Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

So, with the Oilers getting all the goodies are they now contenders, or far from?

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#61 Oilers9977

Oilers9977

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

They willbe deadly up front. They have good D prospects. What they now have to do is compliment all of that talent with good role players who can play some good hockey and another top 4 Dman. They should be done getting high picks and now need to progres further. Hard to predict how much they break out this year.

#62 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

I do believe if they are not in the playoff picture by January, they will tank. 9th place or 10th place finish is not an option, is the top 8, or last place for them. There will be a sequence of huge injuries to some of their key guys, renderning them useless to make a top 8, and bad enough to finish last again. That's how they've been doing things lately. I wouldn't mind seeing them Sign Shane Doan, making sure they won't finish last or anything.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#63 Cr8zyCanuck

Cr8zyCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Far from. And will be for a while. Still too weak on the back end. Goaltending in question. Forwards not developed or heavy enough for the NHL.

#64 Oilers9977

Oilers9977

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

I do believe if they are not in the playoff picture by January, they will tank. 9th place or 10th place finish is not an option, is the top 8, or last place for them. There will be a sequence of huge injuries to some of their key guys, renderning them useless to make a top 8, and bad enough to finish last again. That's how they've been doing things lately. I wouldn't mind seeing them Sign Shane Doan, making sure they won't finish last or anything.

So you are sayijng that Tambo and Co will go to the coach and tell him to go tell the players to stop trying?

You are telling me guys like Hall and Eberle will not try hard, ruin their stats, and ruin their contract year?

Makes lots of sense........

Players don't "tank"

#65 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

what goodies? a college defenceman, ryan smyth, and another top pick for being (almost) the worst team in the NHL?... sorry but offence doesnt win championships anymore, the 80's are over and the oilers will still miss the playoffs. barring any unforseen amazing trades for defence and goaltending... but they would have to be pretty amazing

Or you could say they added a top 4 Dman and potentially a 25-30 goal scorer for free.

Far from. And will be for a while. Still too weak on the back end. Goaltending in question. Forwards not developed or heavy enough for the NHL.

Forwards aren't development? Eberle had 34 goals/76 points in 78 games and played in the ASG last season. Hall scored at a 45 goal pace from November until his season ended. RNH had 35 points in 35 games before getting hurt. It took him a couple weeks to get his game going again and then he finished with 11 points in the final 13 games.

The young players and their lack of development are far from the Oilers problem.

Edited by Greene02, 12 July 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#66 Oilers9977

Oilers9977

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I always think the ELC argument is a tad overrated. The Oilers don't have elite talent on elite contracts yet. They will after this year once Hall and Eberle are extended. They still have Schultz on an ELC for two years, Hopkins on an ELC for two years, and Yakupov on an ELC for 3 years.

These guys won't make sky high money unless they are putting up 90-100 points. I laughed my a** off a week or two ago when I heard Tony Gallagher on the TEAM 1040. "Eberle or Hall could get 9+ million. Look at Hopkins. 12-13 Million" lol

Is that guy on drugs?

Edited by Oilers9977, 13 July 2012 - 10:04 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.