The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With all these crazy signings, what is Ballard worth now?

Italia2006

Ballard is worth what he is paid.

Depending on what Gillis can get for Luongo if he indeed is being traded I'd like to see Ballard back next season.

We have over 5 mil in cap space left...nearly 11 mil if Luongo is traded.

I'd love to see Clowe on this team...I think however SJ is probably going to stick with Niemi.

I like Ballard...he's just got to settle down and play like he did in Phoenix rather than how he started to play in Florida.

I still think since Day 1 Ballard is a top 4 defenseman in the NHL and would be a top pair on other teams. The guy can skate like the wind. To me he just seems like a workhorse d-man that can play a lot of minutes and tough minutes in playoffs.

From Day 1 I thought him and Hamhuis would be our shutdown top minute eating pair. I was so wrong. Ballard still has not had a fair chance. If it were me, I would slot him with Garrison as the 2nd pair. They would be a real offensive threat and tough pair.

Homers? What does this have to do with hometown bias? Most of the fanbase hated him for the longest time and wanted him dumped off the team. Now we think he is worth the shot. That is not a hometown hero bias. The cap went up considerably and his caphit is no longer the same concern. Also, he played well for most of last season (at times was a standout on the third pairing), and AV now trusts him. Anyone we trade for has the risk of going through the same terrible first year and needs to gain the trust of the coach. Plus he's not as bad as he's made out to be, he just underachieved that first season, and spent the second season working his way back into the good books (until the injury).

I am not saying a trade would be completely unquestionable, as he is our most expendable Dman, but I don't see a reason to trade him, as our blue line looks pretty solid at the moment. The only upgrade would be a big, crease clearer number 6 like a Allen or Mitchell (not that they are available, just examples) on Tanev. (Although Tanev is fine!)

Interesting thought! Ballard for???

And maybe worth exploring a trade? (We do have at least one spare left side D...)

Filppula anyone(he's UFA next year, great rental)? Abdelkader and a 2knd...

Geez Flipper would look good here! And we would have no Ballard plus HEAPS of cap space when Weber hits the market! NBA style managing!

Would a team like Detroit want him? He'd fit in perfect there. I almost think at 4 million dollars he's kind of a bargain now.

Wow, you are completely delusional. You're seeing what you want to see, instead of what is.

He's not at all worth what he's paid. Is a 6th/7th defenceman worth $4.2M, on your planet? Don't tell me that he "looked great" in the playoffs, either. The team played 5 games, and, really, nobody not named Schneider stood out.

And do you really think that a 30 year-old defenceman will just suddenly decide/realize that he needs to "calm down" and "play like did on bottom-feeding Phoenix & Florida"? Get serious.

Detroit will push hard for Kubina or Carle, but they still lost Stuart and Ballard would fill that hole nicely.

As much as we'd love something in return, a cap dump to Detroit makes sense for us if it means we can sign a guy like Semin, Doan, Carle or Kubina ourselves.

Wow, you are completely delusional. You're seeing what you want to see, instead of what is.

He's not at all worth what he's paid. Is a 6th/7th defenceman worth $4.2M, on your planet? Don't tell me that he "looked great" in the playoffs, either. The team played 5 games, and, really, nobody not named Schneider stood out.

And do you really think that a 30 year-old defenceman will just suddenly decide/realize that he needs to "calm down" and "play like did on bottom-feeding Phoenix & Florida"? Get serious.

I'm not sure why Wideman's deal is getting such a bad rap. It's a lot better than Garrison's, IMO, at least from a risk:reward standpoint. Wideman is a very proven commodity. He's got almost 300 career NHL points, and he's all of 1 year older than Garrison.

Not my favourite player, by any stretch, but the trash talk that his contract's getting is not warranted, IMO. He's at least been consistent, with 3 of his past 4 seasons in the NHL being > 40 points.

Yeah and that's not quite the same situation is it? I'm talking about a minor thing that's happened over a few years not a complete turnaround in a players game like with Theodore and say someone like Raycroft. We could also find examples of players who get their game back all the time.

Archived