Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 9 votes

Luongo not going anywhere

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
176 replies to this topic

#121 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

I dont get why people keep bringing up the 'unproven' argument with CS, he's a proven AHL Star, he is living up to the potential the Canucks thought he had when they drafted him. He has proven everything he needs to prove in the 60+ games he has played.

Every Star player in the history of sports has started off 'unproven'... MJ was unproven at one point of his career, Roy, Gretzky, Broduer the list goes on and on.

I think its just more like Luongo fans cant get over the fact that their idol is getting traded because he got beaten by the younger and better goaltender.

Luongo is done here, these so called fans cant see the big picture, CS gives us stability in net for years to come, while in 5-6 years, Luongo would be 39 with a cap hit of 5m...

Chris Mason
Jim Carey
Brian Boucher
Rick Dipietro
Andrew Raycroft says Hi.

It's easier to have an impressive beginning but can you keep doing it?
Schneider may be a better goalie but why not keep a great backup option rather than relying on Lack.
The backup goalie market is not exactly stacked this year either.

#122 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Suggestions?

I think Theodore in return is a pretty good option as backup

#123 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

We literally have the best goalie tandem in the NHL: with a 9.5 million dollar cap hit. considering how much other teams are paying their goaltenders, keeping the tandem is not out of reality. Nashville's tandem is 8.9 million. Tomas and Rask from Boston was also doing the same thing. Keeping Luongo while Schneider gets seasoned in is not a bad idea. All the people who want Luongo traded need to take a yoga class and calm down about trading him now.

Most people only want the trade so that they have something interesting to talk about around the water cooler, do they really care if it hurts the team in the future...no.

#124 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

I think Theodore in return is a pretty good option as backup

Another goalie who had a successful beginning who faltered

#125 bam!

bam!

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Come across these statements a lot lately:

- Schneider wants to be the #1
- Luongo wants a trade
- Management has chosen Schneider
- Luongo has a ridiculous contract

are they all just wanton speculation or are any back up by fact, and if so could someone link to the source.

and now to further the thread.

The ideal situation would be a tandem with an as close to even as possible split of games through the regular season and the hot goalie starting the playoffs. Schneider really is a dice roll right now, if he falters we are left scrambling in February and with all the talk of "playoff window" thrown around in the last year I am surprised how content many are with such a high risk-high reward scenario

Edited by bam!, 05 July 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#126 AmexHiggins

AmexHiggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

With Garrison and Schneider's new contract, it is almost impossible to keep luongo under the cap. Although I somewhat agree whether Schneider can handle the heavy workload as a number 1 goalie, we will never know unless canucks give him that chance. Besides, if MG pulls off a luongo trade, I believe that he'll demand a decent goalie in return (hearing theodore a lot). I would take Theodore any time because last time when he was with Rollie Melanson, Theodore won the Vezina and Hart.

Off-ice wise, canucks almost have to trade luongo. The last thing you want is the kesler-less canucks dealing with constant media bombardment of a goalie controversy during training camp.

#127 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Come across these statements a lot lately:

- Schneider wants to be the #1
- Luongo wants a trade
- Management has chosen Schneider
- Luongo has a ridiculous contract

are they all just wanton speculation or are any back up by fact, and if so could someone link to the source.

and now to further the thread.

The ideal situation would be a tandem with an as close to even as possible split of games through the regular season and the hot goalie starting the playoffs. Schneider really is a dice roll right now, if he falters we are left scrambling in February and with all the talk of "playoff window" thrown around in the last year I am surprised how content many are with such a high risk-high reward scenario

How much worse can it get than 8 goals in a playoff game?

After many playoff unravels, the management has finally figured it out.

Trading Schneider has become the greater risk.

Que the Branch Luongians ranting and raving about lack of scoring & defensive breakdowns.

If it wasn't for Luongo's debacles, Boston/Chicago/LA would have ALSO have a scoring problem.

Defensive breakdowns? more like a gambling defense suddenly down 3 goals while their eyes blinked.

