60 replies to this topic

#1 magoomba

magoomba

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

Regardless of whether or not you guys agree with all the crazy salaries out there (Wideman, Suter, Price, Parise), I can't help but think many of the Canucks players may be starting to feel like they're leaving a lot of money on the table to stay with the organization in hopes of winning a cup.

Gillis mentions multiple times that players are taking a lower salary so that the club can have enough money to add talented pieces in order to win the Cup.
But there are no guarantees in sports and they don't win the Cup in the next year or two, players will start thinking it's better to go free agency and make crazy money.

It's probably safe to say Sedins can get more than $7M each on the open market.

#2 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

POPULAR

And uproot their whole families, and go to a team that doesn't have as much success in the last 5 years as the Canucks?

#3 Thirteen

Thirteen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

What if they win the cup?

Posted ImageWooooooooooooooooooooooo!Posted Image

Posted Image
Favorites: Sir. KesLord , Kaner, Stammer, Toes & Pavelski

#4 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

POPULAR

The Sedins are Canucks for life, and I for one am proud of it. They are great players and contribute SOOO much to the community. There is no way they leave through trade,let alone free-agency.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#5 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,411 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

29 teams every year have this potential problem every year, yet a lot of them manage to retain their players.

As long as the team remains ultra-competitive, then what's the issue?

TOML
Posted Image

#6 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

I agree, bring back the minus.

#7 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Wasn't it Garrison that just wanted to come here?

#8 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Not. Worthy. Of. Response.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#9 magoomba

magoomba

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

29 teams every year have this potential problem every year, yet a lot of them manage to retain their players.

As long as the team remains ultra-competitive, then what's the issue?

TOML

How many teams have more underpaid players than the Canucks?
I know money isn't everything but when you're looking at Burrows making $2M in today's NHL, that's really bad.

#10 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

The Canucks (and the players) have a 1 in 30 chance to win the cup. It's a team game, and everyone has to perform. If they all perform results will come. If they really want the cup, they will get their chance at it again. It's down to the team. If players don't like what they see for the future fine, let them go. They may be able to find the big money but atm Canucks chances at the cup have been pretty decent in the past few years. I mean for the past 3 years i really believed Canucks had the team and depth to go for it. We had/have a potential cup contender still, and if players want to leave that sort of team for the sake of money than quite frankly I don't want them here.

A NHL player's dream is win the Stanley Cup, well they can't do that if they are greedy and ask/demand more money.
Posted Image

#11 magoomba

magoomba

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

C'mon, you guys all say every team has a 1 out of 30 chance to win. Each team is not the same.
If that was the case, Vegas wouldn't be putting out different odds for different teams.

#12 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

First of all, the players are under contract so they can't just leave when they feel like it. Also, they can control part of their destiny. If they want to win the Cup, they have to make it happen themselves.

#13 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

A lot of players just love Vancouver and the Canucks in general.
Players like Burr, the Sedins, Hamhuis, and obviously Garrison would still be willing to stay.
Posted Image

#14 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

The Canucks (and the players) have a 1 in 30 chance to win the cup. It's a team game, and everyone has to perform. If they all perform results will come. If they really want the cup, they will get their chance at it again. It's down to the team. If players don't like what they see for the future fine, let them go. They may be able to find the big money but atm Canucks chances at the cup have been pretty decent in the past few years. I mean for the past 3 years i really believed Canucks had the team and depth to go for it. We had/have a potential cup contender still, and if players want to leave that sort of team for the sake of money than quite frankly I don't want them here.

A NHL player's dream is win the Stanley Cup, well they can't do that if they are greedy and ask/demand more money.

If the Islanders win a cup I will go to work naked for a week.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#15 the boards

the boards

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Not. Worthy. Of. Response.

...D'oh!

You don't see us fans leaving, do you? We get paid even less than the players.
Of the dwarves, little is said.

#16 Walkin'2929

Walkin'2929

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

If that is a real issue, and a player really does feel like they are getting the wrong end of the hockey stick, and they can prove their worth, I'm sure MG will sit down with them and seriously consider a request to review their salary. That being said, if money is the only object and a player is determined to move on, I'm sure they know where the exit door is.

#17 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Windows are for jumping out of.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#18 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

And uproot their whole families, and go to a team that doesn't have as much success in the last 5 years as the Canucks?

Like Samuelsson,Luongo and Salo?

#19 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

I doubt the Sedins are going anywhere. They've made a lot of money playing here, they have raised their kids here and they have said they would like to leave the NHL as members of the Canucks and play in Sweden before they retire. If they wanted more money, they wouldn't be considering playing in Sweden.

