Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Got a new Car(pics), Who knows about car audio?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

I just got a 1980 firebird and as much as I love the car I can't help but be bothered by knowing the speakers and sound system are all 32 years old.

I'm not sure what kind of budget to set for a GOOD sound system, and impressive one, that doesn't break the bank. I know it takes 6 1/2's but also takes 6 1/4s

I was thinking of setting my starting price at around $700-$800

My style of music is FAST metal (things like whitechapel, rose funeral, Nile LoG) as well as rock and some rap, I care more about metal music and classic rock however.

From a bit of research, ive learned that I should look into getting 4 8 inch subs for my style of music as appose to bigger subs, I have room in the trunk as well.

I however, have no clue what kind of speaker set to get, deck to get, amps to get, brands, etc etc.

Can anyone give me a few good examples of some equipment I should look into?

Pic

Fun facts:

-This is one of the 1000 of this model that were made, and may be the only one left

-It features the 301 V8 engine with a TWIN TURBO (the guy special ordered it in this one, they generally only came with a single turbo) that was supposed to phase out the 454 big blocks, but was too expensive, so, this car boasts as powerful as a big block, with the fuel efficiency of a small block.

-This car was not driven for 25 years, and was used as a show car.

-It only has 3000km's.

So say I set up my car with the following parts:

Pioneer DEH-P7400HD

Infinity Reference X REF-6500cfx

JL Audio CP110-W0v3 x 3

Would this be a decent build?

Which amps would you recommend then for the subs as well as the high/mids.

#2 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Do you really need four 8'' subs? That kind of base will prevent you from actually listening to the music. Instead you'll just feel your seats rattle around.

At the $700-800 price range, you will not be able to get the required deck, speaker, and amp of sufficient quality to put anything even remotely good in there. As far as subs go, I'd also recommend getting a proper sound engineer to look at and fit your vehicle with a box. If you just throw in 4 boxes, it's going to rattle the frame of the car.

At your price range, I'd suggest going for a much lower powered but better sounding system (IE one that does not feature 4 subs). If your goal is to get people to look at you because all they can hear is the sound of your car fram rattling around, then 4 subs will do the trick.

#3 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

all you need is a mullet and you're good to go!

#4 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

How many speakers? you dont need to spend that high of a amount. If your in metro-van I would go down to Washington to buy it will save you $$.

Just get a single 12" and a good amp. Goto stereo warehouse n car toyz in Seattle

Edited by key2thecup, 04 July 2012 - 04:25 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#5 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

I just got a 1980 firebird and as much as I love the car I can't help but be bothered by knowing the speakers and sound system are all 32 years old.

I'm not sure what kind of budget to set for a GOOD sound system, and impressive one, that doesn't break the bank. I know it takes 6 1/2's but also takes 6 1/4s

I was thinking of setting my starting price at around $700-$800

My style of music is FAST metal (things like whitechapel, rose funeral, Nile LoG) as well as rock and some rap, I care more about metal music and classic rock however.

From a bit of research, ive learned that I should look into getting 4 8 inch subs for my style of music as appose to bigger subs, I have room in the trunk as well.

I however, have no clue what kind of speaker set to get, deck to get, amps to get, brands, etc etc.

Can anyone give me a few good examples of some equipment I should look into?

Pic

Fun facts:

-This is one of the 1000 of this model that were made, and may be the only one left

-It features the 301 V8 engine with a TWIN TURBO (the guy special ordered it in this one, they generally only came with a single turbo) that was supposed to phase out the 454 big blocks, but was too expensive, so, this car boasts as powerful as a big block, with the fuel efficiency of a small block.

-This car was not driven for 25 years, and was used as a show car.

-It only has 3000km's.

So say I set up my car with the following parts:

Pioneer DEH-P7400HD

Infinity Reference X REF-6500cfx

JL Audio CP110-W0v3 x 3

Would this be a decent build?

Which amps would you recommend then for the subs as well as the high/mids.

You can never go wrong with JL audio. I love metal and have a 10 inch JL 10W5c old school but still plays it all. JL seperates the small ones that go in the doors n stuff are also top notch if you dont want to spend huuge money.They have great high end and unreal bass for a 10 inch. Alpine still makes the best amps Pioneer makes unreal decks also. looks like you are doing fine in your research. CLASSIC Sick ride BTW :)

Edited by vanfan73, 04 July 2012 - 04:22 PM.

tumblr_m9hjp8vrqX1reh8b2o1_250.gif

Once, on vacation,  using only a rake and a pair of sunglasses,

I single-handedly defended a small village in Italy from a colony of angry wasps. :ph34r:

#6 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Get Kicker Solobaric Subs. Pound for pound best subs in the car audio market. No other subs compare dollar for dollar unless you want to spend biiiiig money

#7 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

I wouldn't do individual sub boxes either,

If you want a decent system start slowly and build it up

Deck and good separates first then sub later on as you can afford it. (maybe JL separates)

I've got 2 JL 10W4D4'S running at 2 ohms and they scared the shlt out of the sales guys when I bought 'em over 10 years ago.

