Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Report] With Suter gone, Shea Weber could be on his way out soon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#1 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

http://www.theprovin...4956/story.html

There was nothing wrong with the collective knee-jerk response locally to news that both Zach Parise and Ryan Suter had signed in Minnesota.

All of the people who pointed out, again and again, that the chase for those Northwest Division championship hats just got more difficult for the Canucks were on point.

But it doesn’t take much to put a positive spin on the moves from the Vancouver point of view.

For one, it’s better Parise is in ­Minny for this upcoming season than, say, Chicago.

And better Suter is in the so-called of State of Hockey rather than Hockeytown, Detroit.

The Canucks are built to win now and the Wild remain something of a work-in-progress. It’s likely a couple years yet before the Wild could be one of the favourites in the Western Conference.

So, the powerhouses are no better because of it. Yes, we can see that is spin. But that’s one way to view this as good news over at The Roge.

And if we’re already in full spin, here’s even better news: The Wild deals mean Shea Weber is coming to Vancouver.

All right, that’s just an ongoing dream of many Canucks fans. But Nashville GM David Poile sure couldn’t do anything to pop their collective bubble.

Poile expressed frustration and exasperation with Suter leaving. One media member accurately told him he sounded like he just got hit with a jackhammer.

Obviously, he was crushed, and still in disbelief that Suter had left Tennessee. Poile even suggested Suter had lied, while calling out his agent, Neil Sheehy, who Poile claimed promised him this in November: “[Suter] is not going anywhere else. He’s signing with the Nashville ­Predators.”

That didn’t work out so well.

So, Suter joins Dan Hamhuis as big-time defencemen the Predators recently lost for essentially nothing. Could Weber, currently an RFA set to become a UFA next summer, be next?

It goes without saying fans from just about every other city in the NHL hope so.

In Vancouver, the burn for Weber is especially acute. He’s the type of player the Canucks have never had, and one who grew up in B.C. and played junior in Kelowna.

He may be considered the missing piece in Vancouver, but he is also the type of player the Predators’ entire organization is built around.

Poile said he’s doing two things next: One, looking for Suter’s replacement and two, doing everything he can to re-sign Weber.

But he did admit that just became a whole lot more difficult.

“Speaking for Shea, he certainly hoped Ryan would re-sign,” Poile said.

“I know if Ryan had re-signed it would have been a lot easier to have Shea make a commitment.

“I have to find out [if he wants to stay] now. I’ve already talked to Shea’s representative about a ­longer-term contract.

“The process and the timing was, everyone wanted to see what came down on the Suter situation.”

Has he considered trading Weber if he won’t go for a longer-term deal because of Suter leaving?

“You have to let me play out the process,” Poile said. “This has all happened, like 15 minutes ago. I haven’t talked to Shea today or his representatives.

“I have to get on to see if there is an opportunity to replace Suter with another defenceman. You have to allow me the opportunity to talk to Shea and you have to allow Shea and his representatives some time to decide what is the right thing to do moving forward.

“[Weber] is the guy we want to build our team around. He’s at the top of his game. He’s a Norris Trophy finalist. He knows what we think of him and we want him to be in Nashville for years to come.”

If Weber doesn’t want the same, you can understand why he may push for a trade this summer.

With a new CBA being negotiated, there are a lot of unknowns about how free agents will be impacted.

Will it take longer to become a UFA?

Will the league look to close the loophole that permits deals that circumvent the cap, like Roberto ­Luongo’s or the twin 13-year contracts Parise and Suter just signed?

In other words, now is the time to cash in before those rules change.

Whether the Canucks have the pieces to land Weber is another story.

Sure, they have Alex Edler. But he’s a year away from becoming an unrestricted free agent himself. And just what is Edler going to be worth in this climate?

If Christian Ehrhoff gets $40 million and Suter gets $98 million, it’s not hard to see Edler fall somewhere in the middle.

Whether he’s worth it is a debate for another day.

Of course, any Weber discussion wouldn’t be complete without mention of an offer sheet.

As a restricted free agent, if he were signed to a one-year, predatory offer sheet in the $6,268,175-$7,835,219 range, the compensation would be two first-round picks, a second and third.

Would the Predators match? Probably, but then they couldn’t trade him for a year, and next July they’d be in the exact same situation they just were with Suter.

