#1 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

POPULAR

I recall many (including users of CDC) claiming that Luongo will "for sure be going to Toronto by July 1st," additionally claiming to have "inside sources" in an attempt at bring respectability to their statements.

With July 1 coming and going, I thought I would post so that we may all embrace and rejoice in the fact that many have destroyed their credibility, and thusly, we may never again have to pay attention to their ficticious and attention seeking ways.

Furthermore, with all the UFA signing in the recent days it appears that the Luongo trade that so many have predicted will not in fact come to reality. With Garrison recently signing, the potential for a Luongo deal or salary dump to Florida has come and gone, leaving a depleted FA pool and weaker trading block.

So now as it appears that Luongo is here to stay a while longer (my guess until at least December, maybe longer), how do the rest of you feel about this potential, are you willing to still support him, or are we going to continue trying to run one of the best goaltenders in the world out of city? :bigblush:

PS The fact that this may be the 1000000000000000000000 Luongo thread has not escaped me! :shock:

Edited by scarface173, 04 July 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#2 2013's The Charm

2013's The Charm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

POPULAR

Luongo's getting traded. Its only a matter of when.

#3 Tiburon

Tiburon

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

He's still getting traded, probably not anytime soon though.
Posted Image

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

POPULAR

So many fans will look rediculous if Luongo doesn't get traded. BunBun aka spiderman was trying to make e-bets. Merci had rediculed the slight mention of it. I can't wait to dredge up old posts if Lu sticks around. People really need to consider all options a little better. Trading luongo for a bag o pucks simply won't happen. No matter how much you want lu gone.

Edit - add smurf47 to the list of people who have predicted Luongo gone several times already.

Edited by Special Ed, 04 July 2012 - 11:47 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#5 'NucKô

'NucKô

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

POPULAR

making a thread titled "Luongo not going anywhere" is equally dumb to saying "Luongo going to Toronto by July 1st"

noone KNOWS

Edited by 'NucKô, 04 July 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Luongo's getting traded. Its only a matter of when.

Pretty easy to say with an open-ended sentence like that.........will you be taking credit for being right if there's no trade til say......2014? Of course you will, silly me......... :picard:

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#7 Mufasa

Mufasa

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

IBTL!
RIP - Rick Rypien
PSN - BthaKing

#8 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

the recent contracts given out just makes luongo's contract look so much better, quick and price at 6 mil, and the ridiculous contracts (suter, parise) given out today makes luongo's contract a great deal. The weak free agent pool remaining makes luongo even more attractive as other teams have a more difficult time improving their team via free agency. For example, how's burkie gonna save his job now, nothing out there to improve his team, he almost has to make some kind of deal for luongo to save his job. That being said, luongo is a world class goaltender and I do think we have taken his services for granted the last 5 years.

Edited by 36yrsncounting, 04 July 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#9 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hey! It was 90% done!!
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#10 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

So now as it appears that Luongo is here to stay a while longer (my guess until at least December, maybe longer), how do the rest of you feel about this potential, are you willing to still support him, or are we going to continue trying to run one of the best goaltenders in the world out of city? :bigblush:

Luongo's endeared himself to me.

It's not his fault that we have a GM who couldn't see an issue like this coming, from miles, and miles away. The fact is that Schneider should have been traded 2 or 3 years ago, not long after we had made the monster commitment to Luongo.

The fact that trading one of the better goalies in the league, who will provide stability to a franchise for the next decade, has resorted to little more than a cap dump, should tell you all that you need to know about how Gillis has handled this.

Gillis, now, has a very high asking price for Luongo, which he should, but he's not going to find someone that's willing to pay it! We're going to lose this deal, when it happens, very badly, just like we very badly lost the Ballard deal, and like we very badly lost the Booth deal (if it's not blatantly obvious to everyone just yet, it will over the next couple of years).

Mike Gillis should be EMBARRASSED at how this has played out.

#11 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

how's burkie gonna save his job now, nothing out there to improve his team, he almost has to make some kind of deal for luongo to save his job

Unfortunately, its not up to Burkie, its up to Lou, remember NTC

#12 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

I'm cool with having the best goalie tandem in the league, the only thing is, is that Schneider wants to be a #1.
Posted Image

#13 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Florida Panthers. If anyone disagree I'll bet them $100 Paypal or EMT or whatever.
There's no chance he's going to Toronto and about a 2% chance another team trades for him unless its mid season and a team's goaltending issues are visibily apparent.