I think Burrows is the most likely key player to leave. He can probably cash in with a long term $4 million-per-season deal after this year, if he wants.

#20 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

who will leave?.... Sedins want to stay Canucks and I don't see them making more than what they make now, only guy who might leave us is Edler and maybe Hansen, all our stars want to be here. I hope we can develop a core like this in our prospect who played together,became good friends and staying together means more than making as much as they can.

#21 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Like Samuelsson,Luongo and Salo?

Samuelsson was traded and didn't have a choice and Luongo has yet to be traded (though he doesn't have much choice, either, with the fans and media constantly bashing him). Salo is a good example, though, of a player leaving to get the money and ice time he deserves over the chance to win a Stanley Cup.

#22 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

How many teams have more underpaid players than the Canucks?
I know money isn't everything but when you're looking at Burrows making $2M in today's NHL, that's really bad.

Gillis has to put it together faster or he will have a salary revolt on his hands.
Offering Sundin $20 million.
Sturm-$2.25 million signing by MG.
Reinprecht-$2.175 in the AHL or NHL.
Booth (two head injuries and one 30 goal campaign) being paid $4.5 million per has to hit a guy like Burr.Heart n soul Canuck batting in 26-35 goals per year for $2 million.

#23 MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

I think our team is consistent enough to retain it's players..only negative thing is how the media portays our team

#24 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

I doubt the Sedins are going anywhere. They've made a lot of money playing here, they have raised their kids here and they have said they would like to leave the NHL as members of the Canucks and play in Sweden before they retire.

I thought you were talking about Salo-raised his kids here,ten year Canuck.Wanted a small raise in pay to wind up his career.
Should have retired a Canuck.

#25 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Samuelsson was traded and didn't have a choice and Luongo has yet to be traded (though he doesn't have much choice, either, with the fans and media constantly bashing him). Salo is a good example, though, of a player leaving to get the money and ice time he deserves over the chance to win a Stanley Cup.

The point is all three have had to uproot their families instead of being given the chance to continue playing in Vancouver.

#26 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

What's important is that management has established quite the competitive winning culture in Vancouver, so much so that the core won't leave unless MG admits it's time for a rebuild, and that won't be for a long time... even if they falter, they could just trade some overpriced peripheral contracts, sign good young players and keep restocking the core, or if that doesn't work, if Gaunce, Jensen, Rodin, Kassian, Schroeder, Connauton, Corrado, etc. make the team in the near future they can replenish the squad easily. Even if it IS time to blow up the core I'd think that in the near future the team could still pull out a Philly replenishing.

We have our starter (Cory OR Lu), the Top 4 on D is set for at least the next 3 seasons (excluding Edler at the moment, Hammer, Bieksa and Garrison, plus Ballard are signed); the Twins'll be here for at least two more seasons, Kes and Booth for several more as well; if Burr, Higgins, Lapierre and Edler get three-year extensions they can keep rolling and just add more skilled size alongside them.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#27 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

I wouldn't mind if the Canucks gave the Sedins a nice raise. They deserve it. Same with Burrows.
Posted Image

#28 iinteenseee

iinteenseee

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

Given Kesler's competitive nature and desire to win a cup, I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves to Detroit or some American team to win a cup.. obviously not for a couple of years though.

#29 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

o yea because there is such a different lifestyle in making 4mil a year and making 6mil a year.

#30 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

What's important is that management has established quite the competitive winning culture in Vancouver, so much so that the core won't leave unless MG admits it's time for a rebuild, and that won't be for a long time... even if they falter, they could just trade some overpriced peripheral contracts, sign good young players and keep restocking the core, or if that doesn't work, if Gaunce, Jensen, Rodin, Kassian, Schroeder, Connauton, Corrado, etc. make the team in the near future they can replenish the squad easily. Even if it IS time to blow up the core I'd think that in the near future the team could still pull out a Philly replenishing.

We have our starter (Cory OR Lu), the Top 4 on D is set for at least the next 3 seasons (excluding Edler at the moment, Hammer, Bieksa and Garrison, plus Ballard are signed); the Twins'll be here for at least two more seasons, Kes and Booth for several more as well; if Burr, Higgins, Lapierre and Edler get three-year extensions they can keep rolling and just add more skilled size alongside them.

Granted, those prospects will be pretty good, but they won't be superstars like the Sedins or Ryan Kesler. The Canucks have to find a way to get blue chip prospects coming through the system that will be able to make a big impact on those 1st lines or 1st D pairings. Trading Luongo for one would be a good start.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.