And can Poile risk getting hit again with another jackhammer?

jbotchford@theprovince.com

© Copyright © The Province

Yes it's something we all knew would happen, but the reality is looking like it may be sooner than later. So do the Canucks make a push? Definitally starts with giving up Edler.

I tried searching but couldn't find anything related to this Article. Sorry if there is something already.

Posted Image

#2 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,602 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

:bigblush:

307mg00.jpg

#3 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

This is an article written by Jason Botchford. Everything written in it is purely speculation.

Has he considered trading Weber if he won’t go for a longer-term deal because of Suter leaving?

This is not news, nor is it a rumor.

Edited by WeatherWise, 05 July 2012 - 11:54 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#4 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Same thing that's being said around here, only this is from a guy who writes for a living. Doesn't really have access to any information that the rest of us don't.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#5 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,560 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Let's just wait and get him for free.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#6 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Nothing is free ;)
Posted Image

#7 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Garrison makes Edler expendable IMO. Trade Suave, 1st, Edler, Booth OR Higgins
Hamhuis-Weber
Garrison-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Forget that.

The Canucks should trade everyone for him and then tank this upcoming season for a high draft pick.

#1 overall and Shea Weber!!!

#9 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

And let another team trade for his rights and get a head start on negotiations?

What if it's Detroit who trades for him? Do you think Shea wouldn't sign with a perennial contender who offers him big bank?

Trading for his rights now makes a lot of sense. I doubt anything could happen before Lu is moved, though.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#10 k_man08

k_man08

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

let's not trade our 1st round picks ever again.
since we draft so late in the first round, i would be happier trading away any pick other than 1st and second. Those are the highest probability of being good players. rest are bigger gambles.

-Hardcore Canucka

#11 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

let's not trade our 1st round picks ever again.
since we draft so late in the first round, i would be happier trading away any pick other than 1st and second. Those are the highest probability of being good players. rest are bigger gambles.

We draft so late they're pretty much all gambles. I'd rather move favorable gambles for an established elite player.

#12 JordanEberle

JordanEberle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

The problem with trading edler for him is that they will be in the exact same situation. I agree Edler is the piece that the trade needs to revolve around except he only has one year left on his contract as well and who knows if he will want to resign in Nashville after a year. Its a risky situation for Poille and I there would have to be some other serious pieces involved for that to work. I think were still better off trying our luck at him as a UFA

Edited by JordanEberle, 05 July 2012 - 11:52 AM.

Posted Image
Credit: Garrett-6

#13 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

if you have assurances that weber would sign here, then i could see edler, ballard or tanev and a couple of first round picks being required by nashville...

#14 Nick Jen

Nick Jen

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Breaking news Weber and Crosby asks for a trade to minesota. Players are starting to realize Minesota is becoming the new Miami Heat.

#15 k_man08

k_man08

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

We draft so late they're pretty much all gambles. I'd rather move favorable gambles for an established elite player.

That may be but top 30 prospect is still better than 30 - 100+
Quinton Howden is an example. we gave him up for Ballard. He's one of the big prospects that everyone wants back from Fla for the Luongo deal.

We have very little in our cupboards in terms of prospects because we're doing with burke and other GM's used to do back in the day - trade away our picks for ppl we think can help now.

-Hardcore Canucka

#16 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

I'd like to see Weber in a Canucks uniform as much as the next fan, but the sensible side of me says sign Edler for double (approximately ok) his salary right now for the next 6 years and guarantee this kid is here for the duration of the prime of his career - this way you don't gut the system of prospects or strangle the budget with the type of salary Weber will command.

If Edler can be 80% the player of Weber (and I think he has that potential) for around 75% of the cost of Weber I say it's a better option.

That said, if the Luongo contract were unloaded for picks/prospects it would make Weber very inticing.

#17 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,861 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

Yes - not a report - an article by Botchford - who quoting Poile and stating the obvious, isn't as far out in left field as he usually is.

But you can always count on Botchford for at least a couple depracating lines.

"Whether the Canucks have the pieces to land Weber is another story.
Sure, they have Alex Edler. But he’s a year away from becoming an unrestricted free agent himself. And just what is Edler going to be worth in this climate?"

