The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] With Suter gone, Shea Weber could be on his way out soon

Tystick

This is what I'm anticipating. The loss of Suter is bad enough on it's own, but the ripple effect could be crippling. An offer sheet to Weber right now would be the dick move to top all dick moves, as Nashville would be screwed.

I say sell the farm of picks and prospects to get this guy if he is available. Try to keep all the impact players we have if that's possible but I definitely see Poile asking for Kes in a package going back the other way for Weber. My guess is :

Kes

Edler

Jensen

2 - 1st Round Picks (conditional if Shea re-signs)

2 - 2nd Round Picks

Shea Weber

2nd Round Pick (conditional if Edler re-signs)

Complete overpayment I know but I bet that would be about the min. Nashville would want. They will probably want to mitigate the loss of Suter through a Weber trade if they realize he is done there after this season.

I wonder if something like this would get it done:

Tanev

Sauve or Connauton

Jensen

Ballard

2 First Round picks (1 conditional)

3 Second Round picks(2 conditional)

Weber

2nd Round Pick (conditional)

All picks conditional on whether or not Shea re-signs a long term deal.

I say sell the farm of picks and prospects to get this guy if he is available. Try to keep all the impact players we have if that's possible but I definitely see Poile asking for Kes in a package going back the other way for Weber. My guess is :

Kes

Edler

Jensen

2 - 2nd Round Picks

Shea Weber

Complete overpayment I know but I bet that would be about the min. Nashville would want. They will probably want to mitigate the loss of Suter through a Weber trade if they realize he is done there after this season.

Tanev

Sauve or Connauton

Jensen

Ballard

Weber

Suter, Heatley and Parise dont even compare to the talent Lebron, Wade, and Bosh have. Lebron is the best player in the NBA.

Suter in my opinion is over-rated.

Heatley isnt who he once was.

Parise is great but he isnt 13 years 7.5 million great

Weber in a trade as an RFA would command a kings ransom. Edler, Connaut, Tanev/Raymond + 1st for an RFA Weber is what I could see him asking. Then there is his contract which will be 6/7 mil a year if he goes to arbitration. Its worth it.

I can see it now. Canucks tell Edler to screw off and sign Weber. Weber bust and Edler, turns into Super Edler in Detroit with a little mentoring by the great Lidstrom. Best defense man for a decade.

Kes

Edler

Jensen

2 - 2nd Round Picks

Shea Weber

Tanev

Sauve or Connauton

Jensen

Ballard

Weber

I would really hate to see Edler go, I think if we could manage to get Weber without giving up Edler, they could be paired together and I see Edler taking his game to the next level. Suter really thrived playing along Weber and they became an huge part of the success Nashville had last season as a shutdown pair. If Nashville would take Bieksa in a package instead, I don't mind parting with Bieksa although he probably has far less value.

For an offer-sheet, I think it may actually work ..if Canucks were to give up two 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd, Poile might actually not match because Weber may already have made up his mind and won't return the following season and walking on July 1st. So those picks are better than losing him for nothing.

As mentioned above, a 3-way trade is also a possibility in my opinion. Send Luongo to either Florida/Toronto, and one of them give Nashville their part of the deal and we take the rights of Weber.

I have a strong feeling Weber would take a discount here to play with Hamhuis and close to home, the only reason he demanded for 7.5M+ this season is he is showing he doesn't have interest in staying in Nashville. Weber is exactly what we're missing on this team, a legit big and strong #1 defenseman that can log huge minutes and be used in all situations.

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

I would do:

To Van: WEBER

To Nashville: Edler, Ballard, 2013 1st, 2013 3rd.

Weber replaces Edler, We can get a solid depth guy to replace Ballard. or let one of the younger kids get a shot. We get Weber we have one of the best top 4 in the league.

Hammer-Weber

Garrisson-Juice

Connatton-Tanev

I wouldn't want to see Booth or Kesler go, I wouldn't want to see Higgins go either.. We already lack depth scoring as it is, I'd rather keep Booth, Kes and Higgins and maybe do something like Ballard, a future 1st and a prospect or something. Trading forwards I just wouldn't see working out.

I would really hate to see Edler go, I think if we could manage to get Weber without giving up Edler, they could be paired together and I see Edler taking his game to the next level. Suter really thrived playing along Weber and they became an huge part of the success Nashville had last season as a shutdown pair. If Nashville would take Bieksa in a package instead, I don't mind parting with Bieksa although he probably has far less value.

For an offer-sheet, I think it may actually work ..if Canucks were to give up two 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd, Poile might actually not match because Weber may already have made up his mind and won't return the following season and walking on July 1st. So those picks are better than losing him for nothing.

As mentioned above, a 3-way trade is also a possibility in my opinion. Send Luongo to either Florida/Toronto, and one of them give Nashville their part of the deal and we take the rights of Weber.

I have a strong feeling Weber would take a discount here to play with Hamhuis and close to home, the only reason he demanded for 7.5M+ this season is he is showing he doesn't have interest in staying in Nashville. Weber is exactly what we're missing on this team, a legit big and strong #1 defenseman that can log huge minutes and be used in all situations.

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

In all honesty, Weber isn't THAT much of an upgrade on Edler so I'd rather try and sign Edler and maybe move Ballard or Garrison (if he has a terrible season next year) to make room for Weber. Obviously by next season one of the goalies will have to have been moved.

Essentially, trade Ballard for a 2nd round pick (cap dump) and Schneider or Luongo (depending on next season's performance) for a bunch of assets, mainly a top-3 forward to replace Burrows who will start to show signs of age. That frees up 8-9 million which we use to sign Weber.

Weber - Edler (both in their prime, wow)

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

That's the most physical, scary defence in the NHL by far, and will be backstopped by one of the league's best, plus we'll now have a nice 1st line with a solid 1st liner from the goalie trade. Offensive depth will also be there as Kassian and Hansen are likely to improve. The perfect overall team ON PAPER.

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

I don't understand why people are so scared of the Minnesota Wild all of a sudden?

Did they get a lot better and fast, sure but if we put it in perspective, they now have a top line that can rival any top line in the NHL but this is basically where it ends.

Do people realize that the Wild have only $1.3 million in cap space left and they only have two top four defensemen currently signed?

I've always had the feeling that Bieksa will be a part of a trade for Weber instead of Edler. And as someone else said give them something we get in the Luongo trade. Say its for Weiss & Kulikov

Vancouver:

Shea Weber

Nashville:

Kevin Bieksa

Dimitry Kulikov

David Booth

Manny Malhotra

2nd

To me that would be fair. We would have to trade Tanev to Florida if we're getting Kulikov so we can't include him in the Weber trade. Imagine a pairing of Ellis-Kulikov in 2-3 years. Weber-Suter lite in my opinion.

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

Ballard - Connauton

Archived