The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Players leaving if Canucks don't win the Cup soon

magoomba

Regardless of whether or not you guys agree with all the crazy salaries out there (Wideman, Suter, Price, Parise), I can't help but think many of the Canucks players may be starting to feel like they're leaving a lot of money on the table to stay with the organization in hopes of winning a cup.

Gillis mentions multiple times that players are taking a lower salary so that the club can have enough money to add talented pieces in order to win the Cup.

But there are no guarantees in sports and they don't win the Cup in the next year or two, players will start thinking it's better to go free agency and make crazy money.

It's probably safe to say Sedins can get more than $7M each on the open market.

The Canucks (and the players) have a 1 in 30 chance to win the cup. It's a team game, and everyone has to perform. If they all perform results will come. If they really want the cup, they will get their chance at it again. It's down to the team. If players don't like what they see for the future fine, let them go. They may be able to find the big money but atm Canucks chances at the cup have been pretty decent in the past few years. I mean for the past 3 years i really believed Canucks had the team and depth to go for it. We had/have a potential cup contender still, and if players want to leave that sort of team for the sake of money than quite frankly I don't want them here.

A NHL player's dream is win the Stanley Cup, well they can't do that if they are greedy and ask/demand more money.

First of all, the players are under contract so they can't just leave when they feel like it. Also, they can control part of their destiny. If they want to win the Cup, they have to make it happen themselves.

The Canucks (and the players) have a 1 in 30 chance to win the cup. It's a team game, and everyone has to perform. If they all perform results will come. If they really want the cup, they will get their chance at it again. It's down to the team. If players don't like what they see for the future fine, let them go. They may be able to find the big money but atm Canucks chances at the cup have been pretty decent in the past few years. I mean for the past 3 years i really believed Canucks had the team and depth to go for it. We had/have a potential cup contender still, and if players want to leave that sort of team for the sake of money than quite frankly I don't want them here.

A NHL player's dream is win the Stanley Cup, well they can't do that if they are greedy and ask/demand more money.

If that is a real issue, and a player really does feel like they are getting the wrong end of the hockey stick, and they can prove their worth, I'm sure MG will sit down with them and seriously consider a request to review their salary. That being said, if money is the only object and a player is determined to move on, I'm sure they know where the exit door is.

I doubt the Sedins are going anywhere. They've made a lot of money playing here, they have raised their kids here and they have said they would like to leave the NHL as members of the Canucks and play in Sweden before they retire. If they wanted more money, they wouldn't be considering playing in Sweden.

I think Burrows is the most likely key player to leave. He can probably cash in with a long term $4 million-per-season deal after this year, if he wants.

who will leave?.... Sedins want to stay Canucks and I don't see them making more than what they make now, only guy who might leave us is Edler and maybe Hansen, all our stars want to be here. I hope we can develop a core like this in our prospect who played together,became good friends and staying together means more than making as much as they can.

Archived