The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How should MG go after Weber

Southpop45

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

we all now that with Suter now gone Weber will most likely not stay in Nashville. so how would you like MG to go after Weber because we all know that he will along with the other 29 GMS.

NOTE:

option 1: 8 mill for the next 10 years

option 2: edler, booth, tanev, 2013 first, 2014 first

option 3: 8 mill for the next 10 years

i know other teams would offer more but that is what the canucks should offer, not a fan of these 13 year contracts that parise and suter got

another thing to consider is that our window is closing a little more every year and the other teams like the oilers and avalanche are getting better and better so the longer we wait to make a big move the less of a difference it might make in getting a cup

Might as well get up to $8mil since its the same amount of compensation as $7.5, and that extra 500k isn't a big deal for a team that can spend to the cap limit every year.

I'd go anywhere up to $8.4mil, since we would have to offer 4 1st's as compensation at any price above that.

But I also feel like he could be a UFA next season, but seeing how contracts are spiralling out of control, he could end up with more than MG would be willing to offer.

If Edler has a terrible season I could see us letting him walk and signing Weber instead. However I'd much rather have them both.

Trade a couple of high picks, Tanev and some prospects for him so we don't lose too many roster pieces. May have to throw in a forward like Higgins or Raymond or Hansen to sweeten the deal. At the end of the day, solid defensive depth is more valuable than offensive depth. We'd probably have to trade Ballard somewhere for picks as a cap dump too. Lets say we trade our 1st, Tanev and Higgins for him:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Raymond

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Bitz - Malhotra - Weise

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Alberts

That is the single most physical defence in the NHL, with great size and skill from top to bottom. This is not only a playoff-ready defence, it's a Cup winning D, up there with Boston's and far better than Los Angeles'. Then come trade deadline we just move one of our goalies for a legit top-6 forward (eg. Ryan) and it's smooth sailing in the playoffs with all this size.

You can't predict what is going to happen with him. Suter is not a huge loss for the predator but losing Weber would be a killer. For us to signWeber we need to look like a contender for years to come and he is going to have to really want play at home, and be willing to take a cut. Teams are going to throw absolutely crazy money at him. Cost 8 plus a year i would think

One of the contributing factors in making Weber's career so far has been consistency. In his best years he's had the priviledge of playing in a tight, defensive system within a largely established division, strong role players and amazing goaltending from Pekka Rinne.

Weber is a great defenseman from all perspectives, but his cap value will be minimized due to his extreme exposure in the media. I for one suggest offering him a reasonable contract, even if short-term, and using Vancouver and a legitimate chance at a championship when he comes around for UFA. For example, if cap allows and our team roster has been set, we could offer 8.5M for 2 years of service, and depending on his acclimation to our organization as well as team success, he, and the organization can reassess the value of a more long-term relationship.

In this situation, he gets legit market value for a short period of time, granted be under more pressure to perform within the time frame, and he still gets to, if it doesn't work out, leave relatively unscathed and be offered another substantial contract before he even turns 30.

With all these ridiculously long contracts coming to players, some with serious health concerns, reaching to over-40, this should be one of the top concerns in the new CBA discussions. Is the league making enough revenue, as well as anticipating enough growth, to accomodate the massive actual salaries being paid to players within the relatively short time, that this practice is not harmful to the spirit of competition as well as forcing certain markets to dismantle their franchise prematurely?

While I'm all in for expansion in Canadian markets where sustainable, do we really want to see teams like NJ, PHX, CBJ sell off all of their value and face the grim prospect of being awarded top picks year after year only to lose them at the first opportunity?

Competition means there will be losers, but how fun is it to watch a team become a perennial basement dweller, like NYI?

we all now that with Suter now gone Weber will most likely not stay in Nashville. so how would you like MG to go after Weber because we all know that he will along with the other 29 GMS.

NOTE:

option 1: 8 mill for the next 10 years

option 2: edler, booth, tanev, 2013 first, 2014 first

option 3: 8 mill for the next 10 years

Weber and Suter and Rinne were not enough for Nashville to even get by Phoenix. I think we'd have to give up too much to get him, in money, players or picks. I also think MG can put together a SC team without him, although I see us being about three players short at present (second line set up winger, third line center, and a 6'5" 250 lb. D). Let's stop creaming our pants over Weber and focus on realistic obtainable players to fill our holes.

i know other teams would offer more but that is what the canucks should offer, not a fan of these 13 year contracts that parise and suter got

another thing to consider is that our window is closing a little more every year and the other teams like the oilers and avalanche are getting better and better so the longer we wait to make a big move the less of a difference it might make in getting a cup

If Edler has a terrible season I could see us letting him walk and signing Weber instead. However I'd much rather have them both.

Trade a couple of high picks, Tanev and some prospects for him so we don't lose too many roster pieces. May have to throw in a forward like Higgins or Raymond or Hansen to sweeten the deal. At the end of the day, solid defensive depth is more valuable than offensive depth. We'd probably have to trade Ballard somewhere for picks as a cap dump too. Lets say we trade our 1st, Tanev and Higgins for him

You contact Poile and tell him if he doesn't want to sign then let's make a fair deal for his rights.

If Weber doesn't want to play there then Poile calls and you offer Edler + Kassian + 1st for Webers rights. Then sign him to Suters deal.

One of the contributing factors in making Weber's career so far has been consistency. In his best years he's had the priviledge of playing in a tight, defensive system within a largely established division, strong role players and amazing goaltending from Pekka Rinne.

Weber is a great defenseman from all perspectives, but his cap value will be minimized due to his extreme exposure in the media. I for one suggest offering him a reasonable contract, even if short-term, and using Vancouver and a legitimate chance at a championship when he comes around for UFA. For example, if cap allows and our team roster has been set, we could offer 8.5M for 2 years of service, and depending on his acclimation to our organization as well as team success, he, and the organization can reassess the value of a more long-term relationship.

In this situation, he gets legit market value for a short period of time, granted be under more pressure to perform within the time frame, and he still gets to, if it doesn't work out, leave relatively unscathed and be offered another substantial contract before he even turns 30.

With all these ridiculously long contracts coming to players, some with serious health concerns, reaching to over-40, this should be one of the top concerns in the new CBA discussions. Is the league making enough revenue, as well as anticipating enough growth, to accomodate the massive actual salaries being paid to players within the relatively short time, that this practice is not harmful to the spirit of competition as well as forcing certain markets to dismantle their franchise prematurely?

While I'm all in for expansion in Canadian markets where sustainable, do we really want to see teams like NJ, PHX, CBJ sell off all of their value and face the grim prospect of being awarded top picks year after year only to lose them at the first opportunity?

Competition means there will be losers, but how fun is it to watch a team become a perennial basement dweller, like NYI?

trade Edler, Tanev, jensen and a 1st. or Edler, tanev, Gaunce and 1st for Weber this year with the guarantee that he will sign an extension

im still not sold on my own proposal but ur gonna have to go big or go home to land the big fish You would think Nsh GM Poille will try and get something for weber if he cant get him signed or he'll get burned 2 yrs in a row if Weber test the market as a UFA

It took a quality prospect and a 1st to get Ballard. Yet you believe a first, a bottom pair d-man and an average forward who'll be a ufa in a year will land one of the top 3 d-men in the league? lmao

Archived