The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So, with the Oilers getting all the goodies are they now contenders, or far from?

They would almost be better off trading off their prospects and getting a full team in return. It sounds crazy, but would you rather have the Oilers as your team, or a team full of veterans? You would lose your prospects and chances of being amazing in the future, but that may never pan out and holds huge risk of them leaving for nothing when the window closes with their ELC run out, and they start asking for too much money or want out because they are tired of losing. I don't know if it's an entirely good idea as I'm not an Oilers fan and haven't put too much thought into it (and don't care to).

They've got enough bad contracts already - they need to dump a few over-paid players before they stand a chance at keeping some of those young guns.

The trick to building through the draft is to have your young core develop at the same time. Edmonton's core isn't. Hall and Eberle are two years ahead of Schultz and Yakupov, so they will be demanding huge contracts before Yakupov and Schultz can make a big impact.

In short, Edmonton might have one or two mediocre seasons before the cap hamstrings them.

They need defence and they need to develop their young talent. They also need to hope that young talent develops.

Personally I think they should have drafted Murray over Yakupov. If you remember Chicago, they drafted left wing Kane, over the centre Turris when Turris was ranked higher (albeit not by much). They already had Toews. for centre. Chicago now has a strong team partially as a result of Kane.

I think the Oil are still three years away from being a contender . I would be very happy with their progress if they even came close to making the playoffs this year.

If I was the Oil I would sit tight and wait. The good times are coming. Do not trade any of your core guys except Horcoff, Hemsky and Gagner.

I think the Oil are still three years away from being a contender . I would be very happy with their progress if they even came close to making the playoffs this year.

If I was the Oil I would sit tight and wait. The good times are coming. Do not trade any of your core guys except Horcoff, Hemsky and Gagner.

IF they want to wait for 3 years, then they will be dismantled before that "Dynasty" dream comes true. Once Hall and Eberle get paid their 6-7 mil contracts and Yakupov and RNH near their end of ELC, they would only have one crack (one year) where they could have a chance to win a cup. If they want to win a cup, they need to be making the playoffs in the next couple of years, gain some experiences from playoff losses and playoff exits so they could win the cup with their newly gained experience. IF they sit on their lap and wait for the good times to roll, they might end up being the next Columbus.

The Oilers need a #1 goalie, not Dubnyk or Khabibulin. They need better defense.

They just got Justin Schultz but he hasn't proven anything in the NHL.

For a bunch of young players learning about what it's like to play at the NHL level, they are putting up great numbers. It will be scary to see what they are capable of this year and later on.

They also have Klefbom (sp?) coming up on D. Highly touted.

I see them being like Chicago. Load up with young talent, get to the playoffs (this year) then next year take a real run for it and get deeper.

Then they will need to move some players and re load.

This coming from a Canuck fan?

IMO, EDM could well make the playoffs this year. This could be a major transitional year in the West. The only 2 teams that I see who are relative "locks" to make the playoffs in the West are Chicago and Los Angeles. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see both Minnesota & Edmonton in the playoffs.

They willbe deadly up front. They have good D prospects. What they now have to do is compliment all of that talent with good role players who can play some good hockey and another top 4 Dman. They should be done getting high picks and now need to progres further. Hard to predict how much they break out this year.

Archived