The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So is 4.6 mil the max for D-men? Is that the message we're sending?

DeNiro

With the signing of Garrison at 4.6 mil, and Gillis stating that he had to fit into our internal cap structure, does that mean that no defenseman on this team will make more than that?

Will Edler be willing to take that amount if we sign him long term, or do we make a push for Weber instead, and sign him to a big contract?

I don't think our players would have a problem signing Weber to a big contract since he definitely is a top 5 defenseman in the league. But I wonder how they would feel about Edler making the 6-7 mil, that he could easily fetch on the open market.

Each free agent is different. Garrison's 4.6 fits nicely into the salary structure of the team; ie Bieksa and Hamhuis are at about the same level. To pay more for Garrison than either of those guys would look bad, imo.

I can see a team throwing stupid money at Edler (6 million?). In that case I'd say Canucks should let him walk and save their money for Weber.

If this is tied into the recent Edler panic thread, then why not bring it up in that thread?

Of course it's not the max. The max is $10mil per season, per the Sedin contract and the first year of the Luongo contract. Pffft...

Point being, the Canucks aren't afraid to spend money. So are they afraid to pay Edler or anyone else who deserves it for that matter? Nope. Why would they be?

Beyond that, if Gillis managed to keep pretty much all the players he wanted to keep around so far at discount rates, then I wouldn't worry about Edler so much.

Cheer up, Robert.

TOML

We build the team around the Sedins and Kesler mostly, our defense doesn't have that so until the Sedins contracts are close to over, I don't really expect a big defense men signing, just look at Los Angeles and their D core, They don't have many big contracts at all but their offense does.

I think out of respect to the Sedins, I would talk to them first to see how they feel about paying Weber that much. I was thinking the Canucks where going to use the Red wings phylosiphy, that no one gets paid more than Lidstrom.

The Sedins are a definate bargain right now. How much money are they going to be worth when they resign in 3 years from now? They'll only be 34 and I'm sure they'll have lots of game left.

I remember MG saying that no one makes more then the Sedins, so I can see Weber getting offered 6.1, even then I could see he going a few hundred thous over it, i can see gillis going 6.5 for weber tbh. Edler I could see getting offered 4.6, maybe 4.7 from MG

Archived