Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Looks like Matt Carle to Tampa

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#61 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

In hindsight, this is almost as bad as the Suter signing on a per year basis (of course, the term isn't as ugly - 6 years as opposed to 13).

Based on stats from last year....

Matt Carle: 33 pts/5.5 M = ~6.9 PPM
Ryan Suter: 46 pts/7.38 M = ~ 6.1 PPM

Almost as bad as the Suter deal. Worse in some ways when you take into account the fact that unlike Suter, Carle can't defend for ****. Ouch.

Posted Image

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#62 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Not surprised at all. One of the few defenseman left on the market.

#63 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

Lindback, he's as good as Schneider.

Uhhhhhhhhh nope. Less games played with worse stats on a more defensive team, and 0 playoff experience. He's got 2 years of youth on him, but as of now he's not close to Schneider's level.

Well, massive overpayment for Carle. Loving the Garrison deal a little more now. Still, Tampa's D is much more solid.
Posted Image

#64 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

So a 40-point defenceman now costs 5+ million?

I was upset at Bieksa for 4.6 million but that has turned out to be one of the biggest steals on the blueline. MG is slowly starting to look like a genius again. Getting defencemen in the 4 million range is getting tougher and tougher, and he has 4 of them down for a long time. In 3 or 4 seasons 4 million will be insignificant compared to the ever increasing cap.

MG is a mastermind.
Posted Image

#65 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,414 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Lindback, he's as good as Schneider.

Schneider is more developed and he plays a different style. Lindback is freakishly tall and Schneider is freakishly athletic. I don't know how you can say he's on Schneiders level when he hasnt won a starting job yet.

Subbancopy.jpg

#66 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,348 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

I was upset at Bieksa for 4.6 million but that has turned out to be one of the biggest steals on the blueline. MG is slowly starting to look like a genius again. Getting defencemen in the 4 million range is getting tougher and tougher, and he has 4 of them down for a long time. In 3 or 4 seasons 4 million will be insignificant compared to the ever increasing cap.

MG is a mastermind.

I love how in a matter of days/hours/minutes it's the opposite.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#67 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

Defense and goaltending were their primary issues now. I think they've addressed their needs quite adequately this off-season.

Malone-Stamkos-St. Louis
Pouliot-Lecavalier-Purcell
Tyrell-Thompson-Connolly
Pyatt-Hall-Brown

Ohlund-Hedman
Carle-Brewer
Salo-Lee

Lindback
Garon

they might make the playoffs

#68 bleednucksblue

bleednucksblue

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Because no one wants Ballard or his terrible contract?

On another note: Crazy money being thrown around. Canucks are going to get buried when the next round of D-Man Contracts are up.

If AV wasn't such a clown and gave Bally a fair shake we'd have a good defenseman who hits, fights,and can move the puck. Does he have some risk to his game? Absolutely. However does a steady not very risky Tanev type player make him better. Yes indeed.

Also...At 4.2 Ballard, if given the fair shake, is a steal compared to guys like Wideman and Carle.
You will always be on our mind and in our heart. RIP Luc!

John Garrett after a brutal pass by Olli Jokinen:

"Jokinen makes a pass 8 feet behind anybody, to no-one. That's Calgary's first line, unfortunately for them."

#69 bleednucksblue

bleednucksblue

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Lightning are stanley cup contenders again

:picard:
You will always be on our mind and in our heart. RIP Luc!

John Garrett after a brutal pass by Olli Jokinen:

"Jokinen makes a pass 8 feet behind anybody, to no-one. That's Calgary's first line, unfortunately for them."

#70 Phil Kessler

Phil Kessler

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Horrible, horrible contract given to Carle by Yzerman.

#71 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

MG is a mastermind.

Uhhhhhhhhh nope. Less games played with worse stats on a more defensive team, and 0 playoff experience. He's got 2 years of youth on him, but as of now he's not close to Schneider's level.

Well, massive overpayment for Carle. Loving the Garrison deal a little more now. Still, Tampa's D is much more solid.

if schneider played behind rinne, would you think he would get 25+ starts? obviously not

#72 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

:picard:

please explain to me how a defensive core of salo, hedman, carle, ohlund, brewer, lee and an offensive core of stamkos, lecavalier, st.louis, malone, and purcell do not equal a stanley cup contender.

#73 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

hmm...

Ohlund Hedmen
Carle Salo

"Meh" to that Defense.

Love Ohlund, but let's face it, he's waaay past his due date. Hedman really hasn't put it together yet and Carle is overrated.

Salo is now their best all around guy, however as we all know, he'll only play half the season.

Not all that impressed with Yzerman as GM

#74 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

MG is a mastermind.

Wait...wut....
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#75 Thunder Bunnies

Thunder Bunnies

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

Ballard and Garrison contracts don't look so bad anymore.

#76 Beluga Whale

Beluga Whale

Trust me I'm a whale

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

please explain to me how a defensive core of salo, hedman, carle, ohlund, brewer, lee and an offensive core of stamkos, lecavalier, st.louis, malone, and purcell do not equal a stanley cup contender.

Yeah see the thing is after those names you listed, there's nothing else, there 3rd and 4th line are s*** and they have an unproven goalie, that's why they aren't contenders. :picard:
Posted Image
Prestige Worldwide - GM of the Boston Bruins Posted Image

#77 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

Terrible, terrible overpayment for Carle. All I can say.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#78 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

That is a lot of money for Carle - makes the Garrison signing that much better. Really have to appreciate the way MG runs this franchise.

#79 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

I have to add though, except for being good at moving the puck and put up points, Carle is a really good shotblocker too. 15th in the league in that category actually

#80 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Ohlund is likely done. Salo may or may not make it through the year. So D is still pretty thin. Goaltending is a question mark, Lindback could be good, or he may flop. Forwards are definitely solid. I think they've got a good shot at the playoffs, but contender is stretching it.

#81 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

if schneider played behind rinne, would you think he would get 25+ starts? obviously not

Schneider did play behind some guy named Luongo who I also here is pretty good, yet he still got 25+ starts.So yes I think he would, Luongo is just as good as Rinne and likely would have looked even better than Rinne if he played in Nashville
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#82 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Yzerman in before Detroit. Basically last decent top 4 D out there.... hilarious!

Edited by canucksnihilist, 05 July 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#83 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Well, for one Ohlund may not play another game. Last off season he had surgery on both knees, and suffered a set back with his left knee which kept him from rejoining the club all year. Even if he does return, he'll have been out of hockey for a year and he was already on the decline. Salo might well have been signed to fill the veteran leadership role that Ohlund would leave behind. Salo is also another year older and showed signs of his age last season. Still one of our better defenders just because he plays such a smart game, but it is what it is.

As for the forward group, there's some good vets and some amazing youth talent. Still not the best top 6 in the east, and their goaltending situation is pretty shaky at best.

They'd need the best out of all their players in order to challenge for the cup. Their team isn't bad, but they still need to perform really well to even reach the post season.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.