The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Players leaving if Canucks don't win the Cup soon

magoomba

Granted, those prospects will be pretty good, but they won't be superstars like the Sedins or Ryan Kesler. The Canucks have to find a way to get blue chip prospects coming through the system that will be able to make a big impact on those 1st lines or 1st D pairings. Trading Luongo for one would be a good start.

Gillis also knows that if he is low balling players, he has to offer something that most other teams do not.

Nutritionist, sleep therapist, among many other things.

Remember this is a high pressure Canadian city that freaks out whenever Canucks dont go 82-0

Also we are a lonely hockey city on the coast with lots of travel time.

There are better things out there. Even if you dont want to believe it.

Imagine.

You could be lets say, a star goaltender in Vancouver, you destroy all the previous records, you win a gold medal in the same city, then the fans and media crap on you. Heck some probably want to tell him how they feel, so they do when they see him around the city. Btw it rains in this city 10 months of the year.

OR!

You could still break records, but down south, where no one knows your face. Its warmer, less travel, less tax, less crap from media and fans, all for the same cash. Plus your wife wants to move there to.

Which would you chose... (question marks and apostrophes are broken, sorry gang)

Regardless of whether or not you guys agree with all the crazy salaries out there (Wideman, Suter, Price, Parise), I can't help but think many of the Canucks players may be starting to feel like they're leaving a lot of money on the table to stay with the organization in hopes of winning a cup.

Gillis mentions multiple times that players are taking a lower salary so that the club can have enough money to add talented pieces in order to win the Cup.

But there are no guarantees in sports and they don't win the Cup in the next year or two, players will start thinking it's better to go free agency and make crazy money.

It's probably safe to say Sedins can get more than $7M each on the open market.

I can't see Burr leaving, the support he has received from the team and fans is astronomical, while the media tries to paint him as a villain, he plays in a city that LOVES him and he gets a lot of ice time, all from a team that saw potential in an undrafted ball hockey player, he is not going anywhere.

The Sedins have stated they would like to remain in Vancouver, I can only see them bolting for Sweden if things start going downhill after their next contract (2 years at 6.5M/yr maybe?)

I could see Kesler leaving after this contract only if the team continues to look less competitive each year, that and if coach/management/media continue to criticize his play.

Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard, Booth, Hansen I feel will at least finish off their current contracts but I could see the latter 3 leaving, while the former 3 staying longer as Bieksa seems like a lifer, and Hamhuis and Garrison are BC boys that wanted to play here something terrible.

Raymond could stay or go next season depending on how he plays and how the media portrays him.

Malhotra will likely not be offered a contract and will walk.

Higgins and Lapierre are interesting as both came at the same time and LOVE it here, but both will be replaceable in the future by prospects, I think they may end up going to UFA, but not for a lack of wanting to stay.

Just my thoughts.

I don't see why everyone is bringing up Burrows' contract. At the time he signed it, he was worth at most $3m in the open market, and he offered to sign for $2m. At the time, the Sedins were worth maybe $6.5-7m, but they settled for $6.1m each. Times are changing, and the salary cap is steadily increasing. MG is a shrewd businessman, but he's not a miser.

No, the main issue was he wanted a 2 year contract. Even though the Canucks, I'm sure, were happy to give him 1 year and a time until he retired. Salo took the guarantee of that 2nd year. Canucks didn't want to potentially have the cap hit for that 2nd year if he didn't play for whatever reason because Salo is over 35.

I'm not as convinced that players will leave but I don;t think players will continue to buy into the strategy of signing for less money just so they can play in Vancouver. (sami and Tanner Glass) I think you can only play that same card so often. We might be a bit optomistic that Vancouver is the place to play !

......You must be watching a different guy than I watch..Kesler had 1 really good season (selke winner).He wasn't world class with that.Dream all you want,the day he's traded will be a GREAT day for the Canucks Of course he could be considered a world class diver if that's what you mean.

You don't have a clue. How can you write a guy off who had 40 goals last year? Many many teams would love to have a guy like Kesler on their team, the guy plays with heart and is a HUGE part of this team. The day Kesler is gone will be a very sad day for the Canucks, and a day this team might fall back into mediocrity.

Do you realize why this team has won two presidents trophies and made it to game 7 of the SCF in the last two years? It's because of guys like Kesler and the Sedins.

You don't have the slightest idea of what a good hockey player is if indeed you are being serious.

Archived