The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Looks like Matt Carle to Tampa

We paid Garrison 4.5 for his 33 points, the Bolts just paid 5.5 for Carles 38. I wonder what Edler will get next year.... He is easily over 5 mill... Hoping for a hometown discount... maybe 6 year 30 mill? Wishful thinking at this point. Ballards 4.2 looks pretty good now

There goes Detroit's chances of replacing Lidstrom. Now all that's left is Kubina and Roszival, and Detroit still has to replace Stuart. They're going to be in tough if their top pairing is Kronwall - Quincey or Ericsson.

5.5 million for Carle is rediculous, he's a 40-point producer but brutal in his own zone. Suddenly Ballard at just over 4 million doesn't look so bad.

Also, Tampa is stacked on defence now, so I'm expecting a trade for a goalie sometime soon.

Bergeron - Brewer

Hedman - Ohlund

Carle - Salo

Aulie

That defence is eerily similar to the Cup winning D's of Boston and Los Angeles. Perfect mix of youth (Carle, Aulie, Hedman), veterans (Salo, Ohlund, Brewer), offensive puck movers (Bergeron and Carle), big shots (Salo, Bergeron) and physical shutdown guys (Brewer, Ohlund, Aulie).

Most impressively, the average size is around 6'3" 215lbs which is what you need in the playoffs to deal with big forwards. The last 2 seasons, the big forwards of Boston and Los Angeles pasted through smaller defences, but they wouldn't stand a chance against this Lightning D. Now if they can get some solid goaltending I'll consider them a true contender.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/tampa-bay-lightnings-mattias-ohlund-rehabs-hoping-to-play-again-after/1229951

I like Ohlund as much as the nest guy, but there is severe doubt he will ever play hockey again. That's part of the reason Yzerman is adding so much to their blueline. Even if he does play, his mobility will be even more of an issue than it was when he played before and he wasn't fast then.

In hindsight, this is almost as bad as the Suter signing on a per year basis (of course, the term isn't as ugly - 6 years as opposed to 13).

Based on stats from last year....

Matt Carle: 33 pts/5.5 M = ~6.9 PPM

Ryan Suter: 46 pts/7.38 M = ~ 6.1 PPM

Almost as bad as the Suter deal. Worse in some ways when you take into account the fact that unlike Suter, Carle can't defend for ****. Ouch.

So a 40-point defenceman now costs 5+ million?

I was upset at Bieksa for 4.6 million but that has turned out to be one of the biggest steals on the blueline. MG is slowly starting to look like a genius again. Getting defencemen in the 4 million range is getting tougher and tougher, and he has 4 of them down for a long time. In 3 or 4 seasons 4 million will be insignificant compared to the ever increasing cap.

MG is a mastermind.

Archived