I currently have a Pioneer deck, Focal separates, Rockford Fosgate amps and the JL subs in a single sealed JL box. Fookin' amazing.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#8 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

all you need is a mullet and you're good to go!

Cut the top off with a hack saw... home made convertible a must have.

Posted Image

#9 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Those Infinity speakers seem to be 6 3/4 rather than 6 1/2. Make sure they fit first before getting them.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#10 nivlek604

nivlek604

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Check out Crutchfield.ca for speakers, and Visions has sales from time to time on their alpine stuff.

I Think 4 8inch woofers is not nessacary. If youre thinking more about quality; hitting the highs and lows, i would say one 10 inch would be plenty. If youre looking to be heard. id say 2-12's .

Edited by nivlek604, 04 July 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#11 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

I used to think a loud system was cool.. Then I grew up.

If you're honestly looking for a good quality sound system, you won't need 4 subs. If you're hoping everyone hears you as you approach from block away, 4 subs should do the trick. Just remember those people who hear you will think you're a complete tool. Well, everyone except for 13 year old boys. They might think you're cool.

#12 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Don't overload on subs like the civic ricer boiis so all you can hear is the deafening bass blowing from a mile away.

Quality over quantity, get good SPEAKERS and an AMP or 2 before worrying about a sub. If you even do, I'd say 1 10 inch is more then enough for clean and crisp bumps fitting nicely with the rest of the set-up.

Edited by Rypien37, 04 July 2012 - 06:35 PM.

Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#13 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

1st off, nice car man.

Secondly, four 8"subs is about 2 too many. Get two 10" subs instead man. Doesn't matter which brand really, all subs sounds the same as long as they are hooked up to a decent amplifier.

For speakers I'd recommend Alpine type S or type R. I had type S in the front of my truck and they sounded perfect for any type of music.

I'd recommend a higher quality deck because it gives you more options and freedoms than a lower quality. Might be tough finding a proper harness kit though for your car.

Amps are the most expensive and you might as well buy a big one if you are willing to because it makes a huge difference in power and sound. I would try to get a higher-tier brand like Clarion, Alpine, etc with alot of wattage.

Posted Image

#14 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

all you need is a mullet turban and you're good to go!

“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#15 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Just go with a nice sounding system that also has bass but not something that needs to be heard four blocks away as mentioned. Use that money for a spoiler or tinted windows or something (if that thing floats your boat)
Posted Image

#16 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Kickers

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#17 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

damn kids and there loud music

#18 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Not to go off topic.

But if its been sitting for that long. I strongly suggest servicing it. Oil change and also STRONGLY suggest you get a fuel system clean. Even if it hasn't been driving for along time, there will be TONES of Carbon build-up and that can ruin the engine, give poor performance and poor mileage.

I did my 97 Mazda MX6 at Midas for $109.00 after tax and gained 50Km's of mileage and noticeable performance.

As for the speakers, I suggest buying them and getting them installed at Visions Electronics on Kingsway. Amazing deals and selection. Honestly you could get a good system for $400-$500 with the deck and installation.

http://www.visions.c...CookieSupport=1

Edited by Armada, 04 July 2012 - 10:49 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#19 BoggyDepot

BoggyDepot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

I don't know who told you to do so, but four 8 inch subs is TOTAL overkill and is ridiculous. Especially in a small car, and listening to mostly rock/metal music. All you need is one (high quality) 10 inch and you're good to go, just don't skimp out on the one that you choose and get a good one and it'll still rock your car. You'll probably still end up turning the bass down. Get a decent amp too.

Also you might want to make sure your deck an aux output which comes in handy for ipod/mp3 listening. Much better than the FM transmitters which are not good.

Edited by BoggyDepot, 04 July 2012 - 11:13 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------

#20 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Another thing is maybe, if you can, try not to totally hack up the doors, dash and trunk etc getting this stuff in. Keep the damage down so if you decide to switch directions you arent left with holes everywhere. Ive been into 60s-early 70s cars since the late 80s and have seen so many destroyed dashes and doors its not funny anymore.

And yeah, a 1980 Firebird is a cool car but if the stereo is stock or a aftermarket stereo bought back then it has to go. Soon. Just take your time, buy quality over quantity and maybe save some money down the road for a sub, amp, box and stick to the basics of a quality head unit and pair of 6 1/2 separates to start with.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.