This man indirectly destroyed the most beautiful city in the Canada!!

Please God just end this eternal suffering and remove this cloak of darkness.

42 years is enough.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#128 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

The ideal situation would be a tandem with an as close to even as possible split of games through the regular season and the hot goalie starting the playoffs. Schneider really is a dice roll right now

;)

bam! is totally on point with this comment.

I don't understand why this option isn't discussed or brought up more often? After all, it makes perfect sense, at least for a season.

Why does it have to be one or the other when we have both right now. Remember once this tandem is blown up, we will never see another one again.

Bottom line and pure fact: Schneider is not a fully proven starting goaltender, we don't know what he fully has in the tank!!! :shock:

Edited by scarface173, 05 July 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#129 bam!

bam!

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

@Noheart

Can you show me the quote where someone, anyone, from management stated that they are sick of Luongo's playoff meltdowns? Oh right it doesn't exist. At the same time there are myriad examples of management publicly stating their support for him.

Defense/Scoring/etc
I'm almost salivating in anticipation to write this. Let us for a moment assume that the myriad defensive breakdowns and lack of scoring support were a non factor. Roughly the same scoring support and defense played in front of both goalies(arguably improved this year), therefore we can factor them out of the equation as they are a constant. You appear to be placing the losses in 2011 squarely onto the goalie's shoulders, as the offense and defense(or lack thereof) are a non-factor. By extension, the offense and defense of equal(understatement) caliber carried over from 2011 to 2012 must also be a non-factor. So wait a second, if the attributing losses even in part to factors with defense and offense is Branch Luongian shinanigans then we are left with only the goalie to blame. Oh there it is in your post: 8 goals in a game, repeated meltdowns...yep carries into 2012 playoffs... but....uh oh....I just checked the game cards(I actually didn't), it seems that Luongo didn't start games 3,4,and 5 this year and hey we lost two of those. Well, by your logic those losses must also be the goalie's fault because defense and offense can be dismissed as Luongo lover drivel. Oh snap, Schneider is 50% of the reason we didn't win the cup in 2012! Well, I guess there is only one thing left to do, deal both of these choke artists out, call up Lack, and tape the waterboy to the net Goldberg style!

P.s. sarcasm above, I have faith in and fully support both goalies(and the waterboy!)

Edited by bam!, 05 July 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#130 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

MG wants a crap ton for Lu, don't see him leaving van anytime soon.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#131 BCRenegade

BCRenegade

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

OK, but his first bad game, where do you think the rest of Canuck nation will stand on this? Are we ready to Boooo before we Loooo?

Sig too big. 

#132 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Can you show me the quote where someone, anyone, from management stated that they are sick of Luongo's playoff meltdowns? Oh right it doesn't exist. At the same time there are myriad examples of management publicly stating their support for him.

bam! again, totally on point (back to back jacks - props)! :towel:
MG gets butchered for anything the vultures can get a hold of. Credit to him and the whole management staff. Seriously, MG is in it for the long hall and operates this club in that exact manner; supporting players with a long term outlook!

Cards are close to the chest, yet revealing; its great.

I hope and want to see MG (plus staff) around in 5 years cause this crew has a Bowmanesque aura about them.

Yes it would be great to try and make a MAJOR push to win the cup RIGHT NOW, however, reality suggests good things come to those that wait; long term greatness would be better than being a flash in the pan. :emot-parrot:

#133 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

Personally I think players like Ballard, Booth, and Raymond hurt the Canucks a lot more than Luongo. Luongo should not be the first to go.

#134 danaimo

danaimo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

nothing has changed since July 1st. There are still group of teams that need to sort their goaltending out. Louongo is still the only starter under the age of 35 that is available. The market still favours Vancouver. The reason nothing has happened is that trades like this are hard to put together. If you don't believe me, go to the proposal section of CDC and try to find a trade proposal that makes sense for both sides. It might take you a while. I believe that MG has the balls to wait this out until other GMs start to panic.

#135 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

;)

bam! is totally on point with this comment.

