yes he is...florida is da answer

#152 taib mahmud

taib mahmud

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

I'd say he won't be in training camp now that he said it was time to move on. Imagine him in a Hawks uniform come October !!

#153 Sick Hands

Sick Hands

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

LOL @ people who want a goalie tandem, im sure they both want to be the number one guy, and not even mentioning the absurdity of devoting 9.3 million to goaltending when we obviously have deficiencies in Top 6 and defence.

sigh..... CDC

A Toast to Aquillini for getting Torterella.

An owner who knows what the people want.

That's entertainment.

#154 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Bottom line and pure fact: Schneider is not a fully proven starting goaltender, we don't know what he fully has in the tank!!! :shock:

Players don't get a chance to prove they are a starting goaltender until they actually get to play.

Based on what I saw last season both in the regular season and in the playoffs, Schneider's ready to play.

Win or lose, it's on Cory now, better get used to it.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#155 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'd say he won't be in training camp now that he said it was time to move on. Imagine him in a Hawks uniform come October !!

Me too. I am surprised at his interview today but after thinking about it for a while I think I can speculate on what has happened with Lui.

He came here when the team needed a franchise goalie and he put that entire weight on his shoulders. He took on the role as Captain, in spite of the limitations he had being stuck in his crease.

After all the success, he signs a long term contract guaranteeing his retirement here. He was told all along Cory Schneider would be developed and then traded and a new back up put in.

Then Cory becomes so good Luongo gets benched and he is now furious as he feels betrayed at this last minute switch. When he finds out that the Canucks now have no intention of moving Schneider, hes pretty much crushed. So he and Gillis agree for him to go.

But I think coming to the media like this is pretty much demanding a trade now. He didn't need to state it was 'time to move on' until after a trade was done.

I think hes trying to force Gillis hand and maybe it works maybe it doesn't.
Posted Image

#156 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Me too. I am surprised at his interview today but after thinking about it for a while I think I can speculate on what has happened with Lui.

He came here when the team needed a franchise goalie and he put that entire weight on his shoulders. He took on the role as Captain, in spite of the limitations he had being stuck in his crease.

Luongo didn't 'come' here. He was traded here. Later on, he chose to sign, but keep in mind the main reason why he was traded in the first place from Florida is because of his desire to get paid. He also didn't like Mike Keenan much, but who does? Please don't paint him as a saviour, he was paid well to play well. And he did, especially that first season.

After all the success, he signs a long term contract guaranteeing his retirement here. He was told all along Cory Schneider would be developed and then traded and a new back up put in.

The reason the contract was so long was because, again, Lou wanted to get paid. To reduce the cap hit, Lou's contract extends into his forties, and most goalies are done by age 40. At the time, the Canucks felt he was the best option they had. As for telling Luongo whether or not he will be the Canucks goalie for the next decade, I doubt that even if they had told him that to expect this to be the case. No one can predict the future, and in the world of professional sports, glory is fleeting and things change all the time.

Then Cory becomes so good Luongo gets benched and he is now furious as he feels betrayed at this last minute switch. When he finds out that the Canucks now have no intention of moving Schneider, hes pretty much crushed. So he and Gillis agree for him to go.

I agree with the first part of the first sentence, but nothing after that. The point of a pro sports team is to play the best players possible. If Schneider outperforms Lou and earns the job, then great. It's obvious that Schneider has youth and a great amount of skill on his side, and the Canucks would be stupid to ignore this just to appease Roberto. I doubt Roberto is taking it personal either. This is a business, and a team has to do what is best for them. He understands this and Roberto will now do what's in his best interest, play on a new team.

But I think coming to the media like this is pretty much demanding a trade now. He didn't need to state it was 'time to move on' until after a trade was done.

I think hes trying to force Gillis hand and maybe it works maybe it doesn't.

The writing was on the wall right after the LA series ended. They knew he was going to be moved, it's obvious we just need to get to the date. Gillis and Lou will have to work together if they both want a resolution.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#157 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

Yeah,it is obvious what has happened as the decision was hurtful to AV and to Luo.

I love Gillis telling the media what AV did or did not say and I LOVE the fact Luo is now telling the media Gillis was full of it all along.

I am enjoying this-immensely.

#158 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

http://www.nhl.com/i...st.htm?id=10516

#159 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Another possibility is a team trying to get up to the cap minimum.
Might be worth a first round pick and a top prospect or rookie/second year NHL player and a tough 4th liner.

That would only apply to the final years of Lou's contract when the cap hit is higher than his salary. Teams that are cash strapped to meet the cap minimum aren't going to pay more in salary than the cap hit they are getting. They could sign somebody for one year at $5.3m and have the $5.3m cap hit as opposed to trading for Lou's $5.3m cap hit and taking a $6.714m salary on.
Posted Image

#160 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Yeah,it is obvious what has happened as the decision was hurtful to AV and to Luo.

I love Gillis telling the media what AV did or did not say and I LOVE the fact Luo is now telling the media Gillis was full of it all along.

I am enjoying this-immensely.

