting more offence. Even though Booth had an OK season, his relationship with the team hasn't been as tainted as ballard's.
NOBODY BEATS WILLIE

"Give Willie Mitchell a tough assignment and he’ll
treat it like life and death." - Alain Vigneault

#32 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Filling second line centre is easier than filling elite #1D. We still have Luongo trade to help get a #2 Centre.

Kesler + Ballard/Edler + 1st/2nd for Weber

Problem is, he isn't signed, and he's not worth this trade if its only for 1 year.

#33 Peejay

Peejay

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Not even close. More on the lines of Kesler, Edler + 1st

Noooo .... way too much ! Nashville will take Kesler for Weber in a heartbeat ! Weber is a RFA who will not sign with Nashville and at the best case will demand what Suter got today from any team. Kesler is a Selke winner tied up to a 5.0M caphit contract (one of the best deals in league)

#34 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

I doubt MG goes for him this season. He even said he's expecting next years free agency to be much stronger than this year. I predict Weber will sign a one year deal with the Preds and test free agency next year and hopefully MG will convince him to a long term deal.
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#35 Italia2006

Italia2006

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'm curious, as much as I'd love him, why are people so inclined to thinking he'd want to play here? I mean, yeah he's from BC but that may not be enough of a reason for him to take a salary hit to play here..

Parise is from Minnesota. Guys like to play in their home cities. Hamhuis and Garrison did. They both could of signed for more money else where. I think Webber will be the same.

#36 Italia2006

Italia2006

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

Ballard's contract doesn't look that bad now however his 2 seasons here have not been impressive at all. I wouldn't completely blame him either since the way AV handled his ice time was probably the largest factor in him under performing.

Also if we got weber, I think our top 4 on defence would be very solid and we should focus on getting more offence. Even though Booth had an OK season, his relationship with the team hasn't been as tainted as ballard's.

I agree with you on both points. I also thought that when Ballard came back from his concussion, he was one of our better d guys.

#37 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Get Doan and Weber will follow next year.

#38 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Get Doan and Weber will follow next year.

I'd love to have Doan on the team for a couple years, but I don't picture him moving far from AZ.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#39 Linden53

Linden53

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Do we over pay a bit to get him now or do we wait and take a risk we can sign as a ufa?
I think Detroit and Philly will go hard after Webber but I do think he really wants to play here for a bit less.
I can't see Nashville losing another asset for nothing.

Are you serious in thinking he's even close to available? With Suter gone, Nashville is going to go hard and aggresive on Webber to keep him. There will be an extension signed there for a very long term. Now that the price has been set by Suter, Nashville will pony up the cash to keep Webber. They can't afford to lose him now.

#40 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,448 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Once again...

Who's the second line center when we move Kes?

Fill one hole only to create another.

There are more possible 2nd line centers in the NHL than Tough 1st pairing Dmen.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#41 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Are you serious in thinking he's even close to available? With Suter gone, Nashville is going to go hard and aggresive on Webber to keep him. There will be an extension signed there for a very long term. Now that the price has been set by Suter, Nashville will pony up the cash to keep Webber. They can't afford to lose him now.

Ignoring the laughable arbitration hearing, Nashville has been trying to throw money at Weber for years, but he's not biting. He'll get paid wherever he chooses to go, but he's holding out to ensure that wherever he lands he's going to get a shot at the cup. With Suter gone, their odds are diminished. They WILL try to throw the bank at him this year, but they'll need to consider moving him if he won't budge. That could be now, or February, or next years draft.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#42 Italia2006

Italia2006

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Do you remember last year? They tried to sign him to a long term deal and he won't. I don't think he wants to be there anymore. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Edited by Italia2006, 04 July 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#43 {nhl}

{nhl}

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

If a player doesn't want to play on a team anymore, he won't. With Nashville coming up short again and Suter gone, the direction of the team doesn't look good and I doubt Nashville would be able to keep him. Money is not a factor, Weber wants a cup and if he doesn't think Nashville can make a run, he won't stay
NOBODY BEATS WILLIE

"Give Willie Mitchell a tough assignment and he’ll
treat it like life and death." - Alain Vigneault

#44 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

I'd love to have Doan on the team for a couple years, but I don't picture him moving far from AZ.

If you could get Doan and with Garrison taking a homer discount it might make it more desirable for a guy like Weber to come to the Canucks. 2 former captains of that nature would change the personality and dynamics of this team. No more diving and Bull..it just bigtime grit. How stacked would this team be.

#45 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,630 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Once again...

Whoever plays in his place at the start of the season.

or

Make another trade.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 Canouver

Canouver

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Not a chance we wil get Weber now. Nashville will offer him 10 mil a season if they have too.

#47 Kerry Park Islanders

Kerry Park Islanders

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'm curious, as much as I'd love him, why are people so inclined to thinking he'd want to play here? I mean, yeah he's from BC but that may not be enough of a reason for him to take a salary hit to play here..

I think he may be intrested in Van. He probabley grew up a nucks fan. I'm sure he would love to have friends and family closer, and maybe able to watch more of his games, and most important he's a good Canadian kid, who might wanna play in Canada. Players are treated like Gods here.

#48 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

It would take the same to get Crosby out of pit

you people are crazy if you think Nash will give up Weber to a rival club.

