The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So is 4.6 mil the max for D-men? Is that the message we're sending?

DeNiro

If there is one thing I've noticed about gillis is he does seem to learn and adapt. He preached speed and skill when he first got here and built a really good speed and skill team. Once we got to the finals it became evident that toughness and durability were a major factor aswell. He added toughness and size by swapping samuellson for booth. Then put his nuts on the table and handed CDC a hammer and traded his golden young center hodgson, in a gamble hoping he has the next most feared power forward in kassian.

He does preach balance and we have a very balanced lineup, but if someone becomes availible that makes us wayyy better(the best dman in the league), I feel like he has the balls to go get him in free agency.

In a recent interview he said he was trying to draft players closer to being NHL ready. I believe he is preparing himself for possibly having to let players who earn larger contracts walk or be traded. If that does happen, hopefully some of these young guns can step in and we can afford to overspend when these major stars in their prime become availible.

Personally I love the guy and his patience. He didn't get scared and lock erhoff down long term as it would have handcuffed us to a group of aging vets. Instead he puts the confidence in his guys and let's them weather the storm for a year untill a solid replacement is found. And looking at our situation now, if Shae Weber becomes availible next year as ufa. We should be able to make the necessary moves to fit him in.

The beauty of it all is he has more experience on the other side than any GM in history. He may seem like a stubborn SOB right now but I wouldn't put too much into it. He's a smart man and examines every detail. When the right deals come along I have faith he'll make a strong pitch.

With the signing of Garrison at 4.6 mil, and Gillis stating that he had to fit into our internal cap structure, does that mean that no defenseman on this team will make more than that?

Will Edler be willing to take that amount if we sign him long term, or do we make a push for Weber instead, and sign him to a big contract?

I don't think our players would have a problem signing Weber to a big contract since he definitely is a top 5 defenseman in the league. But I wonder how they would feel about Edler making the 6-7 mil, that he could easily fetch on the open market.

If there is one thing I've noticed about gillis is he does seem to learn and adapt. He preached speed and skill when he first got here and built a really good speed and skill team. Once we got to the finals it became evident that toughness and durability were a major factor aswell. He added toughness and size by swapping samuellson for booth. Then put his nuts on the table and handed CDC a hammer and traded his golden young center hodgson, in a gamble hoping he has the next most feared power forward in kassian.

He does preach balance and we have a very balanced lineup, but if someone becomes availible that makes us wayyy better(the best dman in the league), I feel like he has the balls to go get him in free agency.

In a recent interview he said he was trying to draft players closer to being NHL ready. I believe he is preparing himself for possibly having to let players who earn larger contracts walk or be traded. If that does happen, hopefully some of these young guns can step in and we can afford to overspend when these major stars in their prime become availible.

Personally I love the guy and his patience. He didn't get scared and lock erhoff down long term as it would have handcuffed us to a group of aging vets. Instead he puts the confidence in his guys and let's them weather the storm for a year untill a solid replacement is found. And looking at our situation now, if Shae Weber becomes availible next year as ufa. We should be able to make the necessary moves to fit him in.

The beauty of it all is he has more experience on the other side than any GM in history. He may seem like a stubborn SOB right now but I wouldn't put too much into it. He's a smart man and examines every detail. When the right deals come along I have faith he'll make a strong pitch.

Suter making 7.5 M for 13 years means that Weber will almost automatically be guaranteed more for the same length. I guess we would have to throw something like 8-8.5 M for a 6 year term. Which is flat out ridiculous, even for Weber. This is exactly why I can't see him wearing a Canucks sweater.

<p>

We build the team around the Sedins and Kesler mostly, our defense doesn't have that so until the Sedins contracts are close to over, I don't really expect a big defense men signing, just look at Los Angeles and their D core, They don't have many big contracts at all but their offense does.

Why is everyone assuming we're going to go after Weber...? I'm so confused.

Sure, he's a great player but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would fit into our dressing room. This team isn't interested in signing big stars for huge contracts... History shows that management wants to sign undervalued players with potential and the right attitude/personality.

We're not going to be whoring ourselves out to get Weber, I can guarantee it. He's the kind of guy that thinks money first, in which case he'll get a better offer from a city that doesn't have much to offer in terms of lifestyle (i.e. Nashville...)

Edler will not break that rule. He had a phenominal start to the season but his both his numbers, and performance dropped drastically in the second half of the year. That reduction in production continued into the playoffs and was his poor performance is one of the reasons why we were unsuccessful.

Edler at this point in his career is not worth 6 mil. Hamhuis is easily out performing him.

With the signing of Garrison at 4.6 mil, and Gillis stating that he had to fit into our internal cap structure, does that mean that no defenseman on this team will make more than that?

Will Edler be willing to take that amount if we sign him long term, or do we make a push for Weber instead, and sign him to a big contract?

I don't think our players would have a problem signing Weber to a big contract since he definitely is a top 5 defenseman in the league. But I wonder how they would feel about Edler making the 6-7 mil, that he could easily fetch on the open market.

I'm generally against going after big names via free-agency because you

a ) overpay

and

b ) potentially disrupt team chemistry

but in the case of Weber I think it's worth letting Edler walk and absorbing the difference in salaries.

Yes that is the max.

Weber will be offered a deal for 4.6 million for 20 years, age 28 to 48.

Seriously though, if he wants to play here it will be for 6.5 or 7. Sedin-like contract with inflation. We dot have to overpay if the player wants to play here - but we don't underpay either...

But maybe mg will surprise and offer him 8-9 but I doubt it.

Why is everyone assuming we're going to go after Weber...? I'm so confused.

Sure, he's a great player but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would fit into our dressing room. This team isn't interested in signing big stars for huge contracts... History shows that management wants to sign undervalued players with potential and the right attitude/personality.

We're not going to be whoring ourselves out to get Weber, I can guarantee it. He's the kind of guy that thinks money first, in which case he'll get a better offer from a city that doesn't have much to offer in terms of lifestyle (i.e. Nashville...)

If Weber wants to play in Vancouver, it won't take an insane offer to sign him. Insane contracts are reserved for when a team wants a player but the player doesn't REALLY want to be on the team. So sweeten the deal with more money for longer, right?

Archived