Any link to that?
Posted Image

#161 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

Obviously Luongo wants to go to Florida, but sounds like he will go to Chicago if a deal is made and has no problems playing in Chicago.
Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#162 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Obviously Luongo wants to go to Florida, but sounds like he will go to Chicago if a deal is made and has no problems playing in Chicago.

As summer wears on I'm sure Lou will consider other teams based on competitiveness and location. I really don't think he wants to be here to start the season sharing goal duties at best, or playing second banana. Although it wouldn't be a bad situation for us.
Posted Image

#163 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

As summer wears on I'm sure Lou will consider other teams based on competitiveness and location. I really don't think he wants to be here to start the season sharing goal duties at best, or playing second banana. Although it wouldn't be a bad situation for us.

Well from hearing what he had to say yesterday, he does sound like he will consider other options than Florida. Of course Florida being his number #1 destination, but at the same time hearing him say that he would like to be part of a contender as well and have a chance to help out a team to win a stanley cup. He obviously doesn't want to be traded to a team that he really feels doesn't have a legitimate chance at winning the cup, but will consider going to a team he feels has a good chance at least to make the playoffs, so this does open up a few more options then just say Florida.
Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#164 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

I recall many (including users of CDC) claiming that Luongo will "for sure be going to Toronto by July 1st," additionally claiming to have "inside sources" in an attempt at bring respectability to their statements.

With July 1 coming and going, I thought I would post so that we may all embrace and rejoice in the fact that many have destroyed their credibility, and thusly, we may never again have to pay attention to their ficticious and attention seeking ways.

Furthermore, with all the UFA signing in the recent days it appears that the Luongo trade that so many have predicted will not in fact come to reality. With Garrison recently signing, the potential for a Luongo deal or salary dump to Florida has come and gone, leaving a depleted FA pool and weaker trading block.

So now as it appears that Luongo is here to stay a while longer (my guess until at least December, maybe longer), how do the rest of you feel about this potential, are you willing to still support him, or are we going to continue trying to run one of the best goaltenders in the world out of city? :bigblush:

PS The fact that this may be the 1000000000000000000000 Luongo thread has not escaped me! :shock:

I guess you didn't hear his radio interview.
Posted Image

#165 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

For those comfortable with a goalie tandem I have to ask; what do you think will happen to Lou's trade value if he has another stellar October like his previous 6 or so?

#166 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

It's not to late... Keep Lu in Vancouver.

http://www.ipetition...o-in-vancouver/
Posted Image
Sig pic by -Vintage Canuck- Thank You!!!!

Love the Canucks!

Keep Loungo in Vancouver :towel:

#167 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

I would love nothing more then to see Lou in chicago and light his sorry ass up. I have friends from Chicago and they aren't happy about the possibility to say the least. Only thing that would be better is to see him in Boston.

#168 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

So many fans will look rediculous if Luongo doesn't get traded.

how??

i think the majority of us will be caught off guard
Posted Image

#169 ripsh0w

ripsh0w

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Wow....

Buddy hasn't even played a whole season and he gets promoted to team owner, thats impressive!!!

Maybe I am wrong............... :emot-parrot:

Buddy has passed every test put in front of him,
Buddy will win the Vezina trophy in the next two years
Buddy will win a Stanley Cup
Buddy is good

Posted Image

#170 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

I would love nothing more then to see Lou in chicago and light his sorry ass up. I have friends from Chicago and they aren't happy about the possibility to say the least. Only thing that would be better is to see him in Boston.

Its probably a little sadistic streak, but imagine if we meet up with Chicago next year playoffs, Schneider vs. Luongo. And Chicago fans are forced to watch a Lu meltdown again....only from their side of the rink! Karma's a B.......

#171 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Its probably a little sadistic streak, but imagine if we meet up with Chicago next year playoffs, Schneider vs. Luongo. And Chicago fans are forced to watch a Lu meltdown again....only from their side of the rink! Karma's a B.......

Considering how things usually go for the Canucks if he does go there and we play them in the playoffs they'll probably tool us and he'll win a cup with them.

Edited by TowelPower12, 10 July 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#172 Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

I could just as easily imagine Luongo owning the number on every single Canuck player and stonewalling them for the series sweep. Irony's an even bigger b----.
Posted Image
[Why 2.0? Because after 9 years, I lost my password and email... huzzah]

#173 our time is now

our time is now

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Luongo is going every where If u now what I mean

#174 1970 and beyond

1970 and beyond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

What if Schiender flops in the early season, then still having Luongo may not be such a bad thing. I would like to see him gone though.

Been a fan from day one. Some of those days were good and some were bad.

#175 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

Posting to see first page

Follow me on twitter @RealStamkos91

#176 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

Buddy is good

I have no doubt that "Buddy" is a good Goalie, but this was all said when Lu came here. A few bad games and fans and media will be all over him. This team needs to support whoever is in net plain and simple, it is the only way what you are saying will come true.
Posted Image
Sig pic by -Vintage Canuck- Thank You!!!!

Love the Canucks!

Keep Loungo in Vancouver :towel:

#177 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Buddy is good

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.