The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for burrows?

CC19

Alot of you are making fun of him for saying he feels 'bad' for Burrows 'cause he makes $2M,maybe that's not the correct word but i know what the OP means. I was actually thinking about this today, Burrows is getting shafted big time! He better get what he deserves this time. The guy is the hardest working, the most consistent player on the team. A do 'anything for the team' type of guy and he should be awarded for his loyalty.

Sure his numbers are better because of playing with the Sedins, but he would still be atleast a 20 goal guy without them, and what do you think a 20 goal scorer would get on the open market? I'd say atleast $4.5M. Brandon Prust got $2.5M and he scored what? 4 goals last year? Prust can't score or play on the PP and Burrows can!

The guy has scored some of the biggest goals in Canucks history, he is clutch and a multi-dimensional player who can play in any situation on any line. I hope he gets another 4 year deal at a ballpark of $4M a season

Burrows is one of those anomalous over-achieving players that everyone loves...he's scored clutch goals, played with his heart on his sleeve, developed his game to play in all three zones of the ice and in most situations.

For what he has produced over the past three seasons, especially since he's been put on the right side with the Sedins, Burrows has been remarkably consistent in my opinion. WHEN compared to what other comparable players in the league and what some of the other Canucks are pulling in, I think he is underpaid.

In spite of all this, he signed his contract at $2MM per year when he had only one real solid season under his belt and at the time he signed his contract, I would bet that building security into his own future was of high value to him. So, the contract he signed is what he should be paid, and no, he hasn't been hard done by this.

I respect that he's played hard and contributed a fair bit to the team's success, but I especially respect that he's kept quiet, his nose to the grindstone and played his heart out.

With all this said, he'll probably command more than $2.0MM per year, but the question is, does he become a diminishing asset beyond this season or how much more prime time does he have left? Is Burrows more valuable as a trade commodity, or does he get signed for "fair market" value?

I hope we keep him, but I would expect that it will take $3.0MM to $4.00MM per season to keep him.

I only feel more pride for having a player like Burrows on the team. He knew he was signing at a discount and has only shown appreciation to the organization for being given a chance in the NHL. He'll be rewarded financially in time but I don't think that's ever been a priority of his.

Kudos to players like Alexandre Burrows who are happy with "just a few million".

When you realize how much time you spend away from your family, friends, and loved ones, along with the unexpectedness that comes with FA/Trades/Line-ups, no, you wouldn't.

How UNAPPRECIABLE are Canucks fans? The guy takes a discount, yet we are still showing no sympathy towards him! This guy bleeds blue.

Right on target. I recall that when Burrows signed his current deal the general view was that he was being well rewarded -- making it big after coming up the hard way -- through the low minors. And back in those dasy $2 million a year was a lot of money.

Heck, $2 million a year is a lot of money now. Feeling "sorry" for Burrows is just plain silly.

I am sure he feels fortunate to be where he is, as do most NHL players.

And without the Sedins I think he would be no more than a good third-liner, PK guy.

In fact, I am afraid that he might the usual "problem" that guys who play with the Sedins have-- their numbers get inflated and they want more than they are worth (at least their agents do) -- and more than the Canucks are willing to pay.

And Burrows is not in the same category as Parise. (Although I admit Parise is overpaid.)

Guest BuckFoston

My GF is Indonesian.She has a university degree and teaches high school students.

She walks an hour to work and then an hour back for ten dollars a day.

Four months of the year she is not paid.

No benefits.

I think you are spewing nonesense - which is crap.

So what exactly were you trying to say? I see no relation of your post to my post aside from proving that pretty much everyone in the real world should be getting paid more than they are.

What is certain though, is a sportsman does NOT deserve more than the couple of million he is already making. Cut the crap

Lots of people saying they dont feel bad for burrows making 2m per year.

You are probably the same people that are going to cry when another team offers him 4m and he takes it!

Yeah he took a discount, but after seeing some of these free agent signings, he deserves more.

FYI he does not take home 2 mil, government takes their cut, agent takes their cut, and probably some trainers in the off season that would take a cut as well.

How many other guys in the NHL are paid 2 mil and play on the top line and PK...

The reasons people dont feel bad for him:

-He was an undrafted ball hockey player...

-He plays with the Sedins

a: Canucks are not a ball hockey team, he takes a serious risk every time he goes on the ice, and he plays against other teams best players.

b:Burrows is not Anson Carter.

Last I remember... he stole the puck from Campoli without the Sedins and scored the winning goal to (slay the dragon) beat Chicago and help move the team to the next round of the playoffs.

Maybe feeling bad is the wrong way to put it. I have so much respect for this guy, he could easily take his foot off the throttle and be a 2 million dollar third liner. Maybe he just feels bad for you so called fans....

Burrows... Do we really need him...

What I like about Burrows is that he can play in any role, whether it be playing on the 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line........ Plus, the powerplay and penalty kill.

Definitely worth at least $3 million.

oh yeah, i feel terrible for a guy who signed a good contract for the team, and gets the chance to play on the top line and generally play a massive role for his team. I'm sure one guy not feeling sorry for alex burrows, is alex burrows

Archived