The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] With Suter gone, Shea Weber could be on his way out soon

Tystick

I say sell the farm of picks and prospects to get this guy if he is available. Try to keep all the impact players we have if that's possible but I definitely see Poile asking for Kes in a package going back the other way for Weber. My guess is :

Kes

Edler

Jensen

2 - 1st Round Picks (conditional if Shea re-signs)

2 - 2nd Round Picks

Shea Weber

2nd Round Pick (conditional if Edler re-signs)

Complete overpayment I know but I bet that would be about the min. Nashville would want. They will probably want to mitigate the loss of Suter through a Weber trade if they realize he is done there after this season.

I wonder if something like this would get it done:

Tanev

Sauve or Connauton

Jensen

Ballard

2 First Round picks (1 conditional)

3 Second Round picks(2 conditional)

Weber

2nd Round Pick (conditional)

All picks conditional on whether or not Shea re-signs a long term deal.

And let another team trade for his rights and get a head start on negotiations?

What if it's Detroit who trades for him? Do you think Shea wouldn't sign with a perennial contender who offers him big bank?

Trading for his rights now makes a lot of sense. I doubt anything could happen before Lu is moved, though.

I'm glad people are recognizing what a hack and fraud Jason Botchford is as a writer/sports journalist. These forums get criticized a lot for a lack of intelligent, well written and thoughtful content but give most of the people here the opportunity to write about hockey for your livelihood and I think most people would do a better job than Botchford.

I say sell the farm of picks and prospects to get this guy if he is available. Try to keep all the impact players we have if that's possible but I definitely see Poile asking for Kes in a package going back the other way for Weber. My guess is :

Kes

Edler

Jensen

2 - 1st Round Picks (conditional if Shea re-signs)

2 - 2nd Round Picks

Shea Weber

2nd Round Pick (conditional if Edler re-signs)

Complete overpayment I know but I bet that would be about the min. Nashville would want. They will probably want to mitigate the loss of Suter through a Weber trade if they realize he is done there after this season.

I wonder if something like this would get it done:

Tanev

Sauve or Connauton

Jensen

Ballard

2 First Round picks (1 conditional)

3 Second Round picks(2 conditional)

Weber

2nd Round Pick (conditional)

All picks conditional on whether or not Shea re-signs a long term deal.

Weber isn't going anywhere until the trade deadline at the earliest. A GM just simply doesn't let his top defenseman walk mere weeks after his 2nd best defenseman walks. Weber will play this season under contract with the Predators. Offer sheet from Detroit? Maybe, but the Predators will match it if they think they can compete this season (all signs pointing to this plan).

I can't see any trade happening for Weber without giving up significant defensive depth. You can't just replace Suter and Weber with 2nd pairing defensemen. You're looking at minimum 2 defensemen going to Nashville, and ask any GM they will tell you that you can never have too much defensive depth.

As much as I would go for Edler, Ballard, and Raymond for Weber, who would be *our* depth defensemen? It was just a few years ago that injuries depleted our defense corps, and Edler, with all of 1.5 seasons under his belt was our most experienced d-man at the time. Somehow I don't see Gillis going for it unless we have stokpiled good young defensemen in the system... is Connauton ready? Sauve? Do we need to sign a few more?

If the Canucks manage to keep Edler and somehow sign Shea Weber... that would be ridiculous. Long live the Kelowna Rockets...

I have full faith in anything Jason Botchford is saying. In fact, I'm sure Shea could stay in Gaborik's penthouse suite while he finds his own apartment.

Absolutely not!!! That's insane overpayment

If we were going to do that I say offer sheet him for one year and screw them over- of they match, he goes to UFA next year n we have another shot, if they don't, then we give up 2 firsts, a sec, a third for weber, who we'd have a full year of kick ass to give him the influence to sign

Here's my take on the situation. If we're trading for Weber Edler is going to be a main piece going the other way. Problem with that is Edler is a UFA next year and Poile is not going to take a risk like that. Other teams could have better packages for Weber than us and maybe a bigger need for him as well.

Then there's the UFA route. If he does hit UFA, which I highly doubt if Poile wants anything good enough in return to make his team better, then we're gonna have to make sure Weber takes a hometown discount. Then do we keep Edler? Dunno if we would have the cap space to pull it off but assuming that we can get Edler for 5m/year, Weber 6.5-7m/year, it's doable. 5.3 out from Luongo, 4.2 out from Ballard, then we'd have to ship another defenseman out, maybe Bieksa? All a theory though haha. Could imagine a top 4 of this?

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

Archived