184 replies to this topic

#61 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,862 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

GOT LOTS OF RESPECT JUST SAYING NO SYMPATHY.... HE AGREED TO COME HERE FOR LESS.... DON'T PUT WORDS IN THAT AREN'T THERE!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#62 Bazooka

Bazooka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

He will get a raise soon enough, Burrows is Canuck property now.
BELIEVE IN BLUE

#63 TheWestCoastConnection

TheWestCoastConnection

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

2 mill is definitely a lot of money, not so much for a professional athlete, i do feel a little sorry for him but it truly shows that he is not greedy despite his skills.
Posted Image

#64 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Burrows is nothing with out the sedins he signed to the 4 year contract because he knew on any other team he would be a bottom 6 winger. If anything just make him home assistant captain

Gotta disagree with this. Burrows has become a high quality player in his own right. Remember when Kes got injured and Burr was pulling first line minutes as well as powerplay time and first unit penalty kill too? And all that on what was then considered the deepest team in the league? That says something. Burrows has evolved much further than many give him credit for.

#65 ILL BILL NECRO

ILL BILL NECRO

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

poor poor multi millionaire that could bang any chick he wanted and drive sports cars and party with NHLers and score clutch goals in front of loving fans........

poor poor burrows.
Posted Image

#66 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Burrows is nothing with out the sedins he signed to the 4 year contract because he knew on any other team he would be a bottom 6 winger. If anything just make him home assistant captain

Have you seen how much some bottom 6 wingers are getting these days? Typical moronic comment with no basis in fact.

#67 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

id be happy with 50k a year just to play hockey.

Yeah, probably looks good compared to the welfare cheque you get now. You do realize there is actual work involved in "playing" hockey, right?

#68 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

POPULAR

Lots of people saying they dont feel bad for burrows making 2m per year.

You are probably the same people that are going to cry when another team offers him 4m and he takes it!

Yeah he took a discount, but after seeing some of these free agent signings, he deserves more.

FYI he does not take home 2 mil, government takes their cut, agent takes their cut, and probably some trainers in the off season that would take a cut as well.

How many other guys in the NHL are paid 2 mil and play on the top line and PK...

The reasons people dont feel bad for him:

-He was an undrafted ball hockey player...
-He plays with the Sedins

a: Canucks are not a ball hockey team, he takes a serious risk every time he goes on the ice, and he plays against other teams best players.

b:Burrows is not Anson Carter.

Last I remember... he stole the puck from Campoli without the Sedins and scored the winning goal to (slay the dragon) beat Chicago and help move the team to the next round of the playoffs.

Maybe feeling bad is the wrong way to put it. I have so much respect for this guy, he could easily take his foot off the throttle and be a 2 million dollar third liner. Maybe he just feels bad for you so called fans....

Burrows... Do we really need him...

#69 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

2 million is a lot, but for what he does he deserves a lot more.
Not only the goals and assist, penalty kills and all that. But he IS the heart and soul of the Canucks, this guy puts everything he has into each and every game and what he did to even get a shot in the NHL backs my comments up. Dedicated and hard working.

Ontop of that, this guy is an amazing guy with the community and fans. Classy, and I hope he gets a well deserved raise. I love Burrows, most exciting player we have.

He plays hockey for fudgesicle's sake! My buddy is making 90 grand saving lives every day. He deserves a lot more. Another is making 35 grand teaching a bunch of useless teenagers. She deserves a lot more. Hell, I may deserve a lot more for what I am doing.

If we are really going to go there, this will take all day about who really deserves what. What is certain though, is a sportsman does NOT deserve more than the couple of million he is already making. Cut the crap.

#70 Burrows #14

Burrows #14

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Overrated player with Canucks fans in my opinion. I'll probably get flamed for typing that, but I still think he's overrated despite his salary.

Take Burrows off the Canucks and they aren't a first place team.... Not overrated

Clutch player that can play top minutes, pp, pk, shoot out. Any team in the league would LOVE to have him at 2 mil/year!

#71 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Overrated player with Canucks fans in my opinion. I'll probably get flamed for typing that, but I still think he's overrated despite his salary.

Totally agreed. It amazes me how Burrows is somehow untouchable here while people are constantly calling for Kesler or Edler to be traded. It's ridiculous. Burrows has more flaws in his game than most people think.

#72 Burrows #14

Burrows #14

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Lots of people saying they dont feel bad for burrows making 2m per year.

You are probably the same people that are going to cry when another team offers him 4m and he takes it!

Yeah he took a discount, but after seeing some of these free agent signings, he deserves more.

FYI he does not take home 2 mil, government takes their cut, agent takes their cut, and probably some trainers in the off season that would take a cut as well.