Why even get your hopes up?
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#49 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Not a chance we wil get Weber now. Nashville will offer him 10 mil a season if they have too.

Doesn't matter. If Weber were holding out for money they'd have been able to lock him up prior to last year's draft.

If you could get Doan and with Garrison taking a homer discount it might make it more desirable for a guy like Weber to come to the Canucks. 2 former captains of that nature would change the personality and dynamics of this team. No more diving and Bull..it just bigtime grit. How stacked would this team be.

Oh yeah. Don't get me wrong. Doan is just what the doctor ordered. I just don't see him signing anywhere north of the border aside from a longshot in the 'Peg.

#50 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,448 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hamhuis/Garrison were offered more money, they weren't forced to accept.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#51 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

It would take the same to get Crosby out of pit

you people are crazy if you think Nash will give up Weber to a rival club.

Why even get your hopes up?

You think whether or not he leaves is within their control?

If he's not willing to extend with them then all they control is when and how he leaves. In a trade, now, or as a UFA, next summer. Nobody doubts that they would FAR prefer to lock him up, but it's not like they haven't been trying and they've yet to succeed.

And don't forget the elephant in the room - we've got all of our picks and could tender him an offer sheet which would completely screw over Nashville.

Edited by suolucidir, 04 July 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#52 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

If we get him Nashville will fall apart.

canucks141.png

#53 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Off-topic, am I the only one who thinks Garrison and Bieksa would be a great pairing? :D

I think their styles of play complement eachother a lot. Both hit and can play a very effective two-way game

Edler and Hamhuis could work out well too :)
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#54 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,630 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

Off-topic, am I the only one who thinks Garrison and Bieksa would be a great pairing? :D

I think their styles of play complement eachother a lot. Both hit and can play a very effective two-way game

Edler and Hamhuis could work out well too :)

That's certainly something I'd like to see tried.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

1 yr offer sheet, Weber signs, and Weber is UFA next season
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#56 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

1 yr offer sheet, Weber signs, and Weber is UFA next season

And Nashville is completely screwed in the process. Burns some bridges, but would get the job done.

#57 bleednucksblue

bleednucksblue

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

That's certainly something I'd like to see tried.

No.

Edler can't play the right side while Garrison can.

You will always be on our mind and in our heart. RIP Luc!

John Garrett after a brutal pass by Olli Jokinen:

"Jokinen makes a pass 8 feet behind anybody, to no-one. That's Calgary's first line, unfortunately for them."

#58 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Once again...

Agree, even if Weber would bring a lot to this team, we would probably be a worse team if we lost Kesler. I mean look at our defence: Edler,Garrison,Bieksa,Hamhuis and some other pretty solid defencemen. That's pretty good. If i could choose any player to come to the Canucks, i would choose Weber. But if it means it would cost us Kesler, i wouldn't do it. If we actually still had Hodgson, it would have made sense to trade either Kesler or Hodgson along with perhaps Edler. But we really need that talent that Kesler brings to our 2nd line. We have absolutely no center with top6 quality right now to fill that hole with.

#59 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

You think whether or not he leaves is within their control?

If he's not willing to extend with them then all they control is when and how he leaves. In a trade, now, or as a UFA, next summer. Nobody doubts that they would FAR prefer to lock him up, but it's not like they haven't been trying and they've yet to succeed.

And don't forget the elephant in the room - we've got all of our picks and could tender him an offer sheet which would completely screw over Nashville.

At this point I am sure that Nashville would welcome an offer sheet. If Weber signed it they would at least get some pics back. As it sits if he waits until next spring he is a UFA and they get nothing. As you suggested Poile has been trying to extend Suter for well over a year. If Weber had extended then Suter might have re-signed as well. It is a disaster in Nashville this morning.

Another issue faced by Nashville is that any team who wants him will want an extension as part of the deal. Weber has a veto on any deal simply by refusing to extend. Not only can the Preds lose their top gun but they might not get a lot for him. How do they create a market for him if he won't extend. IMHO it will be very easy for Van to determine whether he wants to come home or not. Offer Poile a deal and see if Weber wants to explore an extension or not. If not then it isn't likely he is interested. It doesn't have to be about the money. He will have lot's of offers. If Minny can build a team USA then Van should build a Team Canada starting with the d-core! By the way those Vikings playing for the Canucks have been here long enough to get passports!

Edited by Boudrias, 04 July 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#60 the boards

the boards

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

With Garrison signed, and a pretty strong D by committee, MG is (hopefully) looking for a top-6 offensive-minded forward.
We're really going to see someone like Semin (shudder) or Doan. Not necessarily them, of course.

Also, the one place the grammar police are spot on the money is player's names. You have to spell it at least once in your post.
Am I right? 'Nuff said, then.

Weber

WEBER

WEBER HAS 1 B

Webber-Edler
Juice-Hammer
Garrison-Ballard

Is that how it would look? cus it looks mighty ******* awesome.

I'd put Hamhuis with Webber and put Bieksa and Garrison together.

Parise is from Minnesota. Guys like to play in their home cities. Hamhuis and Garrison did. They both could of signed for more money else where. I think Webber will be the same.

Weber!!!!!

Edited by the boards, 04 July 2012 - 11:51 AM.

Of the dwarves, little is said.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.