I don't understand why this option isn't discussed or brought up more often? After all, it makes perfect sense, at least for a season.

Why does it have to be one or the other when we have both right now. Remember once this tandem is blown up, we will never see another one again.

Bottom line and pure fact: Schneider is not a fully proven starting goaltender, we don't know what he fully has in the tank!!! :shock:

Where is the risk in starting a goaltender who was almost 1/2 a goal per game better than Lou over the total number of games last season. If Cory is a toss of the dice...then this dice has 3 sixes and 3 fives...rolle em and you win anyway. Cory is far superior to Lou technically and fundamentally....or maybe youy didn;t watch the Canucks this past season..... no way on Gods earth will Lou be playing 30-40 games in a Canuck sweater this year...wake up and smell the coffee !!

#136 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

OK, but his first bad game, where do you think the rest of Canuck nation will stand on this? Are we ready to Boooo before we Loooo?

Auld survived a whole season when Cloutier went down due to injury. I say Cory gets two seasons before he's strung up.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#137 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Where is the risk in starting a goaltender who was almost 1/2 a goal per game better than Lou over the total number of games last season. If Cory is a toss of the dice...then this dice has 3 sixes and 3 fives...rolle em and you win anyway. Cory is far superior to Lou technically and fundamentally....or maybe youy didn;t watch the Canucks this past season..... no way on Gods earth will Lou be playing 30-40 games in a Canuck sweater this year...wake up and smell the coffee !!

Playing 30 games is different than playing the 70+ that he would if we were depending on Lack to backup. The risk is seeing how he handles being the only guy through an 82 game schedule. There is a risk, and rolling with a tandem next season isn't as far fetched as some believe it to be.

Edited by suolucidir, 06 July 2012 - 08:27 AM.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#138 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

With Garrison and Schneider's new contract, it is almost impossible to keep luongo under the cap.

I disagree. With the cap moving up so much for next season, we can fit both goalies in. But you're right - the frenzy that would ensue with keeping both goalies would certainly be a problem.It is obvious that MG is choosing Schneider as the goalie going ahead. While some are saying he is not 100% proven (and they'd be right), I am pretty comfortable with Cory moving forward. By trading Luongo, we should not only get some reasonable assets in return, but we also greatly lower our cap hit which can in turn be used to get stronger - likely in the forward position in particular.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#139 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Even with both signed, the Canucks are what, 5mil under the cap? It definitely isn't out of the question keeping both. I won't be surprised if we have both guys come start of the season, splitting the games. Come closer to trade deadline when the Canucks have a lot of points built up they will trade Luongo to a team looking to make it into the playoffs. Then Schneider can start most of the remaining games down the stretch and a guy like Lack can have his shot at 3 or 4. This should set Vancouver up as one of the top seeds and Schneider will have had a few months as the definitive #1 going into the playoffs.

Another train of thought....I don't care what people say about Schneider being "unproven"...When he was the starter for that good stretch when Luongo was out the kid played lights out. He also started some of the biggest regular season games for us and won them. And the big kicker....Playing in the final 3 games with the Canucks lives on the line he was just outstanding. You don't get more pressure filled moments then that, especially coming in as the "backup" with all that controversy of putting Lu on the bench.

This kid shows the poise of a veteran. I have absolutely 0 doubts about if he can be a #1 or not. He played in over THIRTY GAMES last season and managed to only record the 3rd best save % in NHL history.......

Edited by Airjasper, 06 July 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#140 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

@Noheart

AV started CS for the final 3 games of the LA series.
+
MG has complete faith in AV and extended his contract.
+
MG is shopping Lou for a trade.

Just because MG didn't come out and say "God damnit! I am so sick of Lou melting down in pressure situations" doesn't mean he hasn't expressed it. He just didn't say it.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#141 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

How did we lose either of those deals?

We have Ballard, Florida has a prospect yet to play an NHL game.

By that logic, I assume that you'd be willing to trade Nick Jensen, then, for Mike Komisarek?

