The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo not going anywhere

I recall many (including users of CDC) claiming that Luongo will "for sure be going to Toronto by July 1st," additionally claiming to have "inside sources" in an attempt at bring respectability to their statements.

With July 1 coming and going, I thought I would post so that we may all embrace and rejoice in the fact that many have destroyed their credibility, and thusly, we may never again have to pay attention to their ficticious and attention seeking ways.

Furthermore, with all the UFA signing in the recent days it appears that the Luongo trade that so many have predicted will not in fact come to reality. With Garrison recently signing, the potential for a Luongo deal or salary dump to Florida has come and gone, leaving a depleted FA pool and weaker trading block.

So now as it appears that Luongo is here to stay a while longer (my guess until at least December, maybe longer), how do the rest of you feel about this potential, are you willing to still support him, or are we going to continue trying to run one of the best goaltenders in the world out of city? :bigblush:

PS The fact that this may be the 1000000000000000000000 Luongo thread has not escaped me! :shock:

So many fans will look rediculous if Luongo doesn't get traded. BunBun aka spiderman was trying to make e-bets. Merci had rediculed the slight mention of it. I can't wait to dredge up old posts if Lu sticks around. People really need to consider all options a little better. Trading luongo for a bag o pucks simply won't happen. No matter how much you want lu gone.

Edit - add smurf47 to the list of people who have predicted Luongo gone several times already.

the recent contracts given out just makes luongo's contract look so much better, quick and price at 6 mil, and the ridiculous contracts (suter, parise) given out today makes luongo's contract a great deal. The weak free agent pool remaining makes luongo even more attractive as other teams have a more difficult time improving their team via free agency. For example, how's burkie gonna save his job now, nothing out there to improve his team, he almost has to make some kind of deal for luongo to save his job. That being said, luongo is a world class goaltender and I do think we have taken his services for granted the last 5 years.

So now as it appears that Luongo is here to stay a while longer (my guess until at least December, maybe longer), how do the rest of you feel about this potential, are you willing to still support him, or are we going to continue trying to run one of the best goaltenders in the world out of city? :bigblush:

I recall many (including users of CDC) claiming that Luongo will "for sure be going to Toronto by July 1st," additionally claiming to have "inside sources" in an attempt at bring respectability to their statements.

With July 1 coming and going, I thought I would post so that we may all embrace and rejoice in the fact that many have destroyed their credibility, and thusly, we may never again have to pay attention to their ficticious and attention seeking ways.

Furthermore, with all the UFA signing in the recent days it appears that the Luongo trade that so many have predicted will not in fact come to reality. With Garrison recently signing, the potential for a Luongo deal or salary dump to Florida has come and gone, leaving a depleted FA pool and weaker trading block.

PS The fact that this may be the 1000000000000000000000 Luongo thread has not escaped me! :shock:

I am firmly of the opinion we should keep both for as long as possible. Both to take advantage of two outstanding goalies, and to wait out the concept other teams have of Lu's availablity being a cap dump.

I would look closer to the deadline, or maybe next offseason.

Whether he stays or goes, we can afford it, and that's something we weren't sure of heading out of the playoffs last season. There's still time for a deal to happen, but we could have another year and another legitimate shot at the cup with the strongest goaltending tandem in the NHL.

That's not necessarily needed, but we have it.

I have always loved and supported Lou! From the days where EVERYONE on CDC said "Lou is god!" to the days where everyone wanted him gone. I believe he still has what it takes to bring an NHL team to the Cup, and I'd be very happy if that team was the Vancouver Canucks!

Archived