Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Do you guys think we go hard after Weber now?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#121 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

<p>
You'd give up four 1st round draft picks with "hopefully" as your long term plan?

There's more than just hope. You really think that Weber wouldn't want to extend with his home province's club that's clear objective is to win the Stanley Cup?

If it were purely a money issue he'd already be locked up in Nashville for life.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#122 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

There's more than just hope. You really think that Weber wouldn't want to extend with his home province's club that's clear objective is to win the Stanley Cup?

If it were purely a money issue he'd already be locked up in Nashville for life.

I have no idea what Weber wants. But then neither do you. You're simply making the usual cdc assumption. Just like Sakic, Kariya and Neids all wanted to come home. You have no idea that Weber even wants to play in Canada, let alone Vancouver.
Posted Image

#123 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

I have no idea what Weber wants. But then neither do you. You're simply making the usual cdc assumption. Just like Sakic, Kariya and Neids all wanted to come home. You have no idea that Weber even wants to play in Canada, let alone Vancouver.

I agree that we do not have any idea what Weber wants. But we can speculate if we choose. I see Hamhuis and Garrison go down this road so its not out of the question for Weber to also go down it.

Also , many of our core players are roughly Webers age. Kesler, Schneider, are core playes Webers age. Others include Booth, Raymond and Hansen. Edler as well.

Sedins are older but the rest of the core seems tailor made to Shea Weber. I would say from a speculation point of view, hes a good fit here.
Posted Image

#124 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,678 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

If we to overpay a lot then it's a good not to go after. But we should at least make a push. We can still improve our D, if in case there's an injury.
Posted Image

#125 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Well, now that Salo left his number 6 is available

:bigblush:
Posted Image

#126 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm not saying he "wants to come here." I'm not saying that he'd take a pay cut to play here like Garrison, or shoot down offers from teams who traded for his rights like Hamhuis did so that he could play here. All I'm saying that we, as a franchise offer pretty much anything he could want except anonymity. He's stated that he wants to play for a contender, which we are. Should we be able to acquire his rights I figure we'd have good reason to expect him to accept a fair offer. I assume we'd ask him to take a pay cut, but I don't think the internal cap would apply to him.

Edited by suolucidir, 05 July 2012 - 12:00 PM.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#127 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

I think we go after him now. Shultz wanted to play here, and look how that turned out. If we wait till free agency, other teams will vastly overpay for him and influence him to sway his decision in some manner. I think he wants to play here cause I'm pretty sure his family is in BC.
Posted Image

#128 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

What team do you manage? Oh wait you don't. So shut the f*** up.

Wow strong words considering your proposal being mocked by a few people LOL...from what i recall, you dont manage a team either ..whats your point? I'd like to see you try telling me to shut up tough guy..or you still not done crying because your precious Azzuri got their "Azzes" kicked and embaressed by Spain.

#129 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

$8 mill is big coin. Kind of scary. I was thinking around the 7 range. I would think it would be around Suter money.

Well last summer the hockey analysts were saying he'd get around $9m per on the open market. And the cap has gone up.
Posted Image

#130 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

CDC never knows what a fair cap hit is. To be fair, we're rather spoiled as we've seen a lot of discounted contracts around here. 8m seems likely, and would be considered a discount off of what he could fetch in a bidding war.

#131 Italia2006

Italia2006

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

Wow strong words considering your proposal being mocked by a few people LOL...from what i recall, you dont manage a team either ..whats your point? I'd like to see you try telling me to shut up tough guy..or you still not done crying because your precious Azzuri got their "Azzes" kicked and embaressed by Spain.

The difference between you and him is he's calling me a morron and you're not. You're knocking my soccer team and that's fine. You're not taking a personal shot at me.

#132 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Weber's home city is NOT Vancouver. According to Google maps, Sicamous is actually slightly closer to Calgary than it is to Vancouver.

It's still in BC idiot...Both Garrison and Hamhuis' hometown aren't VAN but look where they are now.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#133 Robongo

Robongo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

I think Weber comes next year in all honesty. It's pretty obvious he has a team or teams in mind not including the predators. If the Preds were going to keep him he would of signed a long term deal last year. My prediction is he signs another 1 year deal with the preds, or someone offer sheets him , preds match and then he comes home next year. :towel:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks R.Luongo. for the sig!=)

#134 Glov10

Glov10

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

I would hate to see what the bidding war will be like if he makes it to FA next year. Teams will throw "Crosby" money at him.

#135 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

As much as I would like to see Weber, I am not sure we can pull it off without losing to much.
They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#136 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Well last summer the hockey analysts were saying he'd get around $9m per on the open market. And the cap has gone up.

One thing Gillis has done is convince players to sign for less to play here especialy dmen. Can he get a guy like Weber to buy into it i hope so but thats a big if.

#137 kurtis

kurtis

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

We could really use him, but I'll be shocked if it actually happens.
Posted Image

#138 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

<p>
You'd give up four 1st round draft picks with "hopefully" as your long term plan?

