184 replies to this topic

#121 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

Burrows was willing to do anything for the team and that included taking a home discount. Burrows and Kesler knew that the only way this team could contend for the cup was to keep the main core in tact by taking a little less. No why should we feel sorry for Burrows? He knew what he was doing and that was for the benefit for the team.

#122 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

Burrows will hit it his next contract, be it from us or another team. He's paid his dues to the organization by now and was already on a super bargain contract. His next contract he should be looking, and deservedly so, to get paid. If the Canucks want to keep him its going to be around 4 million per season for 4 years.

Couple that with an Edler raise to probably around 5.5 million, we might just have to let go of guys like Higgins. He'll want to hit the paydirt if he has a good season. Manny is all but gone.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#123 cyacry

cyacry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

Burrows deserves more period

#124 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

I dont feel sorry for him per se, I do think hes over rated as well.

BUT, he still deserves more like 3.5-4m per year as it stands, especially with the raised cap (hes only taking up 2.84% of our cap space for a first line player).

Posted Image

#125 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

Another is making 35 grand teaching a bunch of useless teenagers. She deserves a lot more.

Ah teachers, the most overrated profession in history.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#126 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

id be happy with 50k a year just to play hockey.

Not sure what's worse, your post or your support of Ron Paul.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#127 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

Burrows is a legitimate top six forward who can play LW/RW on any line. Meshes well with grinders, plugs, and superstars.

Worth at least 4m, what a massive discount he gave us.

It wasn't a massive discount when he signed, it was simply a good cap hit for us and a good term for him. A deal no doubt, but he didn't sign this deal yesterday.

#128 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

I would sell both my nuts for 2 million a year!!! Guy's living the dream and he's got a hot wife! He's got nothing to complain about

Nothing says living the dream like selling your nuts.

#129 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

he'll get paid next season nothing to be worried about.Just worry about the fact that he and edler will both get paid big money if not signed to extensions during the season...most likely both will be gone alongside higgins.

Edited by Mclean1, 05 July 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#130 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

Not even in the slightest.
$2million a year to play hockey, enough said.

Jagermeister.jpg

#131 gocanuckzgo

gocanuckzgo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

Ya, feeling sorry for professional athletes is not something I'm going to get in the habit of doing. If they were all making minimum wage they could still count themselves lucky that they at least enjoy their jobs.

#132 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

The man is being absolutely ROBBED. Being paid 2M/yr for 4yrs and is a legit 30 goal scorer and penalty killer. I feel terrible for the guy, someone would probably throw $5M at hm if he puts up 30+ next year which he easily could playing with the Sedins.

Zach Parise, known in the NHL as a true sniper and top line player gets a $98M contract coming off a 31 goal season. Putting this into perspective, Alex is due for a hefty raise after his contract is up.

What will Burrows get in the open market if that's what it comes to?

WT...F? Does Burrows feel sorry for me for making just 80K or something per year? Should he? No, Parise & Co. maybe.

Burrows represents the kinda person I respect the most. He has worked hard, got to where he wanted and is living the dream that he has had since being a kid. And still doesn't screw the fans that have to pay big $$$ to come watch a game that he plays in. And even after the taxes, he still has enough money to spend on things, cars, summerhouse and stuff he always wanted and still has a good hunk left for a rainy day.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#133 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

I have nothing against Burrows, I like the guy... But he's not a TRUE 1st line player in this league. He is simply fortunate to have chemistry with the Sedin twins who are both top scorers & playmakers in the league, so their points trickle down to him quite well! Sure, he could probably use a raise of a million or 2, but he's not being THAT underrated. He's happy where he is after how hard he's worked to get there from where he was... And like other people posted, he's being paid millions a year to play a sport he loves, it truly is amazing.

#134 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

Why feel sorry for Burrows? Alex wanted a shot at the cup and was willing to leave some dough on the table to help the team get the players it needed to get there. The problem was not Burrows, but loud-mouthed Kesler, who talked about sacrifice, and then held the team up for 5 mil.

He probably deserved the five mil, but he shouldn't have been talking about a sacrifice he wasn't willing to make when it came down to it.

#135 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

Of his 2 Million salary Burrows takes home 1,145,411

Source:

Spoiler

Oh my god! How can he afford to live?? I mean, $1.1 million a year?? That's not even $100 000 a month... How does this guy get by? Does he live in the streets?

#136 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

Overrated player with Canucks fans in my opinion. I'll probably get flamed for typing that, but I still think he's overrated despite his salary.

