The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for burrows?

CC19

I see a contract extension for him within the first few months of the season somewhere in the ballpark of 4.5M for 4-5 years. Well deserved obviously.

Until then, I will not feel bad for burrows, but will feel that he is underpaid in comparison to many players in the league.

A guy that gets 30 goals is a very good player. I'm sick of people talking about inflated numbers. Burrows scores almost all his goals even strength. You just can't plug anyone on a line and think they will produce year in and year out. Burrows should get a huge raise next year and I'm guessing he is going to be in big demand. A pest who drives the other team crazy and scores big goals? Serious money coming his way!

The man is being absolutely ROBBED. Being paid 2M/yr for 4yrs and is a legit 30 goal scorer and penalty killer. I feel terrible for the guy, someone would probably throw $5M at hm if he puts up 30+ next year which he easily could playing with the Sedins.

Zach Parise, known in the NHL as a true sniper and top line player gets a $98M contract coming off a 31 goal season. Putting this into perspective, Alex is due for a hefty raise after his contract is up.

What will Burrows get in the open market if that's what it comes to?

I don't necessarily feel bad for Burrows, but I definitely feel he's one of the best bargains in the NHL. Yes, he's getting paid huge money to play a sport he loves, but so does the rest of the NHL and all other professional leagues for that matter. Even 100K in the AHL isn't all that bad compared to the average Joe, but does Burrows deserve more salary than say Raymond? Would you rather have a Kesler than 2 Burrows on the team?

For those who think that Burrows is nothing without the Sedins, just be reminded that Sedins aren't on the PK and Burrows easily has the most shorties on this team. He's as versatile as anyone on this team and you can just about slot him anywhere in the lineup. imo, it's just about parity. The wonderful thing is that Burrows is not complaining or milking money out of the situation that he's been the best fit for the Sedins, and that's something to be grateful for. I'm pretty sure that very little people would say that Burrows is being overpaid, and that 29 other teams would sign him in a second at 2m.

Guy is a millionaire, has thousands of adoring fans, most of them girls who would more happily throw themselves at him, is in the prime of his career/life, travels the continent, gets to live in a nice ass city like vancouver in what I would assume is a very expensive place, gets to do what he loves, plays with two very good players for his job. Yah, I totally feel bad for the guy. :P I will agree though he does deserve a raise for sure.

I think Burrows is happy regardless. This was a guy who fought his way up from being undrafted and went through the ECHL, to the AHL, and then the NHL.

I think Burrows, like any of us appreciates the gift he has to play in the NHL. He's one of my all time favorite Canucks, and is a great story. I'm sure his next contract he'll get a "living wage".

"We have to get families back in the game, get back where Saturday night, everything stops. A case of beer comes out and a bottle of rye and anyone who comes to the house, they better want to watch hockey."

Bobby Hull

Right on target. I recall that when Burrows signed his current deal the general view was that he was being well rewarded -- making it big after coming up the hard way -- through the low minors. And back in those dasy $2 million a year was a lot of money.

Heck, $2 million a year is a lot of money now. Feeling "sorry" for Burrows is just plain silly.

I am sure he feels fortunate to be where he is, as do most NHL players.

And without the Sedins I think he would be no more than a good third-liner, PK guy.

In fact, I am afraid that he might the usual "problem" that guys who play with the Sedins have -- their numbers get inflated and they want more than they are worth (at least their agents do) -- and more than the Canucks are willing to pay.

And Burrows is not in the same category as Parise. (Although I admit Parise is overpaid.)

Archived