How many other guys in the NHL are paid 2 mil and play on the top line and PK...

The reasons people dont feel bad for him:

-He was an undrafted ball hockey player...
-He plays with the Sedins

a: Canucks are not a ball hockey team, he takes a serious risk every time he goes on the ice, and he plays against other teams best players.

b:Burrows is not Anson Carter.

Last I remember... he stole the puck from Campoli without the Sedins and scored the winning goal to (slay the dragon) beat Chicago and help move the team to the next round of the playoffs.

Maybe feeling bad is the wrong way to put it. I have so much respect for this guy, he could easily take his foot off the throttle and be a 2 million dollar third liner. Maybe he just feels bad for you so called fans....

Burrows... Do we really need him...

Agreed "feeling bad" is the wrong way to word it. No one should feel bad for an NHL player living out their childhood dream. He deserves credit for acknowledging this, being humble, and taking a pay cut for a chance to win the cup while playing the game he loves. I wish more guys would be willing to play for 2 mil with half the heart Burr does

#73 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Take Burrows off the first line and his 30 goals drop down to 20. GMs around the league aren't blind to who players play with. Every player that plays with the sedins end up scoring a bunch. You wanna give Lappy a raise too for his 2 hot weeks he had when he was playing with the sedins?

So you are telling me that PA Parenteau carried Tavares and Moulson on the Islanders first line?

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#74 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Well people were saying 2 million, it's incorrect.

He doesn't collect his entire 2 million salary after tax....

But 1,145,411 isnt bad either...just not as much as he could make on the open market

Edited by monkeydluffy, 04 July 2012 - 07:07 PM.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#75 Trevor19Naslund

Trevor19Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

AT LEAST HE IS NOT A GREEDY GUY.

Props to Burrows for keeping the team competitive. Obviously..he could of asked for more...but he didn't.
>> This VIDEO Is What We Live For <<
Posted Image
Wish List: Backes, Palmieri, VanRiemsdyk, Chris Stewart, Dustin Brown, Clowe, Burish, Stoll, Ott.

#76 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Then what is? $2M a year is a lot of money. If you made $250K last year you are in the top 0.7%.

I think the point is that 30 goal scorers make a lot more than $2 million and it seems that Alex bought the Gillis 'home town discount' theory while the NHLPA told Kesler and all those that followed Alex's contract negotiations to honor the membership,not a GM.

#77 E-ROD

E-ROD

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Burrows has heart and passion- these are very hard to find in all players.

#78 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

2 Million a year in Vancouver makes him "middle class". That being said he should get a raise, perhaps another 500 to 700g's would be sufficient.
Posted Image

#79 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

He plays hockey for fudgesicle's sake! My buddy is making 90 grand saving lives every day. He deserves a lot more. Another is making 35 grand teaching a bunch of useless teenagers. She deserves a lot more. Hell, I may deserve a lot more for what I am doing.

If we are really going to go there, this will take all day about who really deserves what. What is certain though, is a sportsman does NOT deserve more than the couple of million he is already making. Cut the crap.

My GF is Indonesian.She has a university degree and teaches high school students.
She walks an hour to work and then an hour back for ten dollars a day.
Four months of the year she is not paid.
No benefits.
I think you are spewing nonesense - which is crap.

#80 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,419 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

He does deserve a little more than that, Heck he scored one of the best goals in Canucks history.

He does and he'll get it on his next contract. The contract he has when he signed it was a good deal...now it's a great deal.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#81 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Alot of you are making fun of him for saying he feels 'bad' for Burrows 'cause he makes $2M,maybe that's not the correct word but i know what the OP means. I was actually thinking about this today, Burrows is getting shafted big time! He better get what he deserves this time. The guy is the hardest working, the most consistent player on the team. A do 'anything for the team' type of guy and he should be awarded for his loyalty.

Sure his numbers are better because of playing with the Sedins, but he would still be atleast a 20 goal guy without them, and what do you think a 20 goal scorer would get on the open market? I'd say atleast $4.5M. Brandon Prust got $2.5M and he scored what? 4 goals last year? Prust can't score or play on the PP and Burrows can!

The guy has scored some of the biggest goals in Canucks history, he is clutch and a multi-dimensional player who can play in any situation on any line. I hope he gets another 4 year deal at a ballpark of $4M a season

#82 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Burrows is a legitimate top six forward who can play LW/RW on any line. Meshes well with grinders, plugs, and superstars.

Worth at least 4m, what a massive discount he gave us.

Subbancopy.jpg

#83 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Burrows is one of those anomalous over-achieving players that everyone loves...he's scored clutch goals, played with his heart on his sleeve, developed his game to play in all three zones of the ice and in most situations.