That'd leave us with Komisarek, and TOR with a prospect that has yet to play an NHL game. Right?

#142 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Lu wasn't the issue in the first two losses vs LA, and neither was Cory the issue for the last two. The team played like complete trash in the first two games, so they shook things up by starting Cory. It worked, a little, but it was too late. Showing confidence in Cory =/= showing distrust in Luongo.

#143 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Even though we don't know how well Schneider will handle the same work load that Lou did, its not like Lou handled it that well either !! He was a definite no show in October, got injured and Cory carried the mail, had a few mini meltdowns later in season and got yanked after 2 post season games. You sure you are talking about the same Lou ? He can dress for a lot of games, but not sure he can play well for that many !!

#144 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

This pretty much sums everything up, hopefully the lou worshipers on here can finally understand this.

Iain MacIntyre@imacVanSun
Not that we didn't know, but... RT@PaulHaysom_Chek Luongo on CFOX: "It's been a great 6 years, but it's time to move on"

With that said would not surprise me if he sitll is here at the start of the season if a trade does not come, but its only a matter of time.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 06 July 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#145 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

This pretty much sums everything up, hopefully the lou worshipers on here can finally understand this.

Iain MacIntyre@imacVanSun
Not that we didn't know, but... RT@PaulHaysom_Chek Luongo on CFOX: "It's been a great 6 years, but it's time to move on"

With that said would not surprise me if he sitll is here at the start of the season if a trade does not come, but its only a matter of time.

:( Thanks Lu for those 6 years.
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#146 ubcanuck

ubcanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Luo poster just came down on rogers. Good bye.

#147 pghockeyguy

pghockeyguy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Loungo has to be traded. Anyone that thinks that having 9.3 million tied up in our goalies is dilusional. Loungo will not except being a back. Having these two goalies both here at the same time will be a cancer. As well for all you people that want a teams top prospect or best player NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Loungo contract takes him to a cap hit of 5.3 mill when hes 39. He's already regressing, we jsut need him to go away. 3rd line center 5/6 d men with a 2nd pick is all we need lets jsut get this done and move on! Just liek Loungo said ont he radio today.

Paul Haysom@PaulHaysom_Chek
Roberto Luongo was just on cfox where he said "it's been a great 6 years, but it's time to move on" #Luongo #Canucks
Expand

#148 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

Playing 30 games is different than playing the 70+ that he would if we were depending on Lack to backup. The risk is seeing how he handles being the only guy through an 82 game schedule. There is a risk, and rolling with a tandem next season isn't as far fetched as some believe it to be.

Lou didn;t play 70 games either nor did many NHL goalies....not likely to see Lack as the backup...that might be too risky...a veteran will probably be the safe insurance until Schneider proves the doubters wrong...then ease Lack in.

#149 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

It has been obvious since the end of the first round with LA.

Look in his face and listen to what he said.

Thanks for the memories,Luo.

#150 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

I recall many (including users of CDC) claiming that Luongo will "for sure be going to Toronto by July 1st," additionally claiming to have "inside sources" in an attempt at bring respectability to their statements.

With July 1 coming and going, I thought I would post so that we may all embrace and rejoice in the fact that many have destroyed their credibility, and thusly, we may never again have to pay attention to their ficticious and attention seeking ways.

Furthermore, with all the UFA signing in the recent days it appears that the Luongo trade that so many have predicted will not in fact come to reality. With Garrison recently signing, the potential for a Luongo deal or salary dump to Florida has come and gone, leaving a depleted FA pool and weaker trading block.

So now as it appears that Luongo is here to stay a while longer (my guess until at least December, maybe longer), how do the rest of you feel about this potential, are you willing to still support him, or are we going to continue trying to run one of the best goaltenders in the world out of city? :bigblush:

PS The fact that this may be the 1000000000000000000000 Luongo thread has not escaped me! :shock:

"Time to move on" said by Luo himself :lol: Luo just put egg in your face. Sorry had to do it, you where so sure of yourself.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.