That would be a better climate than the one the Predators are suffering through.
How does Edler's pending UFA status reduce his value, while Weber's does not?
If I were speculating, I'd say Edler is actually more likely to re-sign in Vancouver. Would he re-sign if sent to Nashville? Yes, that would be a risk they'd be taking. The Canucks would be taking the same risk with Weber.
But the Canucks have assets. To suggest otherwise would be fairly typical around here.
Duh -you don't win President's trophies without assets.

Edited by oldnews, 05 July 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#18 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hamhuis-Weber
Garrison-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev

I love that defence!!!!!!

And I'd rather trade Higgins than Booth. Power-forwards like Booth are much more rare.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#19 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Wait one year for him to be a UFA. Theres no need to trade for him.
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#20 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,313 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Breaking news Weber and Crosby asks for a trade to minesota. Players are starting to realize Minesota is becoming the new Miami Heat.

Suter, Heatley and Parise dont even compare to the talent Lebron, Wade, and Bosh have. Lebron is the best player in the NBA.
Suter in my opinion is over-rated.
Heatley isnt who he once was.
Parise is great but he isnt 13 years 7.5 million great
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#21 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

I would love to first see Luo gone,then trade Ballard,schroeder 2 1st's and a 3rd or 4th rounder for Weber.I would then talk to Edler and resign him before Xmas.Edler loves it here and I agree is a close to as good as Weber and with both OMG!!!!!!!Our first round picks again are later and are not top picks , but I would like to keep them.Weber is a top D men in the league and giving them one or two back with Schroeder and a couple 1st's are worth it to get him if he signs long term and make it clear one 1st rounders is conditional of Weber siging a long term deal!
Posted Image

#22 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,259 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

I say sell the farm of picks and prospects to get this guy if he is available. Try to keep all the impact players we have if that's possible but I definitely see Poile asking for Kes in a package going back the other way for Weber. My guess is :

Kes
Edler
Jensen
2 - 1st Round Picks (conditional if Shea re-signs)
2 - 2nd Round Picks

Shea Weber
2nd Round Pick (conditional if Edler re-signs)

Complete overpayment I know but I bet that would be about the min. Nashville would want. They will probably want to mitigate the loss of Suter through a Weber trade if they realize he is done there after this season.

I wonder if something like this would get it done:

Tanev
Sauve or Connauton
Jensen
Ballard
2 First Round picks (1 conditional)
3 Second Round picks(2 conditional)

Weber
2nd Round Pick (conditional)

All picks conditional on whether or not Shea re-signs a long term deal.
Posted Image

#23 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,560 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

Nothing is free ;)

You're right, we could use him this year to guarantee a cup.

#24 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,560 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

And let another team trade for his rights and get a head start on negotiations?

What if it's Detroit who trades for him? Do you think Shea wouldn't sign with a perennial contender who offers him big bank?

Trading for his rights now makes a lot of sense. I doubt anything could happen before Lu is moved, though.

What does Detroit have that Nashville could possibly want? He could always pull a Hamhuis/Garrison.

#25 TheInsideScoop

TheInsideScoop

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

I think the amount we would need to give up to get Weber would not make us better.

I believe the conversation with NSH would start with Edler and Kesler.

#26 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'm glad people are recognizing what a hack and fraud Jason Botchford is as a writer/sports journalist. These forums get criticized a lot for a lack of intelligent, well written and thoughtful content but give most of the people here the opportunity to write about hockey for your livelihood and I think most people would do a better job than Botchford.

#27 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Weber is in disbelief.

© 2000, 2015 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

SuomenLippu.gif

#28 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hamhuis-Weber
Garrison-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev

:picard:

#29 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

What does Detroit have that Nashville could possibly want? He could always pull a Hamhuis/Garrison.

You're missing the point. What if *any* perennial or current contender trades for him?
The only stated hold-up with Weber is that he wants to make sure that his franchise is committed to winning. Losing Suter puts a real dent in Nashville's hopes, but there's lots of other clubs that meet that criteria. We do risk losing the chance to even talk to him by waiting and hoping that he makes it to free agency unsigned and untraded. Assuming Weber wants to play here as much as Hamhuis and Garrison did could be a mistake that kicks us in the face for 10 years if he signs with a rival.

#30 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'd let edler go i wouldnt want to give up kes booth or higgins tho..
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.