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,517 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Note that the season might not even start until December anyway. What's the rush?

TOML
Posted Image

#15 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

I recall many (including users of CDC) claiming that Luongo will "for sure be going to Toronto by July 1st," additionally claiming to have "inside sources" in an attempt at bring respectability to their statements.

With July 1 coming and going, I thought I would post so that we may all embrace and rejoice in the fact that many have destroyed their credibility, and thusly, we may never again have to pay attention to their ficticious and attention seeking ways.

Furthermore, with all the UFA signing in the recent days it appears that the Luongo trade that so many have predicted will not in fact come to reality. With Garrison recently signing, the potential for a Luongo deal or salary dump to Florida has come and gone, leaving a depleted FA pool and weaker trading block.

PS The fact that this may be the 1000000000000000000000 Luongo thread has not escaped me! :shock:

Easy for you to say.
Posted Image

#16 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

I am firmly of the opinion we should keep both for as long as possible. Both to take advantage of two outstanding goalies, and to wait out the concept other teams have of Lu's availablity being a cap dump.

I would look closer to the deadline, or maybe next offseason.

Edited by Primal Optimist, 04 July 2012 - 04:30 PM.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#17 crime911

crime911

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

It is just the matter of time. If we get a deal that makes a team better then MG will not hesitate to move him. I wouldn't want komisarek from toronto- its just waste of cap.

Edited by crime911, 04 July 2012 - 04:31 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Whether he stays or goes, we can afford it, and that's something we weren't sure of heading out of the playoffs last season. There's still time for a deal to happen, but we could have another year and another legitimate shot at the cup with the strongest goaltending tandem in the NHL.

That's not necessarily needed, but we have it.

#19 Ó мцöт вяздк чфĶ

Ó мцöт вяздк чфĶ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

nhl and khl should form a partnership and allow trades between themselves. kinda like different european football/soccer leagues do. would be quite interesting.

Edited by Ó мцöт вяздк чфĶ, 04 July 2012 - 04:49 PM.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#20 canuck_face54

canuck_face54

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

POPULAR

I have always loved and supported Lou! From the days where EVERYONE on CDC said "Lou is god!" to the days where everyone wanted him gone. I believe he still has what it takes to bring an NHL team to the Cup, and I'd be very happy if that team was the Vancouver Canucks!
Canucks4Life!

#21 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

POPULAR

With so much offensive firepower in the division now, I don't think we can afford to trade Luongo. If Schneider falters or gets hurt we will be hard-pressed to even make the playoffs. It's too big of a risk unless we get an absolute windfall in return.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#22 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

All the Lou lovers are grabbing for straws....a deal will get done.....and Lou will be gone !! read it and weep !!

#23 Doogie

Doogie

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

As of now, Loungo isn't going anywhere but come November-December he will mostly likely get moved (as much I don't want him gone, he is getting moved). A few months into the season the teams that aren't doing all that great are going to want to look to turn things around, probably with their goaltending situation. Then and only then will Gillis get what he's asking for and I think that's exactly what he is waiting for. I'll be happy to wait till November-December, until then we have one of the best if not the best goaltending tandem in the league.

#24 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

Not going anywhere?
He just flew the coup to Vegas...

#25 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

He'll get moved before September imo.

#26 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

yes... free agency was 4 days ago! there is no way he will be trade now!!!
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#27 Rollieo Del Fuego

Rollieo Del Fuego

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Assuming Lou is willing to go anywhere and does not get pissed off at waiting.
His value will never be greater than at the trade deadline, big gamble possible huge reward.

I am thinking a first round pick and a useful third liner, maybe second liner.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego, 04 July 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#28 Rollieo Del Fuego

Rollieo Del Fuego

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Another possibility is a team trying to get up to the cap minimum.
Might be worth a first round pick and a top prospect or rookie/second year NHL player and a tough 4th liner.

#29 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

I highly doubt that this team is going into the new season with 13% of its cap space allocated solely in the crease. This percentage will also likely be higher if/when the cap goes down under a new CBA, as is expected. It makes no sense for a team to carry two goaltenders being paid starter money.

Cap aside, I strongly also believe that having both Luongo and Schneider at training camp as well as into the season is not a situation that Gillis envisions as ideal by any stretch.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

rsz_theylive.jpg 11477626583_2368927097.jpg  7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#30 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Boooooo to the OP. Lou-gone-go will soon be gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.