Sounds bad, but I would. GMMG's drafting really hasn't gotten us any concrete results. Plus, we'll end up with #25+ picks every year if we stay the same.
Posted Image

#139 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

It's still in BC idiot...Both Garrison and Hamhuis' hometown aren't VAN but look where they are now.

I dont know if Weber is a fan but there are lots of hockey fans in the interior who despise the Canucks. His comment was fair and you don't need to call him an idiot for observing that its inbetween Calgary and Vancouver. I'd love to have Weber and I'd like nothing more than to get him for free for a slight discount but Baggins is right, we don't know what he wants. I'm just worried that given the sideshow/ mockery July 1st is starting to become with all these presentations and phone calls and outrageously long term big money contracts that are going around that we may be better off trading for his rights. Whats wrong with trading for him and offering the guy a 5 year 8 million dollar offer. Yea he'll be crazy expensive, but Poile is starting to realize that he can't afford to let Weber walk for free and the longer he waits to deal him the lower his value will be.
Posted Image

#140 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Talk to Nashville and suggest that we'll give them Edler plus a prospect and two first's along with a second. The Canucks will not be picking picking in the top end of the draft for atleast two more season's so it's not much of a loss losing those picks. Edler is less of a downgrade then most D-men Nashville might receive in a trade for Weber. Throw in the second and a prospect and that makes it a five part deal for Nashville. Other then Philly with all those young assets, I don't see many teams offering much better in a trade then this. I really really hope Gillis is trying to pry Weber out of Nashville.
:towel:

#141 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

In my opinion I think we have the best package of young and proven players to offer to Nashville to get this deal done.
I believe it would take

Vancouver
Ballard
Schroeder
1st round pick

Nashville
Weber

Don't worry guy, I would do this trade...
if I were Mike Gillis... :bigblush:
Posted Image

#142 Phil Kessler

Phil Kessler

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hockey Insider ‏@HockeyInsider_

got a text from a source that 3 teams #Canucks #Flyers #Redwings are all thinking about preparing an offer sheet for #Predators Shea Weber.

https://twitter.com/HockeyInsider_/status/221027549965336576
Not sure If legit.

#143 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

If Poile and Gillis were in trade talks with eachother, i'm sure Poile would want Kesler
as the center piece for any trade with us...

Kesler + Tanev
for
Weber

Posted Image

#144 BCRenegade

BCRenegade

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

How do we go after somebody hard when they just lost their first line D, second best D on the roster and not pay through the tooth to get him. Nash will counter all offer sheets for sure, and ask a fortune for RFA rights. Yes i would love another local boy, but at what price? I for sure would sell the farm for this guy as long as it didn't include Gaunce, Jensen, and Kassian

Edited by BCRenegade, 05 July 2012 - 10:33 PM.

Sig too big. 

#145 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

Yes, we do need Weber on our team. We are ready to win now. In my opinion, tomorrow doesn't matter if it never get's here. Well, it's here. Throw the house at him and see what happens.

#146 Italia2006

Italia2006

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

How do offer sheets work? We put an offer in Nashville can match it. What if there is more than one team? Weber can choose who's offer he takes? So he could take less to come to vancouver still?

#147 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:12 AM

How do offer sheets work? We put an offer in Nashville can match it. What if there is more than one team? Weber can choose who's offer he takes? So he could take less to come to vancouver still?

https://twitter.com/...027549965336576
Not sure If legit.

Even if it is legit, Offer Sheets are VERY risky for both sides and I think its a bad idea heres why

- If the Canucks do the 1 year offer sheet on Weber (the idea that was given if Schneider was an RFA), he still becomes a UFA next year. Weber is probably going to get 7 plus million so as compensation, we gotta pony up multiple 1st round picks and then some. Nowadays when an elite player just like Weber is going to be UFA soon, most likely they would want to test the market. MG knows this line of thinking, the same thing happened with Dan Hamhuis. His rights were traded I think it was twice? and he didn't sign long term contracts offering more money. Why? Put it this way, you've waited this long to be a free agent, why limit your choices right?

IF he does come here, lets say does that sign that one year deal...what then? Our chances are good that we'll be able to make a stanley cup appearance, but what he we don't? What if he doesn't want to sign long term? Thats the balancing act,,because if Weber bolts to another team next year after one year with us, our prospect pipeline will be affected greatly with the forfieted picks in the coming years

- If he does get a long term offersheet (see Thomas Vanek) from the Canucks, and the Preds match..Weber will be stuck in Nashville and now the ball isn't in his court to get moved and field offers.

#148 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

Why is everyone having wet dreams about this guy, who has never gotten his team past the second round. OVERRATED.

#149 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

Why is everyone having wet dreams about this guy, who has never gotten his team past the second round. OVERRATED.

You really don't watch much hockey, do you?

Edited by Mr Soprano, 08 July 2012 - 04:50 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#150 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

You really don't watch much hockey, do you?

Yeah, his team choked against a coyote team who subsequently got blown out by LA. A team who was favored to win it all. CHOKER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.