The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With all these crazy signings, what is Ballard worth now?

Italia2006

Ballard is worth what he is paid.

Depending on what Gillis can get for Luongo if he indeed is being traded I'd like to see Ballard back next season.

We have over 5 mil in cap space left...nearly 11 mil if Luongo is traded.

I'd love to see Clowe on this team...I think however SJ is probably going to stick with Niemi.

I like Ballard...he's just got to settle down and play like he did in Phoenix rather than how he started to play in Florida.

To me, Ballard should be making around $3.5 million per year. He's overpaid by about $700k but in the grand scheme there are worst things to over pay for and we aren't really overpaying by a whole lot. Ballard's contract is still higher than his performance dictates but in a few years I don't think it will overly matter. I think Ballard is still an attractive player to a team like Detroit who could easily afford to take on his contract given their need for defensemen.

If he can play like he did in Florida, he's worth holding onto.

But now, and even at the deadline, he won't fetch much in return cuz of how much he has struggled over the past couple of years.

I'd still hold on to him and give him the kinda role he's good at playing, and the minutes.

I still think since Day 1 Ballard is a top 4 defenseman in the NHL and would be a top pair on other teams. The guy can skate like the wind. To me he just seems like a workhorse d-man that can play a lot of minutes and tough minutes in playoffs.

From Day 1 I thought him and Hamhuis would be our shutdown top minute eating pair. I was so wrong. Ballard still has not had a fair chance. If it were me, I would slot him with Garrison as the 2nd pair. They would be a real offensive threat and tough pair.

BALLARD IS NOT WORTH 4.2 MILLIONS DOLLARS. What is wrong with you homers. 4.2 could go a long way in helping out our 2nd line. We don't need a 6th dman making that much money when he's putting up 6 pts a season and when our coach seems to have no faith in his defensive abilities. No team is gonna pick him up at that price when guys like Salvador and Bryan Allen went for cheaper on the open market. Give your head a shake. Maybe Minny woulda considered taking him off our hands cause of the whole hometown thing had they lost out on Suter but I don't see that happening. At best maybe the leafs would trade komiserek or something for him. I would do that.

Archived