Holy frackballs, is that you, Clutch?

RIP LB RR PD

#137 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

I feel sorry for Burrows and I do think he is worth more.......However I also think he realises the being given a spot with the Sedins is like your brother giving you the keys to his Porche.

Nevertheless let's give him the going rate, it is only fair.
Kevin.jpg

#138 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

How about go back and see what his stats were when he was signed?

It was good contract for him then, and it's a sweet contract for the team now. He'll have his payday soon enough.

Oh and it was him who started "players need to start taking less to win" idea in the dressing room.

#139 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

I'd pay him 2mil just for his pk abilities. Add a mil and maybe a half for his offense as sedins are greatly responsible for his point output and he's easily worth 3.5 a year to me.
Posted Image

#140 thrago

thrago

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

When you realize how much time you spend away from your family, friends, and loved ones, along with the unexpectedness that comes with FA/Trades/Line-ups, no, you wouldn't.

How UNAPPRECIABLE are Canucks fans? The guy takes a discount, yet we are still showing no sympathy towards him! This guy bleeds blue.

But he took the discount why would we have sympathy for him? I respect the hell out of him for taking a discount but sympathize no, no chance. I think you are confusing sympathy and respect. Everyone I'm sure respects Burrows for what he does for the club, but your asking us to sypathize with someone that makes more in a year then most of us will in our lives. You can't honestly think that the average joe being us believe burrows works harder in a year then we will in our lifetimes? Burrows should have sympathy for us.

#141 gordfish

gordfish

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Overrated player with Canucks fans in my opinion. I'll probably get flamed for typing that, but I still think he's overrated despite his salary.

Truth is he's underrated by most. Works as hard as anyone on the team, on ice and off it, and he's pretty much the only Canuck you can trust to give you the same effort night after night after night.Obviously he has benefited from playing with the twins. Wayne Gretzky would have benefited playing with the twins. So what?

#142 justsayin

justsayin

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

I couldn't agree more. He's a third liner who just so happens to get top line minutes. He's similar to Hansen but he has slightly better finish. I think Burrows knows how lucky he is to play on a pretty good team with the Sedins most nights.

#143 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

I say the Canucks reward him on his next deal by front loading a 6 year deal. 6 years at 20 mill. 5,5,3,3,2,2
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#144 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

Ah teachers, the most overrated profession in history.

Boo.

It wasn't a massive discount when he signed, it was simply a good cap hit for us and a good term for him. A deal no doubt, but he didn't sign this deal yesterday.

This I totally agree with. Burrows signed this after having a breakout season. He knew that he had a good thing getting to play with the Sedins and seemingly learned from the Anson Carter fiasco. That being said he is due a raise on his next contract.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#145 Unpredictables

Unpredictables

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

not really, although he will definitely get a raise after this contract..

#146 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

I don't feel bad for anyone being paid the league minimum, they are still set for life if they are smart at all.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#147 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

Pretty tough to feel bad for a guy that makes more in one year than I'll make in twenty years.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#148 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

I will never feel sorry for a professional athlete. They get paid tons to play a sport...a sport.

Burrows is going to cash in anyways. I'm thinking between 4-5 million per year.
Posted Image

#149 coho8888

coho8888

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

For me it is not about 'feeling bad' for any millionaire or pro athlete.

It is about fairness and equitable distribution and if that is not addressed the workforce rots from within.

You work at XYZ corp.,for instance.Buddy next to you was just hired for four times your wage and yet working side by side with him or her it is obvious that you do the same amount of work -and maybe more-plus you do a more thorough job.

The GM won't renegotiate your contract,despite the fact you are being paid four times less than the newbie and you have made a much greater contribution to the success of the company.

That is when your GM is a dick and you are being used.

Why would the GM be a dick for not renegotiating? The player signed a contract and should stick to it regardless of how well he did or what others are making. What if he wasn't so productive? Could the player agree to renegotiate down? not likely that's going to happen.

The OP's original statement illustrates what is wrong with professional sports these days. Stupid money is being thrown out and the ones that pay are the fans that have to shell out riduculous amounts of money for tickets.

#150 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Great players don't have be paid super amounts to prove how good they are. Salary only goes to show how valuable they are, while stats show how good they are. For example, I couldn't find they article about Salavdor being resigned to the Devils, but he had only 9 assits in the regualar season, and got a pretty nice contract.

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by MaximTROLLpierre, 05 July 2012 - 09:37 AM.

Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.