The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo not going anywhere

No fans that said Luo was going to TO are not going to feel ridiculous....really get serious.

Fact: MG is trying to accomodate Luo's desire to move on.

Fact: This is Schneiders team now.

Fact: Even you have admitted that Luongo will be traded.

Question: How do you feel justified in stating that the fans ran Luo out of town? Which fans? Be specific instead of turning this into a poor Luo thread.

Luo asked to be moved because he has accepted that this is Schneiders time now and he doesn't want to be anything other than a #1.

I don't know how this thread has survived this long when a zillion other Luo threads have been locked immediately.

Almost $10 million is too much money invested in a position where only one of the two plays each night. It'll cap strap us in other ways and we don't want that.

It's just a matter of time. This is a huge asset for the organization and we can't give him away for nothing in return. Sadly the two-elite goalie system can't work in the cap era

Provided Lou stays next season, we will have 9.3 mil tied up in goaltending. Nashville has 8.5, Boston has 8.5, Rangers have 8.2. I don't know, I don't think it's that crazy to spend 800K-1Mil more than these teams to have a far more solid and reliable goaltending tandem. While I agree that the extra money could be spent elsewhere, I also don't think that we have, or could get, another goalie who gives us anywhere near the security we have in net right now.

If I were to put money on it, I'd bet Lou gets traded. That being said, I also wouldn't mind seeing Lou with 30-35 starts & Schneids getting the rest. We would still have over 5.5 Mil for the cap, plenty of cash to pick up another quality D man, or 2nd line center.

I think it will be a big mistake if he doesn't get traded before the season starts, as a lot of fans believe he doesn't want to play here anymore.

They might try to turn it around and make it sound like the media was to blame for the hype of it, although people will still think he wants out.... If hes not traded and he loses a game... it could get ugly.

We thought the Luongo trash talk was bad before......

My question is this...let's say for the sake of argument that Schneider is indeed better than Luongo. Schneider is not much of an upgrade over Luongo. An upgrade...maybe but not much. The assets we can get for Schneider over Luongo however is a different story. You have to think about what you can get in a Luongo trade verses a Schneider trade. A Schneider trade can give you significantly better pieces for a Stanley cup. Pieces that can more than make up for the difference between Luongo and Schneider as a number one. Don't forget Luongo is no slouch himself, he still took us to the STF with 2 shutouts in the finals.

The only thing that should be up for debate is whether or not Luongo will be in net or sitting on the bench come October 11th. Luongo's time as the Canucks' undisputed no. 1 may be over, but his time in Vancouver isn't. Guarantee that (baring injuries) Schneider and Luongo will be playing next season in tandem as CDC continues to complain how a 3rd consecutive president trophy just isn't good enough and the media speculates about a feud between the Canucks' goaltenders that doesn't exist and how neither is happy and wants out unless the other is traded.

Luongo isn't going anywhere. Get over it.

don't think there's any way that you can not trade Luongo now. Maybe we could wait until the trade deadline, but I don't think it'd be good to wait any longer. Luongo's probably sick of all these trade rumours about him and well, Schneider wants to be the starter. I don't think it'd be good to piss off both of our goalies, Schneider's a good guy but he was probably promised starter.

I only read the first page, but the OPs post isnt about luongo.

It's about all the idiots on this board and the "insiders" that have zero credibility and spout random garbage to make a living. I say, get a real job, to them.

Too bad for Mike Gillis! Maybe he should've thought twice about handing out that NTC then, hmm?

I applaud Luongo for using the NTC to his advantage. If he only wants to go to FLA, more power to him. This should have been dealt with 2 or 3 years ago. Lou didn't sign that deal to get traded 2 years later. If Mike Gillis would've just traded Schneider in 2009, or 2010, or 2011, etc., we wouldn't have this awkward and powerless situation to deal with.

Seriously, why isn't more being discussed of this? Mike Gillis has really, really made a serious error here.

Regardless of whoever gets moved, I'm sure glad that MG is acting as though he'd be willing to keep the $9.3M combined salary for both goalies in order to avoid coming off as desperate and losing leverage in negotiations, since in reality there always is the possibility of keeping both #1 guys and waiting until a team is desperate enough to overpay and take one of them off of our hands.

Regardless of whoever gets moved, I'm sure glad that MG is acting as though he'd be willing to keep the $9.3M combined salary for both goalies in order to avoid coming off as desperate and losing leverage in negotiations, since in reality there always is the possibility of keeping both #1 guys and waiting until a team is desperate enough to overpay and take one of them off of our hands.

I have always loved and supported Lou! From the days where EVERYONE on CDC said "Lou is god!" to the days where everyone wanted him gone. I believe he still has what it takes to bring an NHL team to the Cup, and I'd be very happy if that team was the Vancouver Canucks!

the recent contracts given out just makes luongo's contract look so much better, quick and price at 6 mil, and the ridiculous contracts (suter, parise) given out today makes luongo's contract a great deal. The weak free agent pool remaining makes luongo even more attractive as other teams have a more difficult time improving their team via free agency. For example, how's burkie gonna save his job now, nothing out there to improve his team, he almost has to make some kind of deal for luongo to save his job. That being said, luongo is a world class goaltender and I do think we have taken his services for granted the last 5 years.

The meltdown came from Luongo??? With no Daniel Sedin, the coach not anticipating the loss of it's highest scorer, most of the Canucks not really doing anything but getting pushed around in the LA series and Luongo had a meltdown????

2 shutouts in the SCF while the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows going missing, losing out top defencemen and Luongo had a meltdown????

Vancouver once again has become a goalie graveyard.

Archived