For what he has produced over the past three seasons, especially since he's been put on the right side with the Sedins, Burrows has been remarkably consistent in my opinion. WHEN compared to what other comparable players in the league and what some of the other Canucks are pulling in, I think he is underpaid.

In spite of all this, he signed his contract at $2MM per year when he had only one real solid season under his belt and at the time he signed his contract, I would bet that building security into his own future was of high value to him. So, the contract he signed is what he should be paid, and no, he hasn't been hard done by this.

I respect that he's played hard and contributed a fair bit to the team's success, but I especially respect that he's kept quiet, his nose to the grindstone and played his heart out.

With all this said, he'll probably command more than $2.0MM per year, but the question is, does he become a diminishing asset beyond this season or how much more prime time does he have left? Is Burrows more valuable as a trade commodity, or does he get signed for "fair market" value?

I hope we keep him, but I would expect that it will take $3.0MM to $4.00MM per season to keep him.

#84 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yeah, Burrows is certainly hard done by...

Forget the SPCA and the Food Bank, start sending donations to the make Burrows slightly richer fund.

Even though you were clearly being sarcastic, I love Burrows enough that I would probably donate. So there's that.

#85 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

I only feel more pride for having a player like Burrows on the team. He knew he was signing at a discount and has only shown appreciation to the organization for being given a chance in the NHL. He'll be rewarded financially in time but I don't think that's ever been a priority of his.
Kudos to players like Alexandre Burrows who are happy with "just a few million".
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#86 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

When you realize how much time you spend away from your family, friends, and loved ones, along with the unexpectedness that comes with FA/Trades/Line-ups, no, you wouldn't.

How UNAPPRECIABLE are Canucks fans? The guy takes a discount, yet we are still showing no sympathy towards him! This guy bleeds blue.

dont like 2 mill dont accept it

what about ron paul who bleeds red blue and white?? yet he dont get supporters lol

what about KONY
what about the suffering dying african kids???
wheres is the love?

cry me a river!@! cry me a riverrrr err er

Edited by Instigator, 04 July 2012 - 07:47 PM.

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#87 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Legit 30 goal scorer? This guy would be a 15-20 goal scorer if it weren't for the Sedins.

Also, no. I don't feel bad that he's getting paid millions to do what he loves.

Right on target. I recall that when Burrows signed his current deal the general view was that he was being well rewarded -- making it big after coming up the hard way -- through the low minors. And back in those dasy $2 million a year was a lot of money.

Heck, $2 million a year is a lot of money now. Feeling "sorry" for Burrows is just plain silly.

I am sure he feels fortunate to be where he is, as do most NHL players.

And without the Sedins I think he would be no more than a good third-liner, PK guy.

In fact, I am afraid that he might the usual "problem" that guys who play with the Sedins have -- their numbers get inflated and they want more than they are worth (at least their agents do) -- and more than the Canucks are willing to pay.

And Burrows is not in the same category as Parise. (Although I admit Parise is overpaid.)

#88 vancouvercanucks#1

vancouvercanucks#1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

4.6 mil.

i am so sick of don cherry. get him the hell off ...hes way past his expiry date. I'm trying to watch hockey I don't want some senile blowhard talking about respecting baby jesus's birthday and not taking the lord's name in vain.

#89 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, Burrows is certainly hard done by...
Forget the SPCA and the Food Bank, start sending donations to the make Burrows slightly richer fund.

Great.Let's start by asking Gillis to fund it first out of his mega millions pockets.What do you think the chances are?
Surely,he can make up the difference of what his true market value is and what he actually receives and,of course,he was the one that allowed Burr to sign on the dotted line.
Light ways away from representing player's rights and receiving true market value,Mike.

#90 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Right on target. I recall that when Burrows signed his current deal the general view was that he was being well rewarded -- making it big after coming up the hard way -- through the low minors. And back in those dasy $2 million a year was a lot of money.

Heck, $2 million a year is a lot of money now. Feeling "sorry" for Burrows is just plain silly.

I am sure he feels fortunate to be where he is, as do most NHL players.

And without the Sedins I think he would be no more than a good third-liner, PK guy.

In fact, I am afraid that he might the usual "problem" that guys who play with the Sedins have-- their numbers get inflated and they want more than they are worth (at least their agents do) -- and more than the Canucks are willing to pay.

And Burrows is not in the same category as Parise. (Although I admit Parise is overpaid.)

So uh... remind me.

Besides Anson Carter, who has inflated numbers playing with the Sedins....

Nobody since Burrows has joined them eh... Why not put Hansen up there... or a big body like Booth...

Booth was doing too good on the second line right...

How about Pyatts inflated numbers, i mean the numbers kept getting higher and higher as the Sedins got better... oh